Texas > Seguin: Burnt Bean Barbecue Co

GaryP

TVWBB Pro
Had a PTO day left I had to use so the wife and I drove up to Seguin to go see Ernest. Pretty good size line for a Thursday. Got in line about 10:40 and took the food to go. We walked out as the noon bells were chiming in the park. Ordered way too much food. Brisket fatty and lean, pork ribs, turkey, jalapeno sausage. Also got the pork steak special. Sides were cowboy beans, shiner rice, a mystery pasta salad(we asked for the special lemon spinach but it clearly was not) and potato salad.

First off, everything was very good. But the standouts were the turkey and pork steak. Cowboy beans and shiner rice were our favorite sides. Which was nice because we didn't even order the rice but it ended up in the bag. Brisket and ribs were very flavorful and juicy. Ribs were definitely more fall off the bone than we prefer. But as I said, I was not disappointed. The pork steak is huge and was very tender. Could almost shred with a fork like a butt. I am definitely going to try and replicate this at home. They set us up with sauce, onions, pickles and bread if you wanted it. I'll have leftovers for a few days of lunches at least.

When it was our turn the man himself was at the board, wearing a Franklin shirt! I asked if I could take his photo slicing my meat and he obliged with a quick pose. We chatted for a minute and he handed me a big bite of turkey to munch. He seems like a really cool guy and let's face it, he is the face of burnt bean and it's awesome to have him cutting your meat and seeing the pride he takes in it. You can definitely see from the menu and specials the change in tide of Texas bbq and thats a big part of what put it in the top group of the 50 this year. I would 100% go back and can't wait to try Sunday brunch. Viva Bbq! IMG20220721111922.jpgIMG20220721113337.jpgIMG20220721115323.jpgIMG20220721120138.jpgIMG20220721121233.jpg

that just looks fabulous! hopefully it tasted even better! going to buy a turkey breast next month and smoke it. it just looks so juicy and goooood. and that link..... mmmmmmmmmmm

That looks awesome. What did you mean by "...the menu and specials the change in tide of Texas bbq.."? What exactly is changing? I'm not all that familiar with TX, just trying to follow along. Thanks.

That looks awesome. What did you mean by "...the menu and specials the change in tide of Texas bbq.."? What exactly is changing? I'm not all that familiar with TX, just trying to follow along. Thanks.
This was discussed a little bit when the top 50 was announced. Up until reciently it seemed a lot of spots were making the same old stuff, ribs, brisket, sausage and potato salad and Mac and cheese. Now more specials are popping up especially as sides. Things like barbacoa, street corn, tacos, bbq made with non Texas traditional spices and seasonings, and a lot of different desserts. Places are looking for ways to stand out and create new things. A couple people said they are just catching up with the rest of the country, and I can't really say that's incorrect. Again this is just my opinion based on what I see, but if you look at the the top 50 list especially near the top, you will see a lot of things being offered that were not just a few years ago.

The crust on the pork steak is through the roof !!

I'd like to know how they did that, it looks like they used a brisket rub.

The crust on the pork steak is through the roof !!

I'd like to know how they did that, it looks like they used a brisket rub.
It very well could have been. Very pepper forward without being too much. He pulled them out of the hotbox individually (were foil wrapped), and placed them in the box then dumped the juice on top. On the brisket and pork I taste just a super light touch of sweetness which I assume will help the bark. The brisket was done in butcher paper, it's bark was on another level obviously. The pan with the other meats got a quick squirt on sauce which I think was for the turkey. I wasn't paying close enough attention but my wife believes she saw it the same way. And I didn't ask, but my very limited stick burning nose smelled post oak and I think pecan on the meat.

So in a few weeks I think I'll fire up the offset and try a few of these. Smoke til bark looks good then finish in foil. They were thick, probably close to an inch an a half. Got me excited to try new some new flavors and techniques.

This was discussed a little bit when the top 50 was announced. Up until reciently it seemed a lot of spots were making the same old stuff, ribs, brisket, sausage and potato salad and Mac and cheese. Now more specials are popping up especially as sides. Things like barbacoa, street corn, tacos, bbq made with non Texas traditional spices and seasonings, and a lot of different desserts. Places are looking for ways to stand out and create new things. A couple people said they are just catching up with the rest of the country, and I can't really say that's incorrect. Again this is just my opinion based on what I see, but if you look at the the top 50 list especially near the top, you will see a lot of things being offered that were not just a few years ago.
A few years ago, the sides were barely an afterthought in Central Texas, but everyone seems to have upped their game. Sides are much better and more creative now. I agree with you that barbecue joints are trying to stand out from the crowd with non-traditional offerings. We go down to Seguin to visit friends fairly often and the Burnt Bean is now on the lunch list. It's also great that we don't have to drive all the way up to Lexington for one of Tootsie's pork steaks.

It's a great time be hungry!

Jeff

Back