Texas Monthly Top 50 is out.

I have just spent the last waaaaaay to long looking at this. This makes me hungry as.........&%$#........!
I have been to Texas for some relax time a few years back.....but live pretty darn far away. I didn't really know that bbq was pretty much the 3 staples of brisket, sausage and ribs. I bbq everything and call it all bbq. No one gets mad about it up here and there isn't much competition around.
There may only be 50 bbq joints within a pretty good range around me, I would have to make the list :LOL:

Thanks for posting Dustin.

Johnny White,one of the owners has a Youtube channel.

There's some good info there but the production of the videos is horrendous. He's pretty transgressive against some conventional wisdom, such running a clean fire and how he starts his pit (lighter fluid). He's worked for Valentinas and Franklin in the past. A lot of the guys there worked for other joints. I haven't checked out the restaurant. I probably will if I'm ever in Ft. Worth.

I have really wanted to go to the burnt bean but haven't had the chance this year. I may be waiting in a longer line after this.

I gotta first say, that I'm an outsider looking in on what happens in our large neighbor state to the south, but this " new " direction, is confusing.

There's a new generation of Texas pitmasters in town, many of whom aren't satisfied with doing things the same old way.

Ohhh , so they're smoking barbecue like the rest of the country has done for years ?

Texans have come across the Red River to eat barbecue in Oklahoma and turned their noses up , for years. We have some pretty strong competition barbecue people here in the state, whose barbecue won't pass muster with Texans.

Okie Dave Bouska aka Butcher BBQ, who appeared on BBQ Pitmasters two or three times, whose won some national barbecue contests like the Jack Daniels, opened up a barbecue joint ( or actually, it was his son ) . Well, Daniel Vaughan shows up ( it seems Vaughn's wife's family lives in OKC ). And he gave Bouska's joint a big thumbs down on Twitter. He says the brisket was injected .............. OHHH THE HORROR !!! Had nothing good to say about a joint here in Oklahoma that had people lined up to eat their great barbecue. Its almost as if, Vaughn thought us Okies had no idea what " real barbecue " was. Heck, we dumb Okies thought Butcher BBQ was really good.

Which Oklahoma barbecue is really Kansas City barbecue. Why is injecting brisket, as has been done in KC for years and years, not considered " new and creative " ?

Joe Davidson, aka Oklahoma Joe , has been promoting smoked bologna here in the state for 30 years. Its on the menu of almost all the joints . They would not think about smoked bologna in Texas ................ oohhh but wait, its now on the menu of this new creative artisan group of pitmasters who were just named the top joint in Texas, Goldees, by the barbecue authority, Texas Monthly.

Have Texans just now discovered what the rest of the country has been doing with barbecue for a long time, all the while they've been touting that brisket simply seasoned with salt/pepper and smoked with a post oak fire, is the only barbecue worth eating ?

In an interview with Daniel Vaughn, Oklahoma Joe Davidson was asked what he thought about Texas brisket , and he said it was very good " but it can be so much more " . Hey , I agree , its almost as if it could be used as taco meat in Texmex ? How's that for a " new creative " idea ?

Heck, my first briskets 20 years ago were seasoned with Daddy Hinkle's marinade. We took an ice pick and punched holes in the fat cap and poured the marinade over it, hoping it would seep in. Very primitive form of injection. And then we used Daddy Hinkles rub. Why was this not " creative and new " ?

We've even got a very popular joint in Tulsa, Burn Co barbecue, that smokes meats on Hasty Bake smokers using charcoal and hickory wood chunks out of plastic bags, like we would buy at Home Depot, that pours out all kinds of white billowy smoke. Steven Raichlen has visited and gave it a big thumbs up. And now I see that one of the young phenoms at Goldee's, on his YT channel , says we need to choke off our fire on offsets to create more billowy white smoke. But this young man is cutting edge. Who knew ???

Last edited:
I gotta first say, that I'm an outsider looking in on what happens in our large neighbor state to the south, but this " new " direction, is confusing.
Come on, Lynn, tell us what you REALLY think! :D

Just want to ask again, has anyone been to Goldee's Barbecue in Fort Worth?

Well, that may or may not be what I really think, I had my tongue planted firmly into my cheek, it was meant to be facetious along with a tiny bit of mockery.

But it does appear that Texas barbecue is losing its identity. Just from the outside , looking in.

I saw a comment the other day that there's been a fusion of regional barbecue styles, probably brought on by the internet. I think there may be a lot of truth to that.

Lynn, I know you aren’t just now discovering that Texans think everything of themselves. They’ve come to Wyoming and.....man, Texas this Texas that. Then go back to Texas, oh wait the money is up here. Funny how Texas money isn’t always all that great, they spend an awful lot of time chasing Wyoming, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania money. But they sure talk Texas up.

Oh well, most folks from Texas are just fine, simply have to get past that Texas romance🤣

Oh well, most folks from Texas are just fine, simply have to get past that Texas romance🤣

If for some reason, I could no longer live in Oklahoma, I'd be on I-35 headed south about as fast as I could get there. I lived in Houston , 1979/80 and really enjoyed it . Yeah, the "everything is bigger and better in Texas " mantra has been around for forever and they do live it, but I know my state could use a bit more of being proud of where we live.

I'm just confused as to where they're going with their barbecue, it seems they're trying to butter both sides of their bread. They want to hold on to their traditional barbecue but change it into something else, at the same time. When they're touting pork belly burnt ends and birria tacos, it makes ya wonder. That may all be an illusion created by Texas Monthly on this list they publish, but I've also listened to a podcast originating from Houston, that's pretty much bored with the Texas Trinity. Its not hard to tell.

But heck, I'm not down there. It just looks that way from here. And it is a big state. I doubt if everyone follows Daniel Vaughn around, like a school of minnows.

Lynn, I know you aren’t just now discovering that Texans think everything of themselves. They’ve come to Wyoming and.....man, Texas this Texas that. Then go back to Texas, oh wait the money is up here. Funny how Texas money isn’t always all that great, they spend an awful lot of time chasing Wyoming, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania money. But they sure talk Texas up.

I've been known to tell overly-enthusiastic Texans that if they're not careful, we'll cut Alaska in two and make Texas the THIRD largest state. They usually quiet down after that.

;)

Well, that may or may not be what I really think, I had my tongue planted firmly into my cheek, it was meant to be facetious along with a tiny bit of mockery.

But it does appear that Texas barbecue is losing its identity. Just from the outside , looking in.

I saw a comment the other day that there's been a fusion of regional barbecue styles, probably brought on by the internet. I think there may be a lot of truth to that.
Homogenization is a real trend in this country. We're losing our regional accents and language patterns (people around here increasingly refer to a Coke as 'soda', instead of the proper 'pop', for instance.) Not surprising that barbecue is going through the same evolution.

It's less an internet phenomenon, I think, than the natural result of people moving around the country so easily.

Johnny White,one of the owners has a Youtube channel.

There's some good info there but the production of the videos is horrendous. He's pretty transgressive against some conventional wisdom, such running a clean fire and how he starts his pit (lighter fluid). He's worked for Valentinas and Franklin in the past. A lot of the guys there worked for other joints. I haven't checked out the restaurant. I probably will if I'm ever in Ft. Worth.
I tried to watch a few of his videos but couldn't make it completely through. Too much rambling, interspersed with lots of umms, and uhhs, and a Beavis and Butthead/stoner giggle. I'm sure that he's got some great information, but the production was not for me.

One I think is pretty enlightening is the 2nd brisket slicing video where he describes what he's doing. There's some fine points that I don't think you'll see anywhere else. There's almost a level of sleight of hand to getting tallow on the slices to make them look super juicy.

Just want to ask again, has anyone been to Goldee's Barbecue in Fort Worth?

Chris, here's a vid from a barbecue run made by Chud and Evan Leroy of Leroy and Lewis barbecue ( #5 on TM's list ) in Austin. They went to Goldee's. Might get the general gist of Goldees from this. Although, they were wearing masks and I had trouble understanding what they were saying.

And I need to correct my post above, where I attributed the smoked bologna to Goldee's, it was actually at Panther City barbecue, which they also visited on this run. And Panther City is #10 on TM's list. My memory is not worth a damn , these days.

Texas BBQ isn't any better or worse than KC, Oklahoma, Memphis, or BBQ in our backyards, its just TX BBQ. They are proud of it, and that's OK. I actually like Tx style BBQ brisket, ribs, and chicken, but serving BBQ with slices of white bread and plain old pinto beans isn't for me.

Homogenization is a real trend in this country. We're losing our regional accents and language patterns (people around here increasingly refer to a Coke as 'soda', instead of the proper 'pop', for instance.) Not surprising that barbecue is going through the same evolution.

It's less an internet phenomenon, I think, than the natural result of people moving around the country so easily.
Yes haha. It’s pop, Wyoming! People ask me if they can have a soda or if I’d like a soda with them, I say “what’s a soda?”

Back