Texas Monthly "Top 50" BBQ Joints

G.A. Green

TVWBB Member
For those interested in "Texas" BBQ - this is a really informative article - http://www.texasmonthly.com/magazine/bbq

It is quite an honor to make this list and inspires MUCH discussion/argument statewide about who's in & who's out!

I got to hit a couple on a recent trip home. GIDDINGS Meat Market brisket - WHEW, good! The article also has a Google map with pins for all the list makers. Fellow Texicans, enjoy!
icon_smile.gif

Did I read it right? Do you have to subscribe in order to read the article? It looked like that was the case. It would be an intresting read though.

I have only tried a few places in and around Austin, and I got to say, if there is a place that makes brisket better than Salt Lick, then I want to go there on an empty stomach.

Is it something you can cut and paste portions of and share it here?

Most of us know the answer to number 1, we had a post about it yesteday. Some little bbq stand that is only open on Saturdays, and the guy is thinking about closing if it gets too busy for him to handle.

The lady that runs the cooking at Snow's came from Giddings Meat Market, she had been there almost 30 years if I recall.
Just Google Snow's bbq and you'll get all the info you could ever want.

I ranted about the Texas Monthly staff going for the 'mystique' of a place that's out of the way and has limited supplies of meat. One other thing that rubs me the wrong way is that in the Preface to this years' quest for the best, they talk about how gas smokers are becoming more numerous and that it may sound the death knoll for all things holy in Texas BBQ...blah, blah... then proceed to hand out 9 of the top 50 spots to places using gas.

Tom - I'll check but I think copyright law would frown on pasting.

Scott - (surely you're not an Aggie!
icon_smile.gif

It figures the Snow lady is from Giddings - excellent brisket (post oak, simple salt/pepper rub) Ribs were so-so, same for sausage.

As to Austin TM people, well, they can be a bit "out there" if you know what I mean!

Sic Em Bears!

Surely I am! Class of '85....man, that sounds like a long time ago.
As far as the Austin TM people, well they don't say "Keep Austin Weird" for nothing.
I think Bexley (the owner) is using a different sausage recipe, I've heard a lot of good things about it, and everybody that I know from that area has told me that their chicken is outstanding. I get the impression that they do all their meats kind of high-temp, around 4 hours or less for everything including the brisket, at least that's what all the writers have indicated. But again, I don't know what they know (or most likely don't know) about reporting accurate information. I do know that Snow's has had to go from roughly 300 lbs of meat a week to 800.
G. A., I take it you're Baylor material? If so, take heart..A&M and Baylor are both going to have new Football coaches this year!

In the article about Snow's I don't understand the math here:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
"every Saturday she arrives at three a.m. and builds the fires. She starts the meat smoking at four and wraps the brisket in butcher paper around six or seven."
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The place opens at 8am. So...

How do you cook all that bbq in 2 or 3 hours? That must be some high heat brisket!
icon_wink.gif

(Obviously, if she were actually only reheating meats than that makes more sense.)

Any theories (conspiracy or otherwise)?

I have not been to Snow's, but have been a frequent visitor to the Luling City Market for many years. I do not think the joints in Lockhart, Taylor or Llano come close to City Market. Their brisket and ribs are great, but what sets it apart from all others is their SAUSAGE. It is simply the best I have ever had and there are no close seconds. I buy a frozen box of 80% cooked sausages on every trip. These finish off easily on a grill for 15-20 minutes or an hour or so in the Weber Smoker. There is hardly any fat.

If you are ever near Luling (between San Antonio and Houston off IH-10) be sure to stop.

Mark - Now you are talking when you talk of Texas sausage!

I think I'm getting pretty close with the briskets and rib; butt is fairly easy as well. But these really good central Texas sausage places blow my mind. If I could learn to make that stuff, now that would be some good Q - and I'd soon be hovering around 400 lbs!!!

I couldn't track down a copy of the mag up here, so had my cousin in Dallas send me a copy.

Although I could eat brisket for breakfast, most folks don't. I think she is wrapping it in butcher paper, and throwing it back on the pit. Sorta like foiling, only using butcher paper. One of the places in North Carolina that I have seen on tv uses cardboard for the pit lid, cause the temp is low enough that far above the fire and it is just to contain the smoke.

Copies of the mag are also now appearing on eBay, so everyone should be able to grab one.

I went to Kreuz Market in Lockhart TX (#2 on the list) last year, and it was the highlight of my vacation. Well, maybe tied with the Friday evening in Luckenbach....I wanted to go to Cooper's on Llano, but spent too much time in Luckenbach.

Back