Texas > Luling: City Market

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
City Market
633 E Davis St
Luling, TX 78648

My wife and I visited City Market in Luling (pronounced "“Lou-ling”) during a Central Texas BBQ Crawl in October 2015. It's sometimes referred to as "Original City Market BBQ".

DO NOT CONFUSE City Market in Luling, TX with "Luling City Market" in Houston, TX. They are unrelated and the former is the real deal. There's an interesting article by barbecue author Rob Walsh that explains how the confusion came about.

City Market is a favorite of folks taking in the barbecue joints around Lockhart, TX like Kreuz, Smitty's, and Black's. It's just 15 miles south of Lockhart on US-183 and worth the effort to get to.

I did an extensive write-up about our experience at City Market here, with photos:

IMG_6193.JPG

Last edited:
Wife and I went today and grabbed pork ribs, brisket and sausage. We both enjoyed it a lot. Definitely could tell they don't pull the membrane on the ribs. We both preferred it to blacks in Lockhart. No photos, it was too hot and I was hungry!

Forgot to add, they do take credit/debit cards now so if you forget your cash, no problem. Also, as you walk in the counter for sides and sodas/sauces are now perpendicular to the door. So having read your review Chris I was surprised when I got in the door, but meat is still in the back and that's where we were headed.

Back