Texas BBQ Video

Tom Chips

TVWBB All-Star
My dad shared this video with me. I thought it was a fascinating short video about a Texas BBQ joint.

I found the comment that their brisket is done in 4 to 6 hours reinforces the fact that many places in Texas do use a high heat method, and have been for a long time. Give me a good sauce to go with that and I'm all set. I liked the sign that says Wi-Fi throughout store. Wouldn't expect it on a place like that.

Forgive me if the link isn't easy to follow. I need to go to tech school to learn how to properly post links to stuff like this.

http://vimeo.com/1614136

Enjoy

Hi Tom,

Thanks for sharing that video here, I enjoyed it very much.

Here in Australia, we don't have the BBQ culture they have in the USA so we don't get to sample much in the way of good BBQ unless we learn to do it ourselves. The BBQ style from USA isn't widely known here either so a BBQ would comprise of throwing a few snags (sausages) or steaks and anything else on a hotplate(griddle) over gas or sometimes charcoal which is amazing really because back in the mid to late 70's, 80's & early 90's, the weber charcoal kettle was the only bbq machine to reach somewhat of a cult status here and yet I never seen one till the early 90's.

Meat such as brisketts are not often found unless you order them from a butcher or they are a small, trimmed & rolled up and usually corned in a supermarket so for use to become well versed in things like Packer cuts etc, we have to learn from the experts here in these forums.
I do however see more butchers present more in the way of American style ribs, some marinated already for the lazy ones or raw and untreated for those who wish to work on them (like me)LOL.

One of these days, I'd love to do the trip over there and check out some of the BBQ comps (never happens here in Australia) and some good old fashioned BBQ houses.

We do of course have some American style steak houses here but they mostly grill meats rather than bbq them.

Cheers

Davo

Davo,

Enjoyed your post !!! It's funny how the different cultures approach what we (on TVWBB) call "BBQ" !! Here in the States, we get the Aussie stereotype of "throw some shrimp on the barbie" from the advertising for the Outback Steak chain....yet you guys remind us that we're all in the same boat !

Our Europe friends also post interesting stuff on their experiences....I had a totally different interpretation of what a "joint" was until I read some of what our UK folks said <g> !

Thanks again, and keep on posting and sharing !

Dean...

hahaha

A 'JOINT' could be referred to as SMOKING of a different kind.

That 'shrimp on the barbie' thing that was promoted to your Fellow Americans as an Aussie thing to do and was misleading in some way because the majority of average working class Aussies couldn't afford the cost of Shrimps (Prawns) on the barbie and the usual fare was normally sausages of the beef,pork or chicken kind, lamb loin chops, or lamb forquarter chops, pork chops, bacon slices (after a good payday)

The seafood thing with prawns, fish, calamari(squid)usually and only becomes part of the menu around Xmas time when it's very much summer here and nobody wants to look like a tight-a$$ at this time of the year so generally all budgets get thrown out of the window and we all get to choke on our shrimp when the credit card bill comes in January.

Yes Australia has an abundance of seafood but it is very expensive for the average Joe.
It's a Shame really as seafood is great in summer.

Meat is also quite dear here and when i see some of the prices you guys pay for meat in the USA, i get pretty darn jealous let me tell ya.

We buy in Kilograms here and 1 kg is roughly 2.2 Lb and we pay between $15-21 per kilo for meat here depending on quality, type and where it's sold.
For shrimp, your looking at up to $29 a kilo but average about $23 per kilo.

Cheers

Davo

Seems they transfer their data in Texas the same way they cook their briskets...SLOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW, I could barely watch the video without it breaking up.

I heard that from my brother as well, who funny enough lives in Texas. I didn't have any problem, it streamed very fast, even gave me the choice of watching it in high def.

Davo,

Great post ! Thanks for "enlightening" us Yanks with your input as an Aussie ! I suspect your "tight-a$$" comment applies to more than a few here, too
icon_smile.gif

We're blessed to have access to plenty of BBQ meats, at a reasonable price....so we post emails and pix, without many of us really understanding how lucky we are to have all this available to us !

Just let us know if you ever scrape together enough $$$ to make it to the States ! We'll take care of you !

Dean...

Tom,

Funny that I can watch it over a VPN connection through the company I work at, and it plays fine.

Same connection not going through the VPN is almost not watchable.

Yeah, that goes right over my head.
icon_smile.gif
Hell I was excited to see I didn't screw up the link thing.

Occasionally I get slow speeds over my wireless network, but this one streamed fine. Hope you liked it, the content was very interesting to me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Konrad Haskins:
Bobby Mueller just died. He is one of the two principal pitmasters in the video and a true Texas legend. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah, I saw the guy died on my birthday...
icon_eek.gif

Not to worry, my daughter was born on the same day that Jimi Hendrix died, although my wife hates that fact I know that, he was special and so is she!
icon_smile.gif

I thought I felt his pit mojo transition into me on b-day...
icon_rolleyes.gif

He was obviously doing high heat briskets, in the video when they asked how long it took to cook the brisket he said something like "it takes from 4-6 hours at the temp we cook at".

Tom, don't worry if it's over your head, it's a routing issue, between ISPs...not much to worry about if it's working for you!
icon_smile.gif

That was very unfortunate about Mr Mueller. I googled his name and read a few blurbs about his life and achievements.

Back