Status
Not open for further replies.
It's your thread
icon_cool.gif
Go ahead

OK, enough arm twisting...here it is:

“TRIED AND TRUE CHAMPIONSHIP RECIPES”
www.texasbbqrub.com

Let's get started with the good old basics of any great BBQ. These are my own recipes that I use to feed thousands of people every year. These are great for any occasion or get together. Easy yet delicious.

MY OWN BBQ SAUCE

I developed this recipe to complete the cooking of my BBQ Brisket and to serve for those who believe you just can't eat BBQ without sauce on it. The fact is, people should first try any meat dish without any BBQ sauce on it because they may be covering up the best meat they have ever eaten. Restaurants use the sauce for the purpose of covering up their meat because they have either boiled the meat first (it leaves it a gray color) or it just is not as good as the BBQ you are going to cook following these recipes..

TIP: If someone asked for sauce, serve it on the side. Tell them to try the meat without the sauce first and explain to them they probable have never had any meat with this great of flavor and they shouldn't automatically cover it up with sauce.

This is a great tasting sauce and you will use this when you cook the brisket recipe below.

What you need.

1-24 oz. Bottle of ketchup
1-18 oz bottle of BBQ sauce (I use Wal-Mart brand in Honey style)
1-small can of Mexican style Rotel (or use 1 cup of any salsa)
1-medium onion chopped
2-tablespoons of minced garlic
2-cups of brown sugar
½ cup of TEXAS BBQ RUB (you can add more if you want more spice)
½ cup of pineapple juice (you can use orange)(I also use crushed pinapple)
2 tbls of worcestershire sauce
2 tbls of mustard (yellow prepared)

approx. 2 bottles of water from the empty ketchup bottle
1 can water from empty Rotel can
1 bottle of water from the empty BBQ sauce bottle

This recipe makes about 4 quarts of BBQ sauce. You will use some of it to finish off the brisket and the other to serve to folks if they want it. It keeps for days in the frig if you don't use all of it.

Mix ketchup, BBQ sauce, Rotel, and garlic in a large pot. Start cooking on the stove at medium temp. Add the water (you will get out all of the extra sauce from the bottles this way). Stir in garlic and brown sugar. Stir in the rub. Add the chopped onion, worcestershire sauce, and mustard. Bring sauce to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Add pineapple juice. Let simmer for at least 1 hour (longer is better). I usually simmer mine for about 2 hours.

Serve as a side dish for those who ask for it. Use it in the brisket recipe below where it calls for the sauce.

TEXAS STYLE BBQ BEEF BRISKET

This is the mainstay for most BBQ's down here in Texas. I was told one time by a couple of Kansas City BBQ Judges that my brisket would rank among the top 3 briskets they had ever tasted or judged. Both of them had been judges at the Kansas City BBQ for 15 years and I ran into them while I was cooking in Jacksonville, Fla. at a cook-off. They also said that only people from Texas could cook a good brisket; but, I'm here to tell you that you can do this and it will be great. This is the same way I cook all of my brisket and have done so for years.

What you will need.

1- whole untrimmed brisket (they can be from 7 to 14 pounds) Get a small one if you
don't have a long time to cook.

TIP: When selecting a brisket to cook pick up the brisket and see if you can fold the
two ends together (or close to one another). I have found these to be the best
to cook.

¼ cup of worcestershire sauce
1 ½ to 2 cups of TEXAS BBQ RUB

First, never trim the brisket. You want the fat on the meat while it is smoking. The brisket will have 1 side that is covered with fat and the other side with just a little fat. Start with the fat side and shake worcestershire sauce on it and rub it with your hands all over the fat side of the brisket (including the sides and ends). Next take a handful of TEXAS BBQ RUB and rub it over the fat side of the brisket right on top of the worcestershire sauce. Apply the rub fairly thick. Remember this piece of meat is big and is going to be cooking for quite a while. Flip the brisket over and repeat the worcestershire sauce and rub routine on the other side of the brisket. Since this is the side that will cook up on the pit apply about 1 ½ handfuls of rub on this side. You will notice that the rub has started to turn into a paste. This is what you want to see. If it is not then add a little more worcestershire. That is it, it is ready to cook.

Use the indirect method of cooking, use a great tasting wood flavor (I use mesquite) and place the brisket, fat side down on the rack in the cooker. Point the thick side of the brisket toward the heat source. Cook as follows:

180 degrees - Cook for a total of 16 to 18 hours
200 degrees - Cook for a total of 12 to 16 hours
225 degrees - Cook for a total of 8 to 12 hours

The brisket will be done when a food thermometer reads 185 to 190 degrees and is usually done before the above cooking times but you need to cook it long and slow. The longer it cooks the more tender it gets.

TIP: Never cook at above 225 degrees as this will boil the fat out of the center of the meat.

OK now for the SECRET that will make your brisket as tender as any meat you have ever eaten. About 2/3 of the way through the cooking of the brisket you are going to wrap the brisket in aluminum foil. Double wrap in foil. Tear off about 2 pieces of heavy duty foil approx. 24 inches to 30 inches long. Take the brisket off of the cooker (don't poke it with a fork or anything else as you let out great juices) I use heavy rubber gloves to handle all of my meat with. The brisket is going to be real hot so be careful. Place the brisket on the first sheet of foil. Fold up the edges of the foil to keep the sauce we are getting ready to add from getting everywhere. Take about 1 - 1 ½ cups of the bbq you made earlier and pour over the brisket (you should still be fat side down). Now wrap it in the first piece of foil, then wrap another piece around that. Place it back on the pit, fat side down again. Finish cooking. When you are ready to take off the grill be real careful as you might tear the foil and the sauce and juices of the meat can get on you and they will be hot. Take the brisket in and let it rest (cool down) approx. 45 minutes to 1 hour. I take my knife and scrape off the fat on the top of the brisket and then cut into ¼ inch pieces against the grain. The fat end of the brisket has more fat than the thin end. With a little practice you will learn how to carve off the fat before slicing.

A brisket will lose approx. 30% of its weight during cooking. You can figure approx. ½ pound of meat per person. And the leftovers (I hope you have some) are even better the day after you cook. Make a brisket sandwich with cold brisket or heat it back up by wrapping it in foil and heating it at a low temperature.

THIS IS SOME FANTASTIC PIECE OF MEAT. ENJOY.

PORK SPARERIBS (I get asked for these every time I cook)

".......these are without a doubt the best ribs I have ever eaten. I love ribs and travel quite a bit and always am looking for great BBQ places to try their ribs. I've eaten ribs at maybe 150 to 200 BBQ joints and these are the best I ever ate. How do you do it?"
Bob F.
Galveston, Texas

Well, thanks to people like Bob F., I'm going to tell you how you can cook these same great tasting ribs. The SECRETS are in the wood flavor and the rub.

What you need.

1 - rack of pork spareribs (I usually cook at least a case which is 9 racks) Cook whatever
you can get on your cooker. A rack is usually 13 to 14 bones and weighs approx. 3 to
4 pounds Tip: try to get 3 and unders if you can find them (that is 3 pounds per rack
in butcher talk). I've had great luck buying ribs at Sam's Club. The quality is
excellent and the avg. weight is approx. 3 ½ pounds per rack.

¼ cup of worcestershire sauce
1 to 1 1/2 cups of TEXAS BBQ RUB

Take the ribs out of the frig and let them start to get down to room temperature or close to it, approx. 70 degrees is room temperature. Start your fire and get it to a cooking temperature of 200 degrees to 235 degrees. You can cook ribs a little hotter than other meats if that is all you are cooking. Add your favorite wood to the fire for that smoke flavor. Now get the rack of ribs. You will notice that the ribs are bowed shape. One side has a white membrane covering it and you can see the rib bones through the membrane. The other side is more meaty and you can't see the bones through the meat. Turn the rack so the bone side (the side you can see the bones and membrane) is up. Take worcestershire sauce and rub all over this side of the ribs. Take a hand full of TEXAS BBQ RUB and rub all over the outside of the ribs over the worcestershire sauce. Cover with a good coat of rub but not thick at all. Just enough to cover the ribs. Flip the ribs over and repeat the worcestershire and rub act again. A little more rub on this side because this is the side we want to cook up on the cooker. You should see the rub and worcestershire forming a paste on the outside of the ribs. It is ready for the grill. Place on the grill with the meaty side up. It should be bowed down on the sides. Place the thickest part of the rib rack toward your heat source and of course you will use the indirect method to cook with.

That is it. You don't need to touch them again until they are ready. Approx. cooking times are as follows:

200 degrees – 51/2 hours
235 degrees – 41/2 hours

TIP: The ribs are done when you can take your hands and twist the ribs at the bone (you will see the bone sticking out of one end of the rack) and the meat tears away from the bone with just a slight twist. Take them off the grill and let them rest for approx. 10 minutes. Then stand the ribs on their edge, meaty side facing you, with the exposed bones on top and let your knife follow down the area between the bones. Don't try to push it through, just let the knife follow the shape of the rib.

One rack will feed approx. 3 to 4 people. But BEWARE these are going to go like hotcakes. I always figure 3 people to a rack.

TIP: You can have my BBQ sauce close by, but you will not need it. These ribs should be moist, juicy, and full of flavor. Just enjoy the true taste of the rib.

Another quick story about these ribs. Again we cooked these ribs in Jacksonville, Fla.. Those same two Kansas City BBQ judges (they were there on vacation) not only tried the brisket but also the ribs. They said they had eaten a ton of ribs in their day and these had to be in the top 5 they had ever eaten. They told us to come up to Kansas City and get in the BBQ Cook-off because we could do real well there. Maybe one of these days when I get some time. By the way, we cooked ribs for 4 days in Jacksonville and we cooked over one ton of ribs during those 4 days. Wow, that was fun. We had people line up, over a hundred at times, waiting up to 1 hour to get these ribs. (Remember what I told you about people willing to wait for good BBQ).That was really something to see.

BILL'S EASY CHICKEN

One of the other staples for family gatherings and grilling is the chicken. This easy to prepare chicken has a great taste and color and is a favorite around the old grill.

What you need.

1-Whole chicken (usually cut mine in halves)
or as an alternative you can use chicken breasts
¼ cup of TEXAS BBQ RUB
¼ cup of Italian dressing (any brand will do)

Take your chicken and put it in a glass baking dish. TIP: Squirt the chicken with some Italian dressing. Make sure you cover the whole bird. Next, sprinkle the chicken with TEXAS BBQ RUB. Cover both sides of the chicken lightly with the rub. The chicken is now ready for the cooker.

Place the chicken in your cooker. You need to use the indirect method of cooking and make sure you add smoking wood to the fire. Place the chicken with the outside of the chicken facing up, skin on side up. If you are using chicken breasts place the breasts with the flat side down on the grill. Cook at a low temperature until the chicken is done. Examples of cooking times for whole chickens are as follows: (chicken breasts will cook faster)

180 degrees - about 3 to 3 ½ hours
200 degrees - about 2 ½ to 3 hours
225 degrees - about 2 hours

That is it. These chickens turn out to be moist and have a great taste.

JEREMY'S QUICK AND EASY CHILI

OK this is a recipe for a great tasting chili. It was given to me by Jeremy who used my BBQ rub to not only cook ribs; but, decided to fix chili with it. I've since prepared this on numerous occasions and it is fantastic and so easy. It can be ready in about 25 minutes.
Jeremy had tried a bunch of the quick fix'in products from the store and had never had much luck with his chili using the store bought fix'ins. He and his roommate both raved over the chili and his roommate (who is a big chili eater) said this was the best chili he had ever eaten. THANKS JEREMY!

What you need.

1 lb of ground beef
1 lb of hot sausage (breakfast sausage)
2 - 8 oz cans of tomato sauce
8 oz of water
1 can of pinto beans (regular size)
1 can of kidney beans (regular size)
1/3 cup of TEXAS BBQ RUB

alt: I personally added a little chili powder (about ¼ cup) and I love the taste of masa so I
mixed about 1 tsp. of masa flour in 4 oz of warm water and added it the last 10
minutes of cooking to give it that flavor

Brown the ground beef and sausage in a pot. Drain off excess fat. Add the tomato sauce, water, TEXAS BBQ RUB, and chili powder (if used) and mix together with the meat. Add the beans (if you are not big on the beans you can either add only 1 can of your favorite or leave them out). Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to a simmer. If you want the taste of masa add the masa mix now. Let simmer about 10 minutes. Makes about 4 servings.

You know this recipe was so good when I tried it, I gave it to one of my friends who was entering into a chili cook-off at her office. She made the chili (2 batches) and she only added kidney beans. She won first place and the voting was unanimous for her chili. So try this on one of those great chili days. You'll be glad you did.

TEXAS BBQ RUB is just about great on anything it touches. It is wonderful on all kind of dishes and so easy and practical to use. It is always there for you in the pantry and is ready when you are. So, if you haven't already done so, go to www.texasbbqrub.com to order some today. You can't get it at the store. It is only available from TEXASBBQRUB.com.

PS - By the way, if you have forgotten to sign up for our FREE monthly newsletter "BBQ Made Simple" do that now by clicking www.texasbbqrub.com . It is yours for absolutely NOTHING, NADA. It will be e-mailed to you every month and will include more great recipes, cooking tips, and cooking secrets. Don't miss out. And we will never, ever give out your e-mail address to anyone.

PPS – We have a great message board forum up on our site now and we invite each of you to come on in and join the fun. Post recipes, ask questions, get in on the fun. Go to www.texasbbqrub.com/phpBB2/ and join in the the forum. It is for you to enjoy.

PPPS - If you want to e-mail these recipes to anyone else please feel free to do so. Everyone likes great recipes.

Edit: For Mords...

To: xxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.net
Subject: Texas BBQ Rub is safe for the Kosher Code
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 15:31:23 +0000

Hi Bryan:
Well, I know I sent an email to one person from the forum that asked this
same kinda of questions and perhaps he just did not get it. If you would
like to post the answer on the WSM that is fine. Texas BBQ Rub is only made
with pure spices and sugars. There are no fillers or no animal fat at all in
our spices. They are safe for the Kosher code.

Hey the discount is going great and we appreciate the opportunity to serve
your great people on the WSM forum. I get so many nice compliments from the
folks there it is truly nice of all of them to leave those messages. We love
to hear from people and the people on the forum are top notch.

Bill Cannon
Texas BBQ Rub

Take care, all,

would have ordered 6 or 8 lbs of each but no conf. that Canadian orders are accepted ... so no order from me

I finally placed my order last night...Thanks Bryan.

p.s. I received an email with an order total this morning...It did not reflect a discount...will this be applied later?

WOW is all I can say about the recipies from Bill posted above! What a wealth of info - truly appreciated.

Waiting for my order placed late last week, hopefully it'll be here in time for a weekend cook of those spareribs! Sounds delicious!

Scott

Sent Bill an email on how many bought his rubs with the WSM forum code. I could count the posts but you don't know how many guests used it also. Bill told me on monday that he's been filling alot of orders for them forum people. I hope he has a tally for us. Bryan

Hey all,

Check out these numbers!

To: xxxxxxxxxxx@comcast.net
Subject: WSM Orders from Texas BBQ Rub
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 23:11:28 +0000

Hi Bryan:

All I can say is WOW, you guys and gals blew right thru my expectations. I
am busy getting all of the orders ready as I have been trying to get caught
up on these. I am shipping for the WSM orders tomorrow and sending them
Priority Mail so they should reach everyone by Saturday. Sorry for the delay
in shipping but I was really not expecting this kind of response especially
on the brisket blend.

OK for your members information we had over 50 people order rub. Over 150
pounds of rub was ordered by the WSM folks and they saved over 150 bucks in
costs. That is great. Our thanks to all of those that took advantage of this
offer and we will have to do it again in a few months.

From all of us here at Texas BBQ Rub we thank each one of you guys and gals.
This was fun and the $1 bills are being stuffed into boxes now and will be
shipped in the morn. (8/12)

Thanks Bryan for your help and special thanks to Tom Ferguson who apparently
started it all.

Bill Cannon
www.TexasBBQRub.com

Boy, that sounds great...I can't wait to try the product....I ordered only a bag of each....But I am impressed Bill will consider doing it again! Great Guy!

Thanks again Bryan......

Saturday...just in time to rub that 8.5lb brisket I picked up at Sam's Club today, stick it on the WSM really early Sunday morning and have it in time for the final round of the PGA tournament. I love when a plan comes together.

Bruce, you're talkin' like 3am in the morning right? 8.5 pounds looks like 18 or so hours to me! Good luck and send me the leftovers(if any)!!

Might even do an all nighter, depends how I feel. Great weather here if you like October in August. Might be a good night to sit outside for awhile with an iced glass of Jack and ponder how the hell we all ended up on the same planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back