Test run an epic fail :(

michele p

TVWBB Pro
8lb bone in breast in smoker , 2 lit chimneys, I figured about 1 1/2 hrs to be done based on http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/turkey5.html
One hour in, skin barely colored. Temp at 325 so I added more fuel, got temp up to 375, kept checking internal, not at 165...
Let it go and wham, 2 hr mark and not only did the manufacture thermometer pop ( how embarrassing)
Internal temp in the breast was well over 170. Skin texture less than impressive, but at least had nice color.
Thank goodness this was a test run, I plan to do 2, 8lb breasts on the big day, but need to get a more consistent game plan. I suppose I need another test run, as this one was all over the place. :(
Sorry no pics, it has been a million years since I posted here and have to refigure out how to do it again.
Thanks for letting me vent. Thanksgiving is a lot of pressure!

what do you plan to do different?

Pics are easy..... you have to post them online first (facebook / flikr / photobucket) & then link them here.

How's your thermos?> whatcha using? I would check/calibrate each one before the big day.
After an hour with two fully lit chimneys I would be well over 325 on my 18.5" WSM and the color would definitely start lookin good.
Whatch using for fuel, and what sized WSM are you using?

Tim

and not only did the manufacture thermometer pop ( how embarrassing)
Internal temp in the breast was well over 170.
Are you talking about the popup therm that came in the turkey? If so, the first thing you should do is toss it. Those things are set to go off too high

It almost sounds like the turkey you cooked had been injected from the plant. Hope to get a test run in this weekend

I am using an 18" WSM, I would have thought it would have been easy to keep it at 350. One of my bottom vents is rusted in a 3/4 open position, so I am not able to use that vent at 100%. I think that is the issue, I am going to do another on tomorrow and use a little more fuel. I will take pics of the process
Thanks for all the input!

Try spraying a little pb blaster onto the bottom vent and then tapping it few times to free it up. You may have to let the blaster soak for a few minutes

Try spraying a little pb blaster onto the bottom vent and then tapping it few times to free it up. You may have to let the blaster soak for a few minutes

I'd definitely try to free that up (take your time!), another thing you can do to raise the temp is to not fully seat the lid....leave it just a touch off-set.

We want pics.... of your next bird and the CCB :)

Back