Tenderloin

Hi gang,
I have a couple of tender loins w/out the bones. If I want low & slow in the WSM with the water pan full of H2O. What internal temperture an I looking for?
I have the same question for BBacks. I want the meat to fall off the bone!!!
I will be using the Minion Method.
Thanks

Frank- pork tenderloins (12 -16 ozs) are more suited for griling.
Grill over med- hi heat 3 min per side (12 min total) then over indirect for about 5 -10 min til temp is 140 -145 deg

BB smoke at 250 for 1-1/2 to 2 hrs foil for an hour then finished unfoiled for another hour.

The foil will help make them tender.

Tom

Tony,
I'm smoking two whole tender loins not slices. I'm looking for internal tempertures so I know when to take them out of the WSM. I don't want to cook them any other way.
Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm smoking two whole tender loins not slices. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Frank, I'm guesing you mean Whole Pork loin then. A whole pork tender loin is small like Tom posted 12-14 ozs. A whole pork loin like you would make Canadian bacon out of is large like an eye of round. I pull them at 142º

I agree with Tom.

Those small pork loins I just throw into the OTS for 20 mins or so over direct medium heat.

Bryan,
These tenderlions I have weigh 2 to 3 lbs each. They are 7 or 8 inches long and about 4 inches thick. My best guess. I may barbeque them with a couple 15 inch racks of babybacks. Do I still pull them at 142 degrees F.?
Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frank Mastrogiovanni:
Bryan,
These tenderlions I have weigh 2 to 3 lbs each. They are 7 or 8 inches long and about 4 inches thick. My best guess. I may barbeque them with a couple 15 inch racks of babybacks. Do I still pull them at 142 degrees F.?
Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Frank, I was just wanted to make sure you had tenderloins and not a loin. I've seen alot of people call a loin a tender loin over the years.
icon_wink.gif
Yeah 140-142 is fine

Frank,

It sounds like you do have pork loins and not tenderloins.

Like Bryan said, many people interchange the names.

Pork loins are aprrox 4-5" in dia and tenderloins are 2 to 2-1/2" in dia.

sorry for the confusion.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It sounds like you do have pork loins and not tenderloins.
Pork loins are aprrox 4-5" in dia and tenderloins are 2 to 2-1/2" in dia. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tom, I'm sure he has Tender Loins. At BJ's their TL's run small right around a lb.. I went to another store yesterday and looked at their TL's, they were in the 2-3 lb. range. Whole loins run 7+ lbs. usually.

Are these loins still in the cryovac? Tenderloins usually come two in a package and looks can be deceiving.

Pork tenderloins are typically around 1 lb, give or take a few ounces. Something 2-3 lbs would be rare as commercial pigs are not grown that large, pretty much as a rule. Usually 2-3 lb tenderloin packages are two in a package.

I'm thinking he may have a center cut pork loin roast and not the whole pc.

Dan may have it though.

Frank- How are they packaged? You may have 2 tenderloins if they are in cryovac.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Usually 2-3 lb tenderloin packages are two in a package. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
K, I can assure you these were singles. I saw them at S Clyde Weaver's in East Petersburg when I went there on Thurs to get more of my favorite fresh grated horesradish. They have a specialty meat cooler with really expensive beef and pork, natural, free from... the NY strips run $19.99lb. and those TL's were singles and large. There were some in the 1-1.5lb also along with a few 2-3 lbers.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frank
Once I learn how to load photos from my cheap Kodak camera onto window Vista I'll show photos of what I'm talking about. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Frank, I'd be willing to bet Vista is the problem, not your camera. I believe you, that you have TL's. If you had a whole loin, it would be much larger. The question now is do you have one TL per pack or two? I think that's the debate these days.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">They have a specialty meat cooler with really expensive beef and pork, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not that they don't exist. It is that commercial--that is, mass-produced commercial--pork from pig farms aren't allowed to grow that big. Specialty stuff--pastured pigs, heritage breeds, etc.--are another matter.

I changed the heading on this post from pork loin to tenderloin to avoid any more confusion. Someone threw out my archery bow scale so I have no way to weigh the Tloins. I used a one lb. food scale but the Tloin crushed it, so much for the 12 ounce theroy. These tenderloins are without the bones and were cut fronm the Bback ribs that I purchased. The Bback ribs measure 15 inches each. So the tenderloins were cut in half & are 7 & 8 inches long. and 3 to 4 inched thick. Yes they are BIG. We also took the tenderloin bones too. My wife uses them for making pasta gravy. We were raised in South Philly. So we don't call it sauce. we throw it in with the sausage & meatballs. The bones help make great gravy in a 12 quart pot. So nothing goes to waste!

I like my pork medium rare if cooking to temp I would pull at 137 or 140-145 to keep the family happy. A tender loin like that I would cook at high heat. I would love to have one that big. I deep fry pork tender lions when I fry turkeys.soo tender you can cut it with a fork.

I cooked some baby backs last night on the kettle but I use the wsm also. about 2 hours on the smoker or grill then foil for and hour ( to me this is what get's them tender) then back on to crip up the outside a little.

The wife and I decided to hold off on the tenderloin because my daughter was going out tonight. So I threw a couple of 15 inch bbacks in the WSM and did the minion method. They finished just under 4 hrs with an internal temp of 179. I know the meat thermomiter is useless with ribs, but I was curious. I used the tear test for doneness. My wife whipped up some corn bread, baked beans and broccoli rabe. I mixed ten parts Masterpiece, two parts sourwood honey twice and two TSPs of Emeril's southwest seasoning for a sweet & spicy barbeque sauce. i guess will kick them down with a couple of Buds.

I used one chimminy starter full of new kingfords and the leftover brickettes from my Boston Butt cook two weeks ago. About a half a Chimminy starter full plus a couple pieces of messkeete wood.

Back