Tenderloin on the WSM

Brandon A

TVWBB All-Star
I've been spoiled lately with tenderloins. This is the second one I've done in the last couple months, and I cut the third one into filets. I had great results with the first one on the performer and wanted to do this one one the wsm.

I got it all trimmed, tied and rubbed with Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express. I rubbed it like I would a pork butt, using a lot of seasoning. Instead of messing around with searing on the wsm at the end of the cook I fired up the performer and seared all 4 sides on it, then transfered to the WSM. It cooked at 225 for around 3.5 hours. I used RO lump, 3 chunks of cherry and one hunk of oak. I pulled it off at 145 degrees and let it rest for about 20 min.

I stuck some sliced potatoes, onions, and baby bellas in foil with about a half stick of butter and some Shakein the Tree seasoning (also dizzy pig)to go on the side. Oh and some texas toast.

The tenderloin had a nice crust on it and I really liked the rub, as noted with coffee rubs, it had a slight caramel flavor. It was a great Sunday, almost felt like summer, temps were in the upper 50's and the smoke was rollin. Cant beat that!

Heres the slideshow

Man oh man that looks good. For some reason I've never done one of those.
Done plenty of the regular pork loins but never the tenderloin. Thanks to your pictures it just moved up to the #1 spot of things I gotta try next.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Meneou:
Man oh man that looks good. For some reason I've never done one of those.
Done plenty of the regular pork loins but never the tenderloin. Thanks to your pictures it just moved up to the #1 spot of things I gotta try next. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love it when I can inspire a cook
icon_smile.gif
Make sure you watch Chris's trimming video, they can be a bit tricky to get trimmed. After that its pretty easy, and a nice short cook. On my first attempt I used a simple salt/peper/garlic/onion seasoning, but I liked the heavy coating of rub better. Good luck and make sure to post your results!

Back