Temps too low -- So, no more foil on the door

C. Moore

TVWBB Member
When my WSM first showed up via UPS four years ago, the first thing I did was "insulate" the side door by wrapping it with heavy duty foil. No smoke ever seems to escape through it. The only problem is that I have battled low temperatures with every cook. I could rarely get the lid temp to hold at anything over 210 degrees for a long cook, and it would often slip below 200. It seems that my cooker was so air-tight that the ventilation of the open top vent and the open three bottom vents did not create enough flow to keep a substantial heat supply going. Finally, this past weekend, I simply took the foil off. A small amount of smoke escaped through the unwrapped door, but my temperatures came on up and I actually had to close off some of the bottom vents. Even with a minimum of lit and unlit, I was able to hold steady at 240 degrees for ten hours. I wish I had not waited so long to make this modification.

The WSM is not designed to be - nor does it need to be - airtight. Smoke out the door or at the lid is of no consequence. As long as the gaps at the door are minimized (through simple bending) and there is no out-of-round condition the cooker works well as is.

I would value you opinion on my low 22 temps post. I don't foil my door, but I think you are on a possible solution for me.
Thanks!

Back