Temps in the 150-160 range? Is it possible on my 22" WSM?

Ross H

I recently received a book on smoking sausage. The directions recommend that you smoke them in the 160 Fahrenheit range.

Most of the recipes I seen on this website are over 200 Fahrenheit.

So with that said is it possible to smoke in those lower temperature ranges with a WSM?

Thanks,

Ross

I don't see why not. Might just have to dial down the charcoal amounts and close all but one vent and have a full water pan or ceramic heat sink, but I would think that is achievable with a little effort.

You want to make sure the cooker is nice and tight with few leaks so you can severly limit the amount of air to the coals. (Check for any out of round and reshape the door if necessary.) I'd also get a piece of expanded metal and some hardware to make a smaller diameter chamber to hold the charcoal in instead of using the weber charcoal ring.

Yes, 150º~160º is possible with the WSM.

If using the Mininon Method, just start with fewer lit coals and good vent control.

I'd do a test burn first before actually putting sausage in it.

Would only add, that if you are used to controlling air and leaks on cheap horizontals - you probably already have ideas on how you can improve the seal of the WSM by adding a temporary aluminium foil "gasket" between the lid and the mid/bottom section and tape the door if you want to be absolutely in control of air flow.
icon_biggrin.gif

Not a permanent solution/mod for sure, but one that has worked well for me during single purpose efforts where I need to have absolute temp control that is only coming from the vents.

Rare cases for sure - cold smoking would be one.

"Typical" cooks at 200 up wouldn't require it. IMHO, but below that for cold smoking it can work really well if you have the general fire control skills AFA fuel and burn rate.

I did a low heat run a while ago and my advice is to go with all lit no MM.

Do a test run and start with 8 lit briq,and se what temp you end up with.

I did this on a warm day and 8 lit was the only thing i needed to get up to 160. then just start a few new in the chimney when you need more heat.

or start with 15 to get up to heat then use the tongs and take a few out if its to hot.

The briq i use are rather big in size but just try and you will nail the temp.

Good luck

Back