Temps for spareribs on 18" WSM

Hello.My name is Thomas.
I've been checking out this site for sometime now.
I just found an older 18.5" WSM (P=1993) at a yard sale for $60.00
I thought this was a good price.So I bought it. It has two dents on the lid but other than that it's in good shape.
Very clean inside and out.
The waterpan and the grates look like they've never been used.
I think maybe the former owner used it once or twice and never used it again
Sometimes we get lucky.
P.S. My thing is Ribs for now. But I'm sure that will change.

My question is this is there a sweet spot temp wise for smoking spares.
I have read everything from 225 to(275 from Harry Soo)
Or will I be fine if I just stay in that range.
I thank you for any input I can get.
I plan on smoking some spares for the first time this weekend

I think you're fine anywhere in that range, even a bit above it. It's all a matter of what you feel comfortable with. I like to do my ribs in the 275-300 range. Others like a true low and slow. I've done them both ways, and turned out some pretty good ribs no matter the temperature.

i don't get so anal about cooking temps. i cook just about everything from 275-350. even above that for a short time is not gonna do any damage. meat is done when its done. after a while you will get the hang of it and find yer own sweet spot. its kinda funny but i find that the grill/smoker will tell me what temp it likes that day and i go with it. micro managing the temp will confuse you and the grill/smoker.

Don't get hung up trying to hit (or chase) a target temp. If you're within 25 degrees of where you want to be, that's plenty good. Barbecuing is very forgiving.

Actually using water in the pan WILL help you stay within a closer range of your target.

Congrats on the find. That's a heck of a deal.

Lots of folks like Sean don't use water in the pan and cook faster. If cooking too much over 250* I prefer to foil spares, but my favorite method on the wsm is just how I'm cooking today.

I started with three slabs of spares averaging 5 lb. each (without the breast bone) and trimmed down to St. Louis style. All three slabs are halved and put in my six slot rack on the top grate, and the rib tips are over the water pan on the bottom grate. Water's in the pan and I'm targeting 250*. No reason to cook any slower in my experience, and the biggest tip I can give is to try to keep the ribs out of the outer hot zone (beyond the pan's edge).

I try to give the ribs 5.5 hrs in case the cooker is stubborn getting up to temp, but normally I believe my half slabs are all done in about 5 hrs. Have fun with it, and if you use water, use HOT water, or boil some, better yet. Find you a Brinkman CHARCOAL pan that goes in their popular cheap water smokers if you stick with water, for the larger capacity.

I like to keep it simple. So pretty much everything I smoke on my WSM is with the temp needle straight up (235 or so). That way it is easy to glance at the dial and know it is correct. This is also the temp my WSM likes to smoke at.
Just try a few smokes and you will learn that there isn't a specific formula that always works. Just watch the meat and enjoy it when it is done.

Mike

Originally posted by Dave Russell:

Lots of folks like Sean don't use water in the pan and cook faster. If cooking too much over 250* I prefer to foil spares, but my favorite method on the wsm is just how I'm cooking today.

I started with three slabs of spares averaging 5 lb. each (without the breast bone) and trimmed down to St. Louis style. All three slabs are halved and put in my six slot rack on the top grate, and the rib tips are over the water pan on the bottom grate. Water's in the pan and I'm targeting 250*. No reason to cook any slower in my experience, and the biggest tip I can give is to try to keep the ribs out of the outer hot zone (beyond the pan's edge).

I try to give the ribs 5.5 hrs in case the cooker is stubborn getting up to temp, but normally I believe my half slabs are all done in about 5 hrs. Have fun with it, and if you use water, use HOT water, or boil some, better yet. Find you a Brinkman CHARCOAL pan that goes in their popular cheap water smokers if you stick with water, for the larger capacity.
Dave, Whats this you say three racks of spares St. Louis trim on a 18.5 WSM what ribrack do you use?

I usually shoot for 250. Then if the temp drifts up or down 10 to 15 degrees I don't sweat it. Don't make temp a big deal just get it in the ballpark you mentioned.

Congrats on the score. I'd love to get any WSM for $60.

Brad

As others have noted......Don't get caught up in specific temps! Don't cook under 250ish myself. The lower the cook temp= the longer the done window is...... Also ribs, butt's, briskets, etc.... are done by tender, not temp.

See here also: http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...80069052/m/326100786

Luck to ya
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I cook at 335-375. That, to me, is simple; quicker, and with excellent results.

Lots of possibilities. Experiment and see what you like best.

Originally posted by Thomas Washington:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:

Dave, Whats this you say three racks of spares St. Louis trim on a 18.5 WSM what ribrack do you use? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry didn't see this sooner.

My six slot racks are cheap "Charcoal Companion" rib racks. I think I bought one in a barbecue store out in Texas, and the other in the Home Goods, the sister store of TJ Max. They're coated with black non-stick and pretty cheap if I recall. Not enough room in the slots for meaty back ribs, but enough width for St. louis ribs of the size I like to smoke, and it keeps all six half slabs over the pan. Put the heaviest slab halves in the outer slots and you probably don't need to rearrange the half slabs slot positions, at least if cooking in the 225-250* range.

I used fresh Kbb the other day that's been in the house for a couple of weeks and still had issues getting up to 250*, believe it or not. I say that to say that I wrote down that I need to light the charcoal no later than SIX hours prior to suppertime, and get the ribs on ASAP next time....just in case. I do like the bark better if I can cook closer to 250* than 225* for the majority of the cook, though. Cook too slow and the ribs are done before there's any bark, especially if using water in the pan.

Originally posted by Dave Russell:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Thomas Washington:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:

Dave, Whats this you say three racks of spares St. Louis trim on a 18.5 WSM what ribrack do you use? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry didn't see this sooner.

My six slot racks are cheap "Charcoal Companion" rib racks. I think I bought one in a barbecue store out in Texas, and the other in the Home Goods, the sister store of TJ Max. They're coated with black non-stick and pretty cheap if I recall. Not enough room in the slots for meaty back ribs, but enough width for St. louis ribs of the size I like to smoke, and it keeps all six half slabs over the pan. Put the heaviest slab halves in the outer slots and you probably don't need to rearrange the half slabs slot positions, at least if cooking in the 225-250* range.

I used fresh Kbb the other day that's been in the house for a couple of weeks and still had issues getting up to 250*, believe it or not. I say that to say that I wrote down that I need to light the charcoal no later than SIX hours prior to suppertime, and get the ribs on ASAP next time....just in case. I do like the bark better if I can cook closer to 250* than 225* for the majority of the cook, though. Cook too slow and the ribs are done before there's any bark, especially if using water in the pan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Dave Thank you. I've seen the CC ribrack on Amazon for under $20 might have to get one.

Back