Temporary Pizza Oven - What Type of Brick

I'm planning to make a temporary pizza oven this summer:
Has anyone made or does anyone have a pizza oven? If so, any thoughts on bricks?

I don't but after seeing this now I wanna!:)
Curious to see what the pros say, but clay has been used in cookware for ages. I think clay brick would be fine for this application, just don't use concrete or "face bricks "

Tim

I made a pizza oven about 5 years ago. I used 100 year old clay bricks that I got off CL. But I used fire bricks on the interior base to build the fire on. Here's a picture of it almost done.
downsized_0501111742.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This looks like an interesting project to try. The weight of the oven would seem to be in the 500 LB vicinity
so some consideration would need to be given to what the base that will support the oven will be. Its a good idea
and the portability aspect will get people who might not consider a permanent oven to try it. Thanks for the link James.

Beginning of video says to use clay bricks, actually used clay bricks because it is cheaper than new bricks. Also said not to use fire bricks. The Home Depot by me sells used bricks or at least they used to a few years back. I haven't looked at bricks for a really long time so I don't know if they still have it.

Thanks all.

John - I've been on that site and it's great. Unfortunately, they are biased since they use/sell only fire bricks. There is no issue with clay popping.

Using hardwood, I might get up to 500-700f for 2-3hrs. Nothing will explode. My biggest challenge is where to put it at the cottage?

What a neat idea!

Does anyone think that the interior of the oven seems a little high to get good reflective heat for even browning of the top of the crust and a little color on the toppings? His pizza looked pale on top, but to give him credit, it looks as if he was still near the beginning of the learning curve for baking the pizza. As he said, rotating it is important.

I wonder if this idea could be adapted for a Genesis gas grill; just build it on the grates? Too hot for the grill box?

Last edited:
Hi Phil! I've gotten a little smoke flavor by using foil wood chip packets over a burner. They have to be smoking pretty well when you put the pizza in to cook. It's just difficult to get the proper top heat on the pizza. I've tried "building" a 5- or 6-inch high (interior) pizza oven with fire bricks and pizza stones on my Genesis grill but can't quite get the heat levels to work as I'd like.

Rita

I've done the free standing brick pizza oven from the folks in the video and it works! I have about a dozen or so cooks on it using the clay bricks and no explosions! Stay away from concrete bricks. It is big and bulky and
I'm in the process of procuring a KettlePizza for my 22" wsm. Here are some pics from last night.
IMG_2971.jpg

IMG_2970.jpg

IMG_2969.jpg

Last edited:
How'd you like those pizzas he baked? Hilarious! He made a pretty quick recovery of keeping that in stride.

Besides being the photographer, I think The Missus might be the official prompter with a list of discussion and explanations they wanted to be sure to cover in the video. I've heard her prompt him with a question now and then.

Maybe they should include some shots from inside the back of the pizza oven toward the front, with him peering in at the front of the fire....like Alton Brown's shots from inside his refrigerator or oven. ~80

Rita

Last edited:

Back