Temperature measuring

Darryl - swazies

TVWBB Diamond Member
I am going through a bunch of pages on Amazon and looking at grill temperature thermometers. I do not have a multiple probe system, I have 1 iGrill mini that has never been used. Every single review I read says its terrible especially about the fact that if you get farther than 15 ft away from the probe then it looses connection and you have to re connect and all that. I'm sure it has been mentioned here somewhere before. So I don't even want to use it, heck it is even for sale if anyone is interested. I am fairly interested in a needles style gauge that would just sit on the grill off to the side that I could just let it sit for a whole cook. I see so many options with almost all brands having a 25% or better getting bad reviews. Any particular brands I should be considering or any one brand more reliable? I am noticing these infrared hand held insta temp jobbies that would appear like the ones used for quick covid screening, where it would be pointed at someones head for instant temp readings. Do these work well for the grill, or would they become more of a pain than anything else? I am also looking at a thermometer you would use for meat temps, I currently have a fairly accurate quick reading one from the grocery store, it was fairly inexpensive and I don't love it as much as I used to.....PC brand I think. A nicer one would be nice if there is any suggestions. Accuracy on both is my main interest and I would prefer not to spend a ton on each, maybe $50 Canadian maximum and I would also prefer to buy off Amazon if possible...............it is their return policy, simply if i get one that is out by 20 degrees or whatever it gets replaced instantly. It is my favorite thing about Amazon.

I have a buddy he likes to smoke the good things too and he has a battery powered 4 probe. Its an INKBIRD and he likes it, I found this and it says it can read within + or - 2 degrees F. It recharges rather than taking batteries, and will cost $35 with free shipping, any thoughts on this one?

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07XB11TQS/

Any particular brands I should be considering or any one brand more reliable?

I've been very happy with my ThermoPro TP20. It's well known and well reviewed.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01GE77QT0/

Fantastic to be able to monitor both the meat temp and BBQ temp from inside the house while I'm doing meal prep and the meat is cooking.

I like how I can set alerts for if BBQ temp rises or falls above the high temp or below the low temp levels I set.
Important if doing a long slow cook and the snake fails part way through the cook and the temp drops.

I wanted a dedicated unit instead of relying on my phone using Bluetooth, fussing with connecting etc.

I also have a handheld IR gun as well. It's ok for taking a reading over the grill, but it's not really comparable to a meter to read the internal meat temp probe or the BBQ space temp while the lid is on.

A good instant read digital internal meat thermometer probe is important tool to have to check the internal temp of pork or poultry is cooked for food safety. Or to get that perfect medium rare beef.

Inkbird used to make a comparable 2 probe remote unit to my ThermoPro TP-20 but I don't see the Inkbird IRF-2SA listed on Amazon.ca anymore.
You might also want to check out their IBT-2x is a lower cost 2 probe unit that transmits to a bluetooth phone app.

Last edited:
yeah the first one that popped up when searching for that on Amazon was the thermo pro TP20. I put it in my cart as it seemed like a good deal. I would spend the same money on buying 2 different pieces anyways. My concern is cooking meat leaving the probe inserted. I just haven't done that before, seems like a hole for the juices to leak out. How do you feel about it? How long have you had it and is there any bad things that come along with it like terribly low battery life? So far its my first choice, do you wish you bought something else instead? I am also concerned that it may be made cheap??? I do like to spend a ew more bucks on something I know will last and be reliable. thanks

I've been very happy with my ThermoPro TP20. It's well known and well reviewed.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01GE77QT0/

Fantastic to be able to monitor both the meat temp and BBQ temp from inside the house while I'm doing meal prep and the meat is cooking.

I like how I can set alerts for if BBQ temp rises or falls above the high temp or below the low temp levels I set.
Important if doing a long slow cook and the snake fails part way through the cook and the temp drops.

I wanted a dedicated unit instead of relying on my phone using Bluetooth, fussing with connecting etc.

I also have a handheld IR gun as well. It's ok for taking a reading over the grill, but it's not really comparable to a meter to read the internal meat temp probe or the BBQ space temp while the lid is on.

A good instant read digital internal meat thermometer probe is important tool to have to check the internal temp of pork or poultry is cooked for food safety. Or to get that perfect medium rare beef.

Inkbird used to make a comparable 2 probe remote unit to my ThermoPro TP-20 but I don't see the Inkbird IRF-2SA listed on Amazon.ca anymore.
You might also want to check out their IBT-2x is a lower cost 2 probe unit that transmits to a bluetooth phone app.

Are you sure the ThermoPro TP-20 will give you an alarm sound when your ambient temp goes too low or high?
I can only see that kind of information on the ThermoPro TP08S which seems to be about the same price......

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B014DAVHSQ/

The $65 price right now for the TP20 is pretty good and well worth the $ in my opinion. You could easily spend twice that for some of the competing units out there for sale.

I generally leave the probe inserted through the cook. Sometimes during a cook, I've had to move it to another piece of meat or a thicker part of the roast, but I'd say it won't dry out the meat or any issue like that. (Just don't grab it with your bare hands after it comes out of the BBQ at 400f!)

I've had it for about a year and had no problems with it at all. I've not had to replace the batteries yet. I've used it for both grilling and BBQ for all kinds of meats as well as for baking bread in the kitchen oven as it's far more accurate. We always knew our kitchen oven digital temp readout was inaccurate, but turned out it was much more than we'd thought. I've also used it to monitor the temp of my cook in a cast iron dutch oven over charcoal.

For about the same price is the TP-25, their new 4 probe unit that uses the phone. I suppose one advantage with the phone app bluetooth probes is seeing the fancy time and temp graphs of your cook. Also, I think it's USB rechargeable which is cool.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07Z7HDNC4/

Last edited:
I second Dave about the TP20. I bought it as my starter piece and love it.

However it DOES NOT give a low temp alarm. It does give a high temp alarm. In other words you can set it to go off if the temp “exceeds” a certain level.

Only 2 issues I have with it...

1) I have burnt myself a couple times because like an idiot I have grabbed the metal probe with my bare hands to pull it out of the meat. Not sure why I would do this except plainly for not thinking and being excited.

2) It loses connection at about 200 feet away or so. Or sometimes at 150+ feet if having to transmit thru walls, etc... so depends on your setup and where you will be stationed during your longer grills.

Probes like this are more designed for larger cuts of meat and low and slow cooks. They are very accurate and a godsend with my WSM18. I also have used it now for chicken and turkey in the kitchen.

I wish it had more than 2 probes and wish I could connect via WiFi to my iPhone so I don’t have to carry the receiver around. I am planning to get a Thermoworks Signals or Smoke X4 or Fireboard 2 one day when I am willing to spend $300 CDN.

However, maybe even more important than the probe thermometers is a Thermapen! Use this so often and have had one for years even before being into bbq more often. Use it for everything in the kitchen. It is instant to check temps. Do not get anything except a Thermoworks MK4 Thermapen. $135 CDN. It is the absolute best and is flawless. The industry standard.

I second Dave about the TP20. I bought it as my starter piece and love it.

However it DOES NOT give a low temp alarm. It does give a high temp alarm. In other words you can set it to go off if the temp “exceeds” a certain level.

Only 2 issues I have with it...

1) I have burnt myself a couple times because like an idiot I have grabbed the metal probe with my bare hands to pull it out of the meat. Not sure why I would do this except plainly for not thinking and being excited.

2) It loses connection at about 200 feet away or so. Or sometimes at 150+ feet if having to transmit thru walls, etc... so depends on your setup and where you will be stationed during your longer grills.

Probes like this are more designed for larger cuts of meat and low and slow cooks. They are very accurate and a godsend with my WSM18. I also have used it now for chicken and turkey in the kitchen.

I wish it had more than 2 probes and wish I could connect via WiFi to my iPhone so I don’t have to carry the receiver around. I am planning to get a Thermoworks Signals or Smoke X4 or Fireboard 2 one day when I am willing to spend $300 CDN.

However, maybe even more important than the probe thermometers is a Thermapen! Use this so often and have had one for years even before being into bbq more often. Use it for everything in the kitchen. It is instant to check temps. Do not get anything except a Thermoworks MK4 Thermapen. $135 CDN. It is the absolute best and is flawless. The industry standard.
Lots of good info there Christopher thanks. I was ready to buy today and it's rare I just buy on a whim, I like to do a lot of research prior to so I don't make any mistakes, so much the MRS. makes fun of me for it. I think it's smart...........I gave a quick to my buddy that has his inkbird 4 probe setup. He said he had a Thermo Pro lasted about a year, once either of the probes get out to lunch they are garbage and you will need to replace these. His he had for under a year and one probe to the next was out 7 degrees. So he bough this ink bird and it runs off wifi I think, I would have to double check. He said it costs about $140 and it has 4 probes and you can re calibrate the probes every so often. Basically get them all in boiling water lets say.......2 may read 100 degrees if it is actually boiling and one may read 96......I guess you simply make the 4 degree adjustment and it reads the same as the rest of them. So if you can avoid damage to them then it should be the last thermometer you need to purchase ever, I would think anyways. Then there is always the Meater wireless probes...oh man........I will check out that Thermoworks MK4 you spoke of, see what that is all about too.

Interesting, maybe take a look at the manual I've posted above and see if your unit can do the low temp alarm feature like the unit I got last year.
Perhaps you have an older version? When did you get your unit?

I seen it on manual page 7 too, that is something that I feel would be extra helpful. I did a 4 hour cook and watched the grill temp drop considerably and I wasn't hoping for that to happen.

Interesting, maybe take a look at the manual I've posted above and see if your unit can do the low temp alarm feature like the unit I got last year.
Perhaps you have an older version? When did you get your unit?

Weird...I got mine this year (a couple of months ago on Amazon). It doesn’t have that feature. I tried to press the TASTE button and it doesn’t do anything. I also had read on Amazon and other reviews that it doesn’t have a low temp alarm.

Make sure your mode is set to Probe 2, and meat is set to BBQ.
Then taste button should let you switch from HI to LO.
Ok so I am obviously an idiot and tried all this on PROBE 1. Didn’t know it was only “Probe 2” that does the LOW alarm and BBQ setting.

I am good. I apologize and stand corrected (and am very happy now) that I can also do a low alarm going forward. Would have been helpful a couple times in previous smokes. Now I can get more sleep next time I smoke!

Thanks Dave!!

And thanks Darryl for the thread that helped me discover this extra little feature!

Anyways I really do like the Thermopro TP20 (even more now). But Thermoworks products are a touch more reliable I hear. I so love the Thermapen. Use it for everything including nailing oil temps at 375 for fried anything. But I am also a tech nerd so will eventually get a Fireboard 2 I think.

I bought the InkBird 6x over a year ago, has high and low alerts, love it,also 2 of the instant read water proof therms,,also the IB SV unit,every thing has worked well

They are not in the price range you’re looking for, but they can be obtained for a bit less on sale and it’s getting close enough to Christmas that you can put them on you list (and buy for yourself :) ). Look at the Thermoworks products. Thermapen and Smoke. If you go to the buy, sell, trade section of this forum, both were recently on sale and Chris has links to both products. I’m sure there will be another sale on them before year end.

Back