Temperature measuring

The price range is mildly irrelevant, I was hoping to get a couple quality pieces at that price. This thermapen is a little pricey though, I don't think I can spring for an instant read thermometer that is over $125. Getting a needle style gauge for the grill top is also not what I want anymore, these items with a low and high ambient temp alarm sounds exactly like what I need. This thermoPro TP20 sounds like it might be what I go with, if I need more down the line I can upgrade later I think. I can always test the probes with an accurate insta read anyways. I appreciate the input from everyone here it made me see the way......I will post 2 links below, i believe this is what I am going to go with but I will still be looking around for a few hours before I purchase, any negative or positive remarks are welcome, i really don't want to make any mistakes here.

this of course, a $4 off coupon will apply
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01GE77QT0/

I like this it's $18 off and rechargeable but I like the first option better because I don't really want to use an app.
It feels like it might be a better unit but I have no idea really.
Its just over $70 with the coupon applied and feels like a good value purchase.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07XYPJR38/

and then this too, I like the fact it has the integrated battery an is supposed to be accurate within 2 degrees F.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07XB11TQS/

Sounds good. The TP20 is excellent so far for me. I checked it in boiling water and mixing in a glass of ice water and temps are right on with both my probes.

Let me know how the inkbird Instapen works. I h ave the Thermoworks and the reason I love it is that it is instant. No waiting several seconds. But I can understand the hesitancy with price. Add to your Xmas list wishes!

I have 2 of the insta reads that are water proof, they work great,got most of my IB therms and SV for about 50% off, they have a presece on several smoking sights and give discount codes

For instant reads I like the Thermopro TP19 because it has the red LED numbers which are easier to read. It is also water proof and can be calibrated. If you don’t care about being waterproof then the TP 18 which is on sale on Amazon.ca now, is cheaper. I got a TP15 for my wife for the kitchen. if you register the ThermoPros they give you an extra year warranty which made mine three years.
For a remote probe I went with the Thermoworks Smoke. It is not about the thermometer but about the probes lasting,
especially if they get wet. The Smoke has the best probes I have seen so far.
That ThermoPro TP 20 looks good though for that price.
Here is the TP19 on the top and TP15 below it.

Attachments

• C988093C-41AC-4B27-BD13-706FEB809B20.jpeg
    C988093C-41AC-4B27-BD13-706FEB809B20.jpeg
    207.1 KB · Views: 1
I picked up this Inkbird IHT-1P this week when it was on sale.
I liked the fast read, folding waterproof design, backlit display and it is USB rechargeable.
It looked well reviewed and good price point.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07XB11TQS/

So far it feels like it's well made and gives a fast read out.
I'll let you guys know once I've had the chance to try it out a little more.

I pulled the trigger on Saturday. Went with the ThermoPro TP-20
I also went for the IHT-1P themometer
Combined for cents under $100
I also went ahead and ordered 1 of the SNS drip n grill pan or whatever it is called.
I was looking at foil pans and the price, and the fact you can also cook on it if needed and it made my mind up.
Looks like using it along with the SNS itself will be perfect for pretty much everything besides vortex cooks
I wish I bought some wood chips now however.
Thanks for the input guys, friendly advice as I just don't want to buy crap....It happened once when I thought a cheaper version of gas bbq grills was a good idea......while I had nice cast grills already.......

The price range is mildly irrelevant, I was hoping to get a couple quality pieces at that price. This thermapen is a little pricey though, I don't think I can spring for an instant read thermometer that is over $125. Getting a needle style gauge for the grill top is also not what I want anymore, these items with a low and high ambient temp alarm sounds exactly like what I need. This thermoPro TP20 sounds like it might be what I go with, if I need more down the line I can upgrade later I think. I can always test the probes with an accurate insta read anyways. I appreciate the input from everyone here it made me see the way......I will post 2 links below, i believe this is what I am going to go with but I will still be looking around for a few hours before I purchase, any negative or positive remarks are welcome, i really don't want to make any mistakes here.

this of course, a $4 off coupon will apply
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01GE77QT0/

I like this it's $18 off and rechargeable but I like the first option better because I don't really want to use an app.
It feels like it might be a better unit but I have no idea really.
Its just over $70 with the coupon applied and feels like a good value purchase.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07XYPJR38/

and then this too, I like the fact it has the integrated battery an is supposed to be accurate within 2 degrees F.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07XB11TQS/
$125? The Thermapen Mk4 is only $99 and the classic is only $79.

Received the ThermoPro last night. I can't wait to use the high low grill temp alarm and it says how to do it in the instructions. I haven't had more than 5 minutes to play with it yet, but it seems easy to navigate so far. Going to test it out tonight. First run it in boiling water to see if calibration is on or not, and then try and get a hang of how it works. I want to be ready for my pork butt smoke tomorrow. I will be posting a thread about it as my first real slow n low cook, I feel ready, its going to be my first real test on maintaining grill temp. Also that ink bird insta thermometer I posted above. $35, this thing is only $35. I cannot believe how awesome it is for the price. $35 Canadian folks, it must be like $20 USA dollars. I had boiling water going full boil, it reads down the the first point....like 58.5 degrees F. It read exactly 100 C and 212 F in the boiling water. It came fully charged in the box, it charged for 5 minutes and was full and it came fully calibrated. It has the ability to calibrate up and down 5 degrees F too......the background lights up red so it's very easy to read too. Also the integrated battery, so convenient. I have a thermometer but compared to this its garbage....I am throwing it in the garbage today. I will let you guys know how the ThermoPro works out too. P.S. where do I start a thread about my first pork low n slow? under bbq'ing or recipes?

Last edited:
Well I'm going to pair it up and get all my temps set tonight, use the h low grill temp setup and I have 2 1" or bigger steaks I'm going to indirect again, this time slower at about 240 hopefully and cook to about 115 or so......Then of course get that fire blazing and get some sear on it. Looking for something in that 135 range, red, tasty and hopefully well chard the outside. Going to treat the old man to a steak like he has never had before. He's funny, he likes to "taste the meat" so less spice for him, just going to use a brisket rub on his, mostly salt and a bit of the other good stuff.
Also did you know where I should make that thread Christopher? I just want to try to keep things in order here if I can.

Are you using the WSM? Then you have 3 choices...BARBECUING, WSM or PHOTO GALLERY. Most do cooks with pics in the photo gallery, however if you have questions or discuss barbecuing skills, then there, or if you are discussing things directly related to the WSM, then there I would imagine.

I am not a veteran on this forum, but that is my technique. Maybe Chris Allingham or a deep forum veteran will chime in and direct you better?

I was just going to post my Saturday intentions this evening, then post what I am doing as I go. I'm home alone and can't get too heavy in to the " Millers " and need to keep a good focus on what I am doing and post pics too. Maybe its a waste of time, it's only a pork shoulder....I know everyone has made at least one before......so it's not rocket science but it's my first go at a low n slow, I'm kind of excited and I just want to be able to maintain a steady temp for a few hours at a time. I know it will look good and taste good in the end. How is that bbq cool down going for you now? Things settle down?

Ahhhh yes the cool down. Did a vortex cook of some chicken yesterday and after shutting things down temps were at 250 after 1 hour and under 100 after 2 hours. So...it is a bit better (obviously gunking up a bit) but still need to give it a slight squeeze to better round it OR replace with the replacement bowl Weber sent.

Back