Temperature Drop

AMumma

TVWBB Member
Was a steady 265 (minion method) for close to 5 hours as now I'm down to 195 after refilling water pan. Normal? Or should I try to raise the heat? All vents are open.

How low are you on charcoal? Have you tried stirring the coals a bit? If all vents are open, I am assuming that you are using a lot of fuel. How much lit did you start with and how much unlit?

Charcoal seems to be mostly ashes. Added ten unlit about 45 minutes ago and stabilized at around 205.

Started with a full load of unlit with twenty lit on top.

Was a steady 265 (minion method) for close to 5 hours as now I'm down to 195 after refilling water pan. Normal? Or should I try to raise the heat? All vents are open.

A few things:
1. In your other thread you stated you added "cold" water. If you add, it should be warm to hot, otherwise you use your energy warming the water.
2. When I use to use water, I never had to refill, even on an overnight cook.
3. Are you sure you started with a full ring? I use 2/3 and I've been going for 4 1/2 hrs. at 235 and still have plenty of fuel.

Every time you lift lid you lose heat. Give smoker 15-20 minutes to recover. If 265 before, you'll get it again.

Back