Tempature question

Mike W

So tonight I tried to do a couple of chicken breasts on my WSM 18". I wanted to get the temp up to 275 but could not get it to go higher then 245-250 on the dome themo. I foiled the pan but did not put in any water. I also used about half a chimney of lit Kingsford charcoal. All vents were all the way open. Any suggestions on what I can do to get the temp higher.

Thanks.

Do a full chimney of coals next time....

Or get a used hair dryer and hit the coal directly until you get more red hot coals and it goes up in temp. Like I said use a used hair dryer. I used my wifes and put it back in her bathroom the next day she found out what I did becasue she was smelling like smoke..

Some lessons are harder than others. Some of the hair dryers that my adult daughters had when they lived at home were much more than that. Of course, they got to earn the money for that type of thing themselves.

1- try to use more lid charcoal.
2- try Kingsfor Competition charcoal (burns hotter)
3- get more oxygen in (blower fan/ATC )
4- make sure your lid termometer is showing correct temp. (factory ones suck).

Hope this helps.

Peter

Thanks for the suggestions. Is there a special fan that people use and how do you check to see if the thermometer is working correctly?

What was the wind doing? That can have a huge effect on temps.
I seem to have better luck making sure my dome vent is on the downwind side, and I'll often close the lower downwind vent.

JMO try a different thermo like a cheap turkey fryer one clipped into the top vent.
You can always crack the lid by placing a metal spatula under it or turn the door over and prop it open with a wedge to get HH...
If you need some pics I'll see if I can find some...

Edit:This is how us natural users get HH:)
Metal spatula.
IMAG0416.jpg

A simple wedge.
IMAG0655.jpg

Tim

Last edited:
Not a very windy day at all. It was probably about 70 degrees that day too. I always seem to have a hard time getting the temp up. Im going to try and see if it is the dome themom. that is off and check it with another one. Thanks again for all the suggestions everybody.

Back