Temp was perfect 16 hour cook

Don D.

TVWBB Fan
I cooked 2 Navel plates Thursday night. Started at 7pm and finished Friday at 11am. EX6 here the temp perfectly. I had bought a Thermoworks signals a few weeks ago and used it for the first time with this cook I did open the smoker a few times during the night to check on things. Plates came out perfect and average temp in the pit was 223.5. You can't get better than that. I forgot to snap another screenshot pic when the cook was done, but it was still at an average of 224. Awesome machine

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220916-074508.jpg
    Screenshot_20220916-074508.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20220916-085636.jpg
    Screenshot_20220916-085636.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG-20220916-WA0009.jpeg
    IMG-20220916-WA0009.jpeg
    206.8 KB · Views: 20
Beef plate (also known as the short plate) is a forequarter cut from the belly of the cow, just below the rib cut. It is typically a cheap, tough, and fatty meat. In U.K. butchery, this cut is considered part of the brisket.It is used for short ribs and two kinds of steak - skirt and hanger. It may also be cured, smoked, and thinly sliced to make beef bacon.
The beef navel is the ventral part of the plate, and it is commonly used to make pastrami.

More on the naval plates? How do they eat, like pulled beef?
No, can't pull them as there are some hard lines of fat randomly through the meat. I slice it like a roast and you cut around the fat white it's on your plate. So juicy and it's worth it.

That is quite amazing temperature control. I got rid of mine as I saw the temps vary as much as 90° one way (verified by 2 other thermometers) from set temp, even though the pit said it was still at the set temperature. I did not like that it was basically lying to me and I lost faith in it.

That is quite amazing temperature control. I got rid of mine as I saw the temps vary as much as 90° one way (verified by 2 other thermometers) from set temp, even though the pit said it was still at the set temperature. I did not like that it was basically lying to me and I lost faith in it.
I agree, amazing temp control.That really was the reason I posted this. I had some fluctuating temps in the past. But you can't argue with Thermoworks.....

Don, that is definitely amazing. My EX6 isn't giving me good temp control since the software/firmware update. What brand of pellets?

Noticed something related to temp control today on mine. I set it to "smoke" and P3 which yesterday was holding rock solid between 175-190. Mostly right on 180. did the same setting today (but sun is out and intense) plus it's hotter out (actually have AC on in house). Holding 208. I guess the sun really does change things

Don, that is definitely amazing. My EX6 isn't giving me good temp control since the software/firmware update. What brand of pellets?
Cabela's cherry. I ordered 6 bags so it was free shipping to my house. Didn't have a chance to go to the store..... I have used them in the past and they never gave me an issue

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220918-191415_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220918-191415_Gallery.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 2
I just started testing Cabela's. My first cook with them was a chicken and my grill ran hot. I made a 50/50 mix of Competition Blend and Cherry but the Hickory in the blend came through pretty strong for my family. I have a bag of Cherry left and will try that after I use up the blend. I really like their home delivery option.

I just started testing Cabela's. My first cook with them was a chicken and my grill ran hot. I made a 50/50 mix of Competition Blend and Cherry but the Hickory in the blend came through pretty strong for my family. I have a bag of Cherry left and will try that after I use up the blend. I really like their home delivery option.
Good to know the Comp blend is a little strong. But would not have thought the Hickory would have come through that strong in the blend. Especially being cut with the Cherry.
Did you cook at grilling temps or start off at lower temp?

Back