Temp. Reversal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Weisse

TVWBB Super Fan
I'ev got 15 lbs of pork butt on and the temp of the meat just dropped 8 degrees in the last hour! They were at about 167 and have now dropped down to 159. Temp at the dome fell a bit, too, and I need to add more charcoal.

My question is, has anyone else seen a rapid drop in meat temp like this, or should I suspect my thermometer?

That happens sometimes-- it's just where the probe is currently placed something is actively going on in the way of fat rendering. If you move the probe around a bit, you'll see different readings. Don't sweat it.

Tony,
Saw the same thing this a.m. after I basted and turned mine. Went from 163 to 156. As Doug stated, I just wiggled the probe a bit, sat down and opened another beer. It's fine.

Well, these butts never did get above 165. I finally pulled after 24 hours of cooking. The first order of business is a re-check on all my thermos!

The meat's drier than I like, but I can't keep my wife and daughter away from the cutting board. I've learned a lesson - don't depend solely on the temperature to judge doneness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back