Temp Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Now that the temp is dropping outside, how do you keep the temp stable or actually raise it?

I smoked some ribs yesterday and had a hard time keeping the temp in the 225 - 250 range. It was 57 degrees outside with a breeze. I had about 12lb of charcoal in the smoker and had all three vents wide open and was hovering around 215. Any advice is most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jr

Sounds like you had a full load of charcoal. I assume you had it all going. Given that and knowing all three vents were at 100% I can only think that your termo is off. I have done many cooks overnight in the winter with the temperature below freezing and have had no problem maintaining 250 at the top of the dome.

I live in Wisconsin. Last week I cooked a one and a half turkey breasts. I could not get the temp to go above 207f at top grate for almost the entire cook. This was with the charcoal chamber pretty well full with all lit coals. An empty foiled water pan and all the vents wide open on the bottom as well. Keep in mind this was with damp weather and a little cool (maybe 50's or 60's) and a lot of wind. I had the smoker just at the edge of the garage by the garage door just to keep out of the rain. Garage door was open of course.
I'm thinking the cool, damp, windy contributed to this. I know my mavericks not off. I've tested it more then once already. And it's always on.

Where I live the wind is always blowing. I have only used my WSM three times but each time if the wind was blowing the temps would never get above 210. I made a wind break with some plywood and didn't have any more probems with my temp. The wind was blowing thought the bottom vents and pulling all of the heat out of the cooker. I had this problem with an ECB before the WSM and the wind always gave me problems. I think Chris has a plan on this site for a windscreen.

Mark

Never tried lump cahrcoal, will need to give that a shot. I will build a windbreak at work today and let you all know how it turns out. I have to do 8 slabs for a company lunch this coming Monday. Wish me luck...LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back