Temp probe placement.?

Steve St

TVWBB Member
Found that when I put my probe on the edge it reads about 20 degrees hotter than closer to the middle. This presents problems when doing brisket on the 18.5 WSM. To close to the meat and I get a low reading but on the edge it registers hot. I use 2 temp probes. One for the Auber temp controller and another for remote monitor Maverick 732. would like them to be relatively close to each other.
Where do ya'll put your probes? Could it be hung under the meat with some kind of shield to keep the drippings off? Suggestions?
Thanks
Steve

I just place my probe into the top vent.. That usually runs about 10° to 15° hotter than grate temps, which you just have to account for on your target temp.

Tim

Steve,

BBQ Guru sells a device called a probe tree designed to hold two probes off the grate. With a brisket, the probes can be close to the center of the grate on the tree pointing toward the center of the unit. They sell for $17.95. I use one every time I cook on the WSM.

I take a short skewer and poke it into the meat sideways and clip the pit probe on there. I read that suggestion on here somewhere and it works great with the digiq sensor.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom L:
I take a short skewer and poke it into the meat sideways and clip the pit probe on there. I read that suggestion on here somewhere and it works great with the digiq sensor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is a great idea

A short bamboo skewer is a good idea too, Tom. Alligator clips work well with most any type of pit probe (Maverick, Guru, Stoker). Push the probe into the open round end of the clip and use the teeth end to attach to the skewer which is inserted into the meat.

Good use of an inexpensive resource.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">probe tree </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks to everyone.
Probe tree looks good but think I'll try the skewer and see how it works. Should do the job.
Knew there would be good suggestions here.
Steve

I made a little wooden block that I drilled a hole through from side to side that is just slightly larger diameter than the probe. Then I put a couple of screw hooks into the top of it and I hang it underneath the top grate.

I'll get a picture or two this weekend and post it next week.

Russ

Back