Temp differences bottom vs top grates

D Brazil

TVWBB Member
I noticed some discussions and generalizations that it is pretty much accepted that the bottom grates on the WSM are higher in temperature than the top grates during a smoke. Does anyone have an idea of how much the two deviate when cooking meat. I generally set my probe up on the top grate and was wondering what I would expect the bottom to be? If my top is 250 degrees, what would my bottom be and so on ?

I did some wings and ABTs this past weekend and hung a second pit temp probe so the end was 1 to 2 inches above the lower grate. By the way, I'm using an 18.5 WSM with a foiled clay saucer instead of a water pan. My stoker pit probe on the top grate was right at 250, and the probe over the lower grate was about 10-15 degrees hotter. I would have guessed that the lower grate would run a little cooler than the top (similar to the 1st graph on the link Timothy posted above), so I'm thinking that maybe the foil on the clay saucer was radiating heat. Might be different with a full water pan. Who knows? That's my experience, for what it's worth.

OK so what I've read is not consistent with the charts on the website (By the way, thanks so much Timothy I had no idea they were out there) It would seem that the top would be hotter (I use water in the pan presently) This is good news for me because I typically smoke between 245 - 255 which would mean my butts on my last smoke were cooking at 230-240. Of course Chad just through a wrench in and now I'm not sure what to think. LOL ! Bottom line is the temp difference is not enough (for me anyway) to worry about, I try not to get hung-up on temps too much unless they really start running above 275. Anybody else care to throw in their 2 cents go ahead.

Since becoming a member here when it comes to smoking I've learned the word "range". I'm not so sure the difference between the top and bottom grills warrants a great deal of concern. I have done butts and brisket top and bottom as well as ribs and for the most part they come out pretty much the same at either location.
My guess is if I gave you a half rack of ribs from the top rack and a half rack from the bottom you would not know the difference. Similarly if I gave you PP from the top or bottom you could not tell.
Just sayin

Back