Temp Control Problem

I got my new 22" WSM and tried to do a turkey this last weekend - taking the unit up to 325 degrees. I did a 3/4 full chimney of KB and put it on the ring of coals. After one hour I was nowhere near 325 - it wouldn't get above 250 ( all vents were open 100%). The outside temp was in the 30's. I added some more lit KB and brought it up to 300 for a little while before the temps started to drop back down to 250. I added some more lit KB but still couldn't get to 325. I finally took off the access door and the temp soared to 400 so I replaced the access door but left it open at the top. The temp dropped again below 300. Over the next couple of hours I chased the temp up and down till the turkey was done. Very frustrating to say the least. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am going to do another turkey this Thursday. Thanks!

Stewart,

I've never smoked a turkey (will Thurs) but have learned a bunch from reading the forums. Sounds like you may not have had enough lit charcoal before you put the bird on the cooker. A whole turkey is a tremendous heat sink and would think it's normal for the temps to drop till the bird warms up.

Also, maybe would help if you let the bird come up to room temp before putting it on. If you were using the stock lid thermometer I've noticed it can be inaccurate, especially when the food starts warming up. I've got a M732 and it consistanly reads higher at grate level than the lid thermometer after the food starts heating up, sometimes as much as 50 degrees.

Am sure others with more experience than I will post to your questions. I wish you much success.

Scotty W

Stewart,

Many factors can come into play, especially if your WSM is somewhat new. New units have more air leaks which becoms sealed in as the unit is used and forms gunk on the inside. This gunk also creates a barrier which helps insulate the interior. Using warm water in the pan can help although I personally use a foiled clay saucer which absorbs energy at first, but redirects heat as it becomes heated and radiates back.
Like you, I was frustrated with the temp swings and having to watch the unit go all over the place. You may realize the temp on your dome with the built in therm is not really all that accurate anyway. A Tel-Tru (or any decent temp probe) dropped in the vent hole is a better way to tell the real temp.
Or do like I did, and invest in an ATC system that does the job w/o guesswork. My BBQ Guru is easily set at the desired temp after I minion start the coals. I can walk away to return to perfectly cooked meats everytime.

Did a turkey last Friday, I did 3 full lit chimneys 2 of lump and 1 of kb. Temp was at 320 but as quick as that 12 lb bird in it dropped to 280. Opened the door and let it get to 320 again but that baby never climbed above 317 and I had a digiQ blowing on it. Bird still cooked in 3 hrs 20 min skin was fine and the bird was juicy. I would say stoke that thing full of lit before you put your bird on.

Sounds like your bullet is in good shape to me!

If wanting to cook your turkey fast, I'd just use a kettle. If you have the time though, I'd just use the smoker the way it was designed. Butterfly the bird if you want to speed the cook up some.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

So the Minion Method is not a good way to do it then! I will try your way tomorrow as I am going to do a 20 pound bird. I think I will buy an extra charcoal chimney to get two lit ones going at the same time.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Putting a cold 20 lb turkey on the unit is bound to drop the temps significantly as pointed out. Almost a catch 22 situation since you are running a dangerous bacteria gamble if you let the turkey come to room temp prior to putting it on the grate. I'd go the safe route and put lots of lit coals in the unit and not as much unlit. With a high heat, semi-short duration cook, it should be fine.

Stewart, this could help Josh's high heat 22.5 cook. I tried his method of packing Kblue in for a long cook but for a shorter high heat, I'd maybe do the same with one layer unlit, tightly packed and two chimneys lit, but as packed as your heat gloves, tongs can handle. Just finished 4th cook in 18.5 WSM on a long cook--they run cooler--than 22.5. And did more stacking of unlit of K blue as Josh did. No reason similar method wouldn't work for high heat shorter cooks, using two chimney's of lit. But as others have suggested, a kettle is just easier for faster cooks. I did 20 lbs. pbutt and around same "tonnage" chuck roasts for T-giving Tuesday, temps were around 350+ after 18 hours: yes, am reheating today; shame on me:)but am cooking second turkey on kettle as we speak. First bird I did, yesterday, used split kettle--which I never do--one side only, usually, which is what I'm doing now--one side only--foiled wings, legs, thick sausage patty as breast plate, will turn bird in a little while. Almost used smoker for both of them but didn't feel like sacrificing more Kblue and Stubbs for high heat on smoker. Also, temps were 30-40s here on Tuesday, rain; yesterday, high winds, 30's. Right now in 30's. But it could be done with a couple 12-14 lb. birds on 22.5 easy: IF using lots of Kblue. I really like Josh's method! Lots of great input and info on this site. Wonderful Thanksgiving all!

Back