Temp control 18.5 vs 22.5

Dan A

TVWBB Member
Hi everyone, I have a buyer for my 18.5 (if i choose to sell it) wsm and the opportunity to get a 22.5. My main reason is just for added cooking space. However, I'm a little nervous because I know my 18.5 will hold a certain temp for hours without budging. I can hold 225, 235, 250 or whatever for 5-6 hours, and most of the time the temp won't fluctuate more than 5 degrees up or down. That's using water in the pan, the bottom vents for adjustments and leaving the top fully open. . And that's my temp on my grill with my digital thermometer. I'm not worried about fuel use, just temp stability. Anyone with a 22.5" wsm, can you hold stable temps for hours like my 18.5?

My 22.5 is rock steady with one vent all the way open, and the others shut. I leave the water pan empty and it purrs at about 260 the whole time. It's about the same with my 18.5. My 14.5 is my crazy child. Haven't figured that one out yet but it's only been used twice, so I'm learning. I say if you want the 22.5, you will find temp management on par with your 18.5.

Sweet, that makes me feel much better. I'm going to go buy it tomorrow. You know, in the beginning I was thinking of getting a thermostat temp controller so I could set it and forget it, but man these wsm's hold temps like nothing I've ever used. I can't believe the hours on end these smokers will sit at the same temp. I mean sometimes it doesn't move a single degree for an hour or more. I'm so glad I chose to try one of these before buying a pellet grill. Of course, I still feel I need a big green egg, green mountain pellet grill and a 26" weber kettle. Why can't I just be content with what I have?

Hi everyone, I have a buyer for my 18.5 (if i choose to sell it) wsm and the opportunity to get a 22.5. My main reason is just for added cooking space. However, I'm a little nervous because I know my 18.5 will hold a certain temp for hours without budging. I can hold 225, 235, 250 or whatever for 5-6 hours, and most of the time the temp won't fluctuate more than 5 degrees up or down. That's using water in the pan, the bottom vents for adjustments and leaving the top fully open. . And that's my temp on my grill with my digital thermometer. I'm not worried about fuel use, just temp stability. Anyone with a 22.5" wsm, can you hold stable temps for hours like my 18.5?

http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipmen...grill-smoker/weber-smokey-mountain-cooker-225

Never had a problem with mine. Even used the charcoal ring from my WSM 14.5 for a 5 hour ribs cook.

My 22.5 is rock steady with one vent all the way open, and the others shut. I leave the water pan empty and it purrs at about 260 the whole time. It's about the same with my 18.5. My 14.5 is my crazy child. Haven't figured that one out yet but it's only been used twice, so I'm learning. I say if you want the 22.5, you will find temp management on par with your 18.5.

do most people have a 14, 18 AND 22? That is a lot of sizes haha. I have an 18 and mini

I have the 22.5 and she holds pretty steady around 275* with the top vent open, two bottoms closed and minor adjustment of the third. I have added the CB door and the BBQGaskets gaskets to mine. She is almost airtight, so the temps are usually really stable and she shuts down in about an hour. You can see my mods HERE.

As for the various sizes, I will say that sometimes I wish I had a mini just for small, quick cooks. And I have also thought about getting a bigger, vertical insulated style cooker for the times I cook a lot more. Too bad I don't have as much money as I do dreams...

Ok, I got my 22.5 wsm today and am doing a test run as I speak. Here are my initial thoughts. It's definitely a lot bigger which is a positive. The water bowl is very shallow and my 18.5 has a deep one. I kind of prefer the deep one, but we'll see. Maybe I will like the added room to play with the coals or wood. The access door is a lot bigger and has a lot of air leaks compared to my 18.5. That's okay though, I plan to get a gasket kit and possibly the stainless door as well. Temp seems very stable for the first burn, and I know from experience it will only improve with a little build up on the walls. Glad I got it. One last thought, anyone tried the coal ring from the 18.5 with the 22.5? Since I have both, I am wondering if it may burn less coal on a short smoke.

I have both the 18.5"wsm and the 22.5"wsm, and really like them both. The 22.5"wsm is a pretty solid cooker. I haven't had any problems with it. The only thing that I would do is get the cajun Bandit door for it. I really didn't like the factory door. No problems with my 18"wsm door though.

Dan, I have heard of people using the 18.5 ring in the 22.5 to save coal. I guess it makes sense, but when I close my vents, my WSM shuts down to the point that I can put my bare hand anywhere on the outside within about an hour.

Back