Tel-Tru on Jumbo Joe

Dan B.

image_zpsec6cbc65.jpg

image_zps697cce9e.jpg

I installed a tel-tru BQ-100 in my Jumbo Joe. Substituted it for the screw in the top vent, no drilling required!

Last edited:
Nice mod! They're great thermometers. I've got Tel-Tru thermometers on most of my cookers, including my pizza oven.

P1040976_zpsc2b73ce4.jpg

not sure i know much of anything but i'm wondering if that is the best place to put one. to me it would be reading the outgoing flow temp rather than a bit more calm temp.
if you like it that way then suggest doing a test with another gauge so you can tell the differance between that and what the grate temp is. then you have something to work off of.

All I can see is how clean the grill is!! Dirty that thing up and get to grilling Mister and post the pics too!! Nice thermometer addition too!!;)

For the kettle I generally prefer a remote therm or a long stemmed therm I can poke thru the vent.
But once you get a few cooks going your lid mounted therm will indicate where you're at, even though it's not giving you an accurate grate level reading, for instance.

thats what i mean. you first need to get a referance reading or a dome therm means nothing.

For the kettle I generally prefer a remote therm or a long stemmed therm I can poke thru the vent.
But once you get a few cooks going your lid mounted therm will indicate where you're at, even though it's not giving you an accurate grate level reading, for instance.

Hey, both George's, you guys are thinking the same things I did. Yea, the locations not in the ideal location, but I didn't have to drill, and how many times have you seen a thermometer put through the top vent? And yes, I know it's clean. It's still a virgin. It's my camping/ beach/ tailgating/take to a buddies house that doesn't have a real grill grill. I just haven't used it yet. But I have lots and lots of trips planned in the spring and summer, so it's going to get lots of use.

George, you know it's been a terrible winter here in So. Cal! We've had like what, an inch of rain? But your point is taken. I'll be sure to break her in soon.

Rich, I don't think so. The vent is only being turned a few degrees to open and close it. So loosen ing shouldn't be a problem. But if it does, that's why I used the wing nut that came with the thermometer vs. the stock nut,( I can use fingers to tighten) which actually has the same thread pattern as the thermometer. This was just too clean and simple not to do it. People might think its dumb, but now I'll have some sort of heat reference. To each his own.

This was just too clean and simple not to do it. People might think its dumb, but now I'll have some sort of heat reference. To each his own.

I don't think anyone thought it was a dumb mod. I think the Jumbo Joe's is the only lid where the vent does not come riveted so it's natural to mount a thermo there. I probably would have done the same thing for ease of convenience.

yea, no thought of dumb, just of its usefullness. as long as you have referances then yer good to go.
and yes, very little rain this year and folks freak out both ways, to much or to little rain. still cracks me
up coming from hawaii.

I put a TelTrue in the vent lid on a 22", drilling out that rivet was not fun. But, it works great and looks great, and I have a good reference for what is going on in the kettle. I also used a remote to compare the differences in temps, that is an almost must for the mod to work correctly. Dan that's a great mod and glad you didn't have do any drilling, always a plus:D

Back