Technivorm Moccamaster Coffee Machine

I have the same setup X 2. I have a Baratza Encore grinder at one house and a Delonghi Ariete at the other, the Moccamasters of course and I bought a scale but only to initially determine the size scoop I needed to achieve approximately 10 grams of beans per scoop. I found a scoop that does precisely that and bought two. I use 8 scoops per full pot.
I grind to a medium-medium/coarse grind setting.
I had been turning the Moccamaster off after about 3-4 ounces of water dripped through for 30 seconds to allow the grinds to bloom. I'm thinking that step is voodoo nonsense now though as I can't taste any difference.
I'm pretty convinced that Peets Major Dickasons blend is the best overall but find Kirkland Colombian Supremo quite acceptable too.

Has anyone tried the Sam's Club Member's Mark Colombian Supremo. Just bought a bag and tried it? Seems OK but not as good as the Costco coffee of the American name.

Last edited:
Anyone else noticed that using a slightly finer grind than you might think is called for gives better overall "wetting" and "blooming" of the beans? I've been setting my grinder to a point (6 if you have a KA standup grinder) that yields a grind somewhere between coarse (Morton') Kosher salt and play sand. Using the Melita brown filters.
Another thing rearing it's head to me is I love dark (French) roast beans. Lately they've been impossible to find unless you buy Starbucks branded ones. But, I really dislike Starbucks as it has a burnt aroma and taste not a nice "rich" taste/aroma.
Thankfully I laid in a really good supply but as I find my stash dwindling I am beginning to wonder where I am going to make it up.
Another thing I did was I hate how the thermal carafes are so hard to clean inside. So while we were away last few days, I filled mine with hot water and about a teaspoon of Cascade Dishwasher Detergent. Came back to all that "grunge" pouring right out. A quick follow up with a little dish soap and a brush sparkling clean :D

Anyone else noticed that using a slightly finer grind than you might think is called for gives better overall "wetting" and "blooming" of the beans? I've been setting my grinder to a point (6 if you have a KA standup grinder) that yields a grind somewhere between coarse (Morton') Kosher salt and play sand. Using the Melita brown filters.
Another thing rearing it's head to me is I love dark (French) roast beans. Lately they've been impossible to find unless you buy Starbucks branded ones. But, I really dislike Starbucks as it has a burnt aroma and taste not a nice "rich" taste/aroma.
Thankfully I laid in a really good supply but as I find my stash dwindling I am beginning to wonder where I am going to make it up.
Another thing I did was I hate how the thermal carafes are so hard to clean inside. So while we were away last few days, I filled mine with hot water and about a teaspoon of Cascade Dishwasher Detergent. Came back to all that "grunge" pouring right out. A quick follow up with a little dish soap and a brush sparkling clean :D
I use about the same grind size as you. No complaints. I buy a pack of el cheapo dishwasher pods from Dollar Tree. Every few weeks I thrw one in the carafe and fill it with hot tap water. Let it sit for an hour or 2 and than scrub with a brush and rinse. Looks brand new every time.

Another thing rearing it's head to me is I love dark (French) roast beans. Lately they've been impossible to find unless you buy Starbucks branded ones.
I'm going to shill for a local roaster: Cameron's Coffee. They do well shipping, and we enjoy both their French and Italian roasts. I've been ordered qty 4, 4lb bags, we go through so much.

I'm going to shill for a local roaster: Cameron's Coffee. They do well shipping, and we enjoy both their French and Italian roasts. I've been ordered qty 4, 4lb bags, we go through so much.
I had no idea they were a local (well kind of ) company to the midwest. A couple of our supermarkets sell their stuff. I've never bought it because it's very expensive for the quantity. But, I may give it a try

I had no idea they were a local (well kind of ) company to the midwest. A couple of our supermarkets sell their stuff. I've never bought it because it's very expensive for the quantity. But, I may give it a try
Shakopee, MN, south of Mini-No-Place. I'll grant you that it isn't an economy brand,that's for sure. Life is too short to drink bad coffee, drink bad booze, or eat bad barbecue.

Shakopee, MN, south of Mini-No-Place. I'll grant you that it isn't an economy brand,that's for sure. Life is too short to drink bad coffee, drink bad booze, or eat bad barbecue.
I'll drink to that. And honestly I do none of those things. :D FWIW I have been finding REALLY great coffee at Costco and Sam's. 2.5lb bag when I find it about $16. 2lb bags typically $12 to $14
Believe me if they were not good coffee I would not buy it. To me scrimping on bad coffee or bad booze is bad thinking

Yeah I have gone a little finer then I originally "planned". When I look up the setting for drip with my grinder I am on the finest or one finer in that range. That plus the 80 grams of coffee for 1.25 liter of water is really having me feeling like I am dialing it in.

I had been turning the Moccamaster off after about 3-4 ounces of water dripped through for 30 seconds to allow the grinds to bloom. I'm thinking that step is voodoo nonsense now though as I can't taste any difference.
I have gone down this rabbit hole also. I have tried four different routines. One, let it go on it own. Two, start it in the closed position and after the coffee is covered I stop the machine, let it bloom for 30 secs with a stir from me during that time, then open the basket to full opening and turn the machine back on. Three, let it brew up to about two cups, turn the machine off, close the basket, 30 secs bloom and stir, open back up and brew the rest. Fourth, let it brew fully open, but after about 2 cups are brewed I stir it while still running and then let it alone.

I fully think this is as much voodoo as you, but..... I think the best cup comes from when I let it brew, but give the grinds a stir pretty early in the process.

To me scrimping on bad coffee or bad booze is bad thinking
I don't booze, which just makes me justify my focus even more on good coffee. I got a 2lb bags of beans from black and white roasters. My family loved it so we got more and I got their darker roast. Should be here tomorrow. My family got me some Peet's Espresso roast which I have been loving all week!

I have gone down this rabbit hole also. I have tried four different routines. One, let it go on it own. Two, start it in the closed position and after the coffee is covered I stop the machine, let it bloom for 30 secs with a stir from me during that time, then open the basket to full opening and turn the machine back on. Three, let it brew up to about two cups, turn the machine off, close the basket, 30 secs bloom and stir, open back up and brew the rest. Fourth, let it brew fully open, but after about 2 cups are brewed I stir it while still running and then let it alone.

I fully think this is as much voodoo as you, but..... I think the best cup comes from when I let it brew, but give the grinds a stir pretty early in the process.
If I've read any cons about the Moccamaster, it's that the shower head doesn't cover the filter basket adequately. After months of using both of mine, I have never tossed a used batch of grounds/filter that wasn't completely saturated so I disagree with that complaint.

If I've read any cons about the Moccamaster, it's that the shower head doesn't cover the filter basket adequately. After months of using both of mine, I have never tossed a used batch of grounds/filter that wasn't completely saturated so I disagree with that complaint.
I completely agree that I have never had a pot that the grounds weren’t fully saturated, but what I have found from agitating the grinds with a quick stir is that grounds on the sides are not near as saturated as the center and by giving that quick stir I am able to break the grounds off the sides have everything equally mixed and then I let it do it’s thing. Its from feeling the firmer sides while brew that has lead me to continue to do the quick stir.

I was there until I switched back to RO filtered water rather than the gravel that comes out of my taps. Glad to know I'm not the only one who finds the slightly "finer" grinds work better. Thankfully I have laid in a good supply of dark roast under the fear the prices were going to skyrocket on coffee. But, now my supply is dwindling and I have to begin looking to lay in more.

I was there until I switched back to RO filtered water rather than the gravel that comes out of my taps. Glad to know I'm not the only one who finds the slightly "finer" grinds work better. Thankfully I have laid in a good supply of dark roast under the fear the prices were going to skyrocket on coffee. But, now my supply is dwindling and I have to begin looking to lay in more.
I've found the Costco Kirkland Colombian Supremo to be consistently good at a reasonable cost. Sam's Club has a Member's Mark coffee of the same name. I ought a bag of the Sam's a few weeks ago but have only tried one pot so it's too soon yo tell if it's as good or not as the Costco stuff.

I've found the Costco Kirkland Colombian Supremo to be consistently good at a reasonable cost. Sam's Club has a Member's Mark coffee of the same name. I ought a bag of the Sam's a few weeks ago but have only tried one pot so it's too soon yo tell if it's as good or not as the Costco stuff.
Both stores have been out of the dark roasted stuff now for weeks.

Back