Technivorm Moccamaster Coffee Machine

<scratches head> Odd. In brewing, bleach is anywhere from frowned upon to leading up to a fight when used on stainless steel. It has a bad effect on the outermost layer which is where much of the corrosion resistance is. If it works for you, go for it.

I've gotten quite attached to using Powdered Brewery Wash for both my brewing equipment as kitchen stuff. It's basically a Ph stabilzed OxyClean. Do NOT let it sit on bare aluminum, it will pit it in very short order, but does a bang-up job on baked on crud.
Yeah, I won't let bleach anywhere near my stuff

I’m a Moccamaster owner as well.

I prefer pourover, but the Technivorm comes very close. I also have the Chemex among other coffee toys and I’m not a fan of the Chemex filters.

If you want to try something amazing, try a Hario Switch 👍

I am sure it's a great cup, but I don't like to bother making one cup at a time. Melita makes a decent pourover device but not my cup of tea. I would be spending half my AM making coffee

I am sure it's a great cup, but I don't like to bother making one cup at a time. Melita makes a decent pourover device but not my cup of tea. I would be spending half my AM making coffee
Precisely. Plus, for us, kitchen cabinet real estate is limited. Pour over sounds excellent but requires additional gear...kettle, filters etc...
I brew a full pot, which I measured to be 48 ozs. That's eight scoops of beans from a specific wood scoop of which I purchased two(again, one for each house). I weighed the beans and the scoop...10 grams of beans/scoop....8 scoops ground to a full pot. I mostly use just cold tap water. I've filled the pot from the filtered water from the refrigerator on occasion. I can't taste the difference but I believe that's a matter of the taste/quality of your location and water supply.

Precisely. Plus, for us, kitchen cabinet real estate is limited. Pour over sounds excellent but requires additional gear...kettle, filters etc...
I brew a full pot, which I measured to be 48 ozs. That's eight scoops of beans from a specific wood scoop of which I purchased two(again, one for each house). I weighed the beans and the scoop...10 grams of beans/scoop....8 scoops ground to a full pot. I mostly use just cold tap water. I've filled the pot from the filtered water from the refrigerator on occasion. I can't taste the difference but I believe that's a matter of the taste/quality of your location and water supply.
Our water out of the tap tastes horrid, plus i HAVE to use a water softener or my fixtures and water heater would clog up in literally days with rust and calcium/lime. Sadly the actual water coming from the ground is wonderful Artesian water. It is the "treatment" the utilities have to do to it to meet some goofy standards that mean nothing to actual safety. I used to use an RO system for the drinking/coffee and ice maker. Kinda "flat: tasting but otherwise good. But Technivorm warns against using RO water. Indicating it can ruin heating element. So I tapped into the incoming water line (prior to softener) and ran it through a seriously large carbon block filter followed by an activated coconut charcoal inline filter to the faucet, and left the RO system in place for the icemaker. So now for drinking/consumption I have safe bottled quality water with none of the crap our utilities add in.
I also weigh my grind so I follow the instructions exactly. For my daily pot it's 55grams. I probably look like a drug dealer every AM. With my little container, my scale then taring out the container and adding the coffee LOL I don't go by the scoop as I've found too many variances to be consistent

Our water out of the tap tastes horrid, plus i HAVE to use a water softener or my fixtures and water heater would clog up in literally days with rust and calcium/lime. Sadly the actual water coming from the ground is wonderful Artesian water. It is the "treatment" the utilities have to do to it to meet some goofy standards that mean nothing to actual safety. I used to use an RO system for the drinking/coffee and ice maker. Kinda "flat: tasting but otherwise good. But Technivorm warns against using RO water. Indicating it can ruin heating element. So I tapped into the incoming water line (prior to softener) and ran it through a seriously large carbon block filter followed by an activated coconut charcoal inline filter to the faucet, and left the RO system in place for the icemaker. So now for drinking/consumption I have safe bottled quality water with none of the crap our utilities add in.
I also weigh my grind so I follow the instructions exactly. For my daily pot it's 55grams. I probably look like a drug dealer every AM. With my little container, my scale then taring out the container and adding the coffee LOL I don't go by the scoop as I've found too many variances to be consistent
I think I found these scoops that hold almost exactly 10 grams by accident. I didn't get them from Amazon but they look like this but lighter.

Attachments

• 61UEa4y7LeL._AC_SX466_.jpg
    61UEa4y7LeL._AC_SX466_.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 7
I think I've had my Moccamaster KBTS (32oz Thermal) for close to 10 years now, a gift from my wife. A Baratza Encore for a little less than that when I picked up a factory re-furb. Have had that long enough to change the burrs on it and replace most parts.

This past Christmas my wife bought me a new carafe for the Moccamaster, as the original got pretty dingy and dented. Pretty pricey at $75. I wouldn't pull the trigger myself, it was a great Christmas gift idea.

One of the perks of the old house we live in now is that the counter plug for the brewer is on the same wall as the service main(on the other side) with about a 2' run, so absolutely no voltage drop. It makes a difference!

At our beach house(sold in 2015) I had good luck with an old KitchenAid brewer that could brew at temp. For myself I'd use a double-cup pour-over, I liked the process and quality, plus the ease of clean-up. For a midday cup in the office, I used to do a pour-over with pre-ground beans, because an electric kettle was the easiest way to get proper temp.

About 15 years I got hooked on home-roasting, I have a Behmor drum roaster and mostly buy beans from "SweetMarias". We now have a local business that does a great job roasting so I've actually been a bit lazy in my home roasting, wanting to support them the past few years.

I think I've had my Moccamaster KBTS (32oz Thermal) for close to 10 years now, a gift from my wife. A Baratza Encore for a little less than that when I picked up a factory re-furb. Have had that long enough to change the burrs on it and replace most parts.

This past Christmas my wife bought me a new carafe for the Moccamaster, as the original got pretty dingy and dented. Pretty pricey at $75. I wouldn't pull the trigger myself, it was a great Christmas gift idea.

One of the perks of the old house we live in now is that the counter plug for the brewer is on the same wall as the service main(on the other side) with about a 2' run, so absolutely no voltage drop. It makes a difference!

At our beach house(sold in 2015) I had good luck with an old KitchenAid brewer that could brew at temp. For myself I'd use a double-cup pour-over, I liked the process and quality, plus the ease of clean-up. For a midday cup in the office, I used to do a pour-over with pre-ground beans, because an electric kettle was the easiest way to get proper temp.

About 15 years I got hooked on home-roasting, I have a Behmor drum roaster and mostly buy beans from "SweetMarias". We now have a local business that does a great job roasting so I've actually been a bit lazy in my home roasting, wanting to support them the past few years.
How many years did the Encore go before needing burrs and other parts?

Not familiar with that brand. I have a KitchenAid https://www.walmart.com/ip/KitchenA...0771689?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=716
I bought it used nearly 15 years ago. Then bought new burrs for it, but the old ones to this day are still in perfect shape. It's big and heavy and noisy. I sort of dislike the glass bowls on it. I live in fear of having them slip out of my hands and breaking them. So I really don't know how long those burrs last. Otherwise other than occasional disassembly and blowing it clean in the garage. Have not needed a thing. I just wish it had a speed control.

How many years did the Encore go before needing burrs and other parts?
I'm not sure that it did need new burrs. I needed to replace some plastic parts affecting the burr adjustment so I did it all at the same time. The ones I replaced were especially dirty so that skewed my perception of the improved grind after replacement.
I went about 5-6 years of daily use, plus about 15-20lbs/year of home-roasted beans for others that don't have a grinder.(At this point I'm just glad they have something other than a Keurig!)

Not familiar with that brand. I have a KitchenAid https://www.walmart.com/ip/KitchenA...0771689?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=716
I bought it used nearly 15 years ago. Then bought new burrs for it, but the old ones to this day are still in perfect shape. It's big and heavy and noisy. I sort of dislike the glass bowls on it. I live in fear of having them slip out of my hands and breaking them. So I really don't know how long those burrs last. Otherwise other than occasional disassembly and blowing it clean in the garage. Have not needed a thing. I just wish it had a speed control.
Prior to the Baratza, I had the KitchenAid model grinder prior to the one you have, the modernized copy of the original A-9. I was almost exclusively making french press grind so it was fine. I like espresso but thankfully have no desire to make it at home. My wife's hinted a few time that she wants to buy me espresso gear, I refuse and show her what decent gear costs.( She buys me BBQ stuff instead!) I'm happy occasionally double-loading my aeropress for an afternoon 6oz shot of strong coffee.

Prior to the Baratza, I had the KitchenAid model grinder prior to the one you have, the modernized copy of the original A-9. I was almost exclusively making french press grind so it was fine. I like espresso but thankfully have no desire to make it at home. My wife's hinted a few time that she wants to buy me espresso gear, I refuse and show her what decent gear costs.( She buys me BBQ stuff instead!) I'm happy occasionally double-loading my aeropress for an afternoon 6oz shot of strong coffee.
I like espresso occasionally after an agreeable meal out. I don't like it enough to drop $2500+ on a machine. I hate the expression"pull shots" and the other fan boi, pretentious lingo. Also, I think Americano is pure liquid trash...perhaps an artificial, condescending term invented by Starbucks.
I'll take a nice big mug of good drip/pour over anytime.

I continue to marvel when I read this thread because I’ve only ever had one cup of coffee in my life, back when I was a probationary cop riding with my training officer who was also the head of our police association. He had me stop at a fire station to talk to the head of the fire association and when we sat down, they just handed me a cup of coffee. I was so taken back that when they asked if I wanted cream and/or sugar, I said “no”. I waited for it to get luke warm and drank it all in one swallow. I like how coffee smells, just do not care for the taste, so no coffee candy, tiramisu or coffee bbq rub for me. I often wonder how much money I’ve saved over my adult life by not having the mocha monkey on my back. (no offense to you coffee drinkers—both my parents and older sister lived on coffee. My younger brother and I are the exceptions in my family.) Now, if there were a gun thread, particularly handguns and shotguns, I would sound like you guys!,

Now, if there were a gun thread, particularly handguns and shotguns, I would sound like you guys!,
Wow, no coffee. But at least you like guns :D
BTW, I have begun experimenting with grind. Trying to determine what is "medium-coarse grind, which should look like coarse sand or sea salt" actually looks like by their definition. So today I put my grinder on 6.5. Tomorrow I will take it one step more coarse and every day until I get to nearly french press grind and see what works best. I just opened a fresh bag of Lavazza Espresso Roast beans so it will stay consistent with regard to the actual coffee. Still learning this wonderful machine.

I continue to marvel when I read this thread because I’ve only ever had one cup of coffee in my life, back when I was a probationary cop riding with my training officer who was also the head of our police association. He had me stop at a fire station to talk to the head of the fire association and when we sat down, they just handed me a cup of coffee. I was so taken back that when they asked if I wanted cream and/or sugar, I said “no”. I waited for it to get luke warm and drank it all in one swallow. I like how coffee smells, just do not care for the taste, so no coffee candy, tiramisu or coffee bbq rub for me. I often wonder how much money I’ve saved over my adult life by not having the mocha monkey on my back. (no offense to you coffee drinkers—both my parents and older sister lived on coffee. My younger brother and I are the exceptions in my family.) Now, if there were a gun thread, particularly handguns and shotguns, I would sound like you guys!,
I too was a cop. NJ... Jersey City/ Hudson County. Although, I started drinking coffee years before I attended the NJSP Academy. I surfed all year long in NJ(still do but not in Winter anymore)and a cup of coffee after getting out of the water in winter seemed necessary. However, I can promise you, the brew coming out of my Moccamaster these days is light years better than the stuff I was drinking from Greek diners 1st and 3rd shifts in Jersey City and Bayonne in the early 80's.
Oh, I find guns to interesting too👍

Wow, no coffee. But at least you like guns :D
BTW, I have begun experimenting with grind. Trying to determine what is "medium-coarse grind, which should look like coarse sand or sea salt" actually looks like by their definition. So today I put my grinder on 6.5. Tomorrow I will take it one step more coarse and every day until I get to nearly french press grind and see what works best. I just opened a fresh bag of Lavazza Espresso Roast beans so it will stay consistent with regard to the actual coffee. Still learning this wonderful machine.
We hosted a Super Bowl party Sunday. My wife's side of the family. We were gifted some interesting coffee. One bag was from a local roaster in
Lansdale, PA. It's called Punch in the Face. They sell it in Whole Foods..
I'm about to brew our second pot.
As far as grind setting...I set the Baratza Encore to about 21-23. It's medium...perhaps leaning to the very slightly coarse side. This current bag of beans has a roast date of January 21 so I experiment with pre-infusion on the Moccamaster. Yesterday's brew was excellent. Time to repeat now!

Well I ordered up the descaling stuff. I think before I begin my grind experiment I want to begin with everything "fresh". The guy I bought it from lived in AZ somewhere, and their water is like having rocks come out of the tap. Ours is VERY hard as well (though I am filtering it with carbon block and granular activated charcoal) as a "finishing" filter. But our dissolved minerals are off the charts as well. And, I don't want to use "softened" water. So as mentioned earlier I have mine tapped prior to the softener. In retrospect I should have added a 3rd housing for a sediment filter to get the rust and stuff out prior to the carbon block. I will likely do this next week or so.
In any case that machine has had some REALLY hard water in it. So before I do my experiment I will use the Urnex descaler. I will do that this afternoon and then begin my full experiment tomorrow.
Curious as to how you're doing "pre-infusion". Inquiring minds want to know :D

Well I ordered up the descaling stuff. I think before I begin my grind experiment I want to begin with everything "fresh". The guy I bought it from lived in AZ somewhere, and their water is like having rocks come out of the tap. Ours is VERY hard as well (though I am filtering it with carbon block and granular activated charcoal) as a "finishing" filter. But our dissolved minerals are off the charts as well. And, I don't want to use "softened" water. So as mentioned earlier I have mine tapped prior to the softener. In retrospect I should have added a 3rd housing for a sediment filter to get the rust and stuff out prior to the carbon block. I will likely do this next week or so.
In any case that machine has had some REALLY hard water in it. So before I do my experiment I will use the Urnex descaler. I will do that this afternoon and then begin my full experiment tomorrow.
Curious as to how you're doing "pre-infusion". Inquiring minds want to know :D
Re: descaling. I bought a 5lb. bag of citric acid on Amazon. I know the printed info. from Moccamaster says not to use citric acid immediately before recommending descalers that are totally or partially comprised of citric acid. I checked the SDS sheets for all of them. I think it's a money grab.
Anyway, the pre-infusion thing: at first I believed it to be hipster voodoo.
I'm still not 100% sure it's not. My understanding is that it's only effective with recently roasted beans. For most of the coffee I buy, there is no roasted date on the bag. Some indicate a best used by date...entirely different thing.
I let the coffee brew for the first 1-2cup markings and shut it off for 30 seconds and than turn it on again. I've stirred the grounds before but I quit that. The grounds expand upward in a spherical fashion...I guess that's where the term "blooming " comes from. Allegedly, the grounds are off gassing CO2. Not sure if I taste a difference. But interesting to observe.

Well isn't this interesting. Looked up the MSDS sheets for Bio product and regular Dezcal product. The bio looks to be 100% citric acid, the other about 70% and the rest some other compounds of sulphuric acid. Yet both claiming to be non-toxic. Got me SMH. I don't wanna be swallowing those sulphuric acid compounds..............................no no. I have always used vinegar prior to ordering this stuff. And yeah seems no matter how much I do rinse brews the machine(s) smell like a salad for a number of days. Well I ordered a huge box of the Dezcal so I am kinda stuck with it

OK I need to determine what is "normal" for this unit. So, last night I did the descale cycle using the powder from Urnex. Though of course I read the directions AFTER I did it :D. Directions said mix in 32oz lukewarm water. But not me I mixed in a full pot of warm water. Anyway ran the unit through the cycle, ran 2 rinse cycles with lukewarm water as directions indicated than did 2 more rinses with my filtered water.
This
is the flow I get from the spray arm. Is it "normal"?
Asking because when it's done brewing my spent grounds look like this. So just wondering if it's how they're supposed to look? As it seems the spray arm seems to drop more to the "front" BTW I did put a level on the spray arm and it is level
moccamaster_result.jpg

Back