Technivorm Moccamaster Coffee Machine

I’m on year 14 with my moccamaster. The mechanism that lets you stop flow or slow it for a half pot broke about 3 years ago but other than that, works like new. People always comment “this is such great coffee, what do you do”. I just shrug and smile 😊

I grind the night before and put mine on a Kasa switch and schedule it to come on when I get up. I know It’s not quite the same as grinding fresh, but there’s definitely something to be said for walking out to a fresh pot of coffee in the morning!

I decided to reward myself with a good quality coffee maker after completing our kitchen remodel myself. Although I already had a decent coffee maker and a decent conical burr grinder, I had been routinely searching FBMP for a Moccamaster. Well I found a person selling a new one...actually two new ones, never opened. Although she was selling locally, I messaged her to ask if she would ship if I paid all shipping costs. She agreed. The first one arrived via UPS two days ago. The second one is in transit. So today or Monday. $222 each including shipping!! I bought one for each house. Currently, I'm using two identical Motif Essentials coffee makers. Again, one for our beach house. They are rebadged Melittas that are quite popular in Europe but not sold in the USA. They brew a great pot of coffee to the SCA Golden Cup standards. But the Moccamaster is the Holy Grail of coffee makers! The bonus is each one comes with a pound of whole bean coffee, a box of #4 filters and a package of descaler. I have the Baratza Encore grinder in our primary home and I recently bought a Delonghi Ariete grinder for the beach house. The coffee in the morning is worth every penny spent on this gear.
I cut waaaaay back on caffeine, years ago, so I limit myself to one 16 oz cup, that I nurse all day. The wife doesn't drink coffee, (and we need the counter-space), so I ditched the Krups drip machine for a press. A few months back, I bought a Chemex and haven't used the press since.
I'm almost scared to ask, (for fear of having to buy one 😉 ), but is the coffee brewed in a Moccamaster, noticeably better than a Chemex pour-over? If so, in what way?

I cut waaaaay back on caffeine, years ago, so I limit myself to one 16 oz cup, that I nurse all day. The wife doesn't drink coffee, (and we need the counter-space), so I ditched the Krups drip machine for a press. A few months back, I bought a Chemex and haven't used the press since.
I'm almost scared to ask, (for fear of having to buy one 😉 ), but is the coffee brewed in a Moccamaster, noticeably better than a Chemex pour-over? If so, in what way?
I've never made or drank pour over. In everything that I have researched and read, the better coffee makers mimic pour over...water temp., grounds size, brew time. The benefit being quantity without sacrificing quality.

I've never made or drank pour over. In everything that I have researched and read, the better coffee makers mimic pour over...water temp., grounds size, brew time. The benefit being quantity without sacrificing quality.
Thanks!
Makes sense. Pour over coffee is my favorite, and the Chemex brews excellent coffee. Except for travel, I rarely use a press.

I used ”Mellitta” pots for years, excellent coffee, took it camping, took it to bluegrass festivals some, of those folks thought it was NUTS! Then, I’d offer a cup, Two years later I counted fifteen people with them, much like when I took the 22” kettle and a half a box of turkey legs! People walked by and offered cornbread and beans since we were obviously in dire straights eating that stuff! “Here, let me cut you a bite…” people started showing up with kettles in another year or two.
I have mostly traveled with a fairly well stocked camp kitchen, two burner Coleman, kettle, maybe a small propane burner good kettle for boiling water, good coffee, much better knives than really necessary but, when you find some really excellent produce on the way to the festival grounds, you might want to do some sort of great feast! I carry a good instrument, why not carry good tools for other pursuits!?

This. Pour over gives you the control and ability to perfectly extract the flavors. A good coffee pot tries to overcome the limitations of doing that hands-off for 10cups.

I was close to pulling the trigger on a moccamaster during christmas for myself, I have a hard time justifying the cost...I have my home brew pour over method down pat which takes more time but I am picky about taste...so instead I splurged on some italian roasted beans and capresso burr grinder and retired the hand grinder. I drink 2-4 cups a day maybe....I am more of a tea drinker so my kettle gets lots of use

Have one coming from FleaBay. Found someone who bought one, than decided they liked their stove top Bialetti better and only brewed 4 or 5 pots with the Moccamaster. So, looking forward to it getting here. Was looking at the Technivorm web site and noticed something strange that would apply to me. I have a 5 stage reverse osmosis system in the house. Because of the water softener the kids (young little tykers at the time) hated the taste. Due to the chlorine and the weird feel of the water to drink, I did not want to consume the salt and also did not like the taste. But I was shocked to see Technivorm warning against using water from RO systems explaining it will ruin the copper heating element and plumbing internally. So yesterday I spent the time to add in a plain high capacity/high filtration carbon block filter to the kitchen sink plumbed off my incoming water line. So I now have outstanding tasting water to drink and brew with thanks to the deep Kishwaukee aquifer we draw water from without needing to worry about anything foul smelling like chlorine or the possibility of anything toxic. The RO system is now only plumbed to my ice maker so I have those wonderful crystal clear ice cubes I like when I am having my occasional "delightful adult beverage". Can't wait for the Moccamaster to arrive! Honestly only reason is my current coffee maker, is causing damage to the underside of my cabinet. It's a high end Zojirushi if anyone is interested. It does make excellent coffee too https://www.zojirushi.com/app/product/ecytc if anyone is interested in it PM me

Have one coming from FleaBay. Found someone who bought one, than decided they liked their stove top Bialetti better and only brewed 4 or 5 pots with the Moccamaster. So, looking forward to it getting here. Was looking at the Technivorm web site and noticed something strange that would apply to me. I have a 5 stage reverse osmosis system in the house. Because of the water softener the kids (young little tykers at the time) hated the taste. Due to the chlorine and the weird feel of the water to drink, I did not want to consume the salt and also did not like the taste. But I was shocked to see Technivorm warning against using water from RO systems explaining it will ruin the copper heating element and plumbing internally. So yesterday I spent the time to add in a plain high capacity/high filtration carbon block filter to the kitchen sink plumbed off my incoming water line. So I now have outstanding tasting water to drink and brew with thanks to the deep Kishwaukee aquifer we draw water from without needing to worry about anything foul smelling like chlorine or the possibility of anything toxic. The RO system is now only plumbed to my ice maker so I have those wonderful crystal clear ice cubes I like when I am having my occasional "delightful adult beverage". Can't wait for the Moccamaster to arrive! Honestly only reason is my current coffee maker, is causing damage to the underside of my cabinet. It's a high end Zojirushi if anyone is interested. It does make excellent coffee too https://www.zojirushi.com/app/product/ecytc if anyone is interested in it PM me

Congratulations. You'll love it.
I just ran the second Moccamaster I bought on Ebay through its initial "cleaning " cycles in our beach house a few hours ago. It's ready to brew it's first pot in a few hours. Both I bought were brand new in original boxes. Turns out the coffee that came with both was just plain stale.So I tossed both bags. Both machines came from a place called roastmasters.com originally and were packed in the Technivorm Moccamaster box inside the roastmasters.com box.
I've read that water from RO systems is not desirable for good coffee. However, filtered water is...that the RO process removes too many desirable minerals etc..

Last edited:
Well it came yesterday. I don't think the previous owner made more than a couple pots in it. Set it up, brewed my first pot using some PEETS organic French Roast pre-ground coffee. A bag I found on sale at Costco a couple weeks ago and could not pass up. Anyway it's ground a little finer than Technivorm recommends, but I wanted to use it as I had also been using it in my Zojirushi. Amazing how many different flavors and aromas I notice in a cup of that Joe. Very quiet as well. And faaast. So far VERY pleased.

Well it came yesterday. I don't think the previous owner made more than a couple pots in it. Set it up, brewed my first pot using some PEETS organic French Roast pre-ground coffee. A bag I found on sale at Costco a couple weeks ago and could not pass up. Anyway it's ground a little finer than Technivorm recommends, but I wanted to use it as I had also been using it in my Zojirushi. Amazing how many different flavors and aromas I notice in a cup of that Joe. Very quiet as well. And faaast. So far VERY pleased.
Good deal. I actually timed the brewing cycle for a full pot(48ozs.) 6 minutes and 42 seconds. I've been filling the thermal carafe with hot tap water while I grind the beans in the winter only.
I'm halfway through a bag of Peers Major Dickasons right now. I may make a Costco run today or tomorrow for coffee even though I know there a bag of Kirkland Colombian Supremo and Mayorga Cubano roast in the garage. Also, I'm planning a Restaurant Depot run for a few things...
16oz. paper coffee to-go cups. I usually buy 2 cases of 1000 cups each. That costs about $100...a bit less. They are a true practical luxury...as is the Moccamaster itself!

One thing I did notice that is a little bit of a disappointment. The carafe sure does not keep the coffee hot like my Zojirushi does. Of course that's the main focus of that company thermos type bottles. So it keeps things hot like crazy.

Back