Technivorm Moccamaster Coffee Machine

Depends what I make it in LOL. In the OXO? it's outstanding. In the Breville (at least on the base "Gold" setting) it's pretty good and in the MM sour (if you only leave the MM to it's own devices). Now, if you stand there at it, holding in the safety button, allowing a couple cups of hot water to flow in, then reach in a stir it around wait a bit about 45 seconds, then allow it to finish brewing it is as good as the OXO. I have yet to try it on manipulated settings with the Breville though. I will be trying that tomorrow. And will report back.
I think though, the more I drink coffee from the Breville and the OXO......................the more I am thinking the MM is going to get put up for sale. I also am learning to dislike the pot on the MM. What is with the huge lip all around it? Wife hates it as well. Seems others do as well since I noticed the latest version has a carafe more like my other 2 machines
I think it's decent coffee at a very good price point.
I do like switching it up a bit with beans though but only within the available assortment at Costco.
I'm convinced you got a lemon of a Moccamaster. Was it new when you bought it?
I have two identical Moccamasters that were brand new in the box that I bought from the same seller in NY on FBMP. Zero issues with both.
I experimented yesterday again with flooding the basket and letting it sit for 30 seconds. Zero difference in taste to either of us.
Just another pot of excellent coffee.
The longer I own the Delonghi Ariete grinder, the more I like it. I'm thinking of swapping it with the Baratza Encore and keep the Baratza at the beach house. Too bad Delonghi discontinued it.
Powerful, fast and decibels quieter than the Baratza. Consistent grind quality too.

I think it's decent coffee at a very good price point.
I do like switching it up a bit with beans though but only within the available assortment at Costco.
I'm convinced you got a lemon of a Moccamaster. Was it new when you bought it?
I have two identical Moccamasters that were brand new in the box that I bought from the same seller in NY on FBMP. Zero issues with both.
I experimented yesterday again with flooding the basket and letting it sit for 30 seconds. Zero difference in taste to either of us.
Just another pot of excellent coffee.
The longer I own the Delonghi Ariete grinder, the more I like it. I'm thinking of swapping it with the Baratza Encore and keep the Baratza at the beach house. Too bad Delonghi discontinued it.
Powerful, fast and decibels quieter than the Baratza. Consistent grind quality too.
No, like most any "high end" thing, I figured I would find a lightly used one to give it a go. I got it from someone who MIGHT have used it 4 or 5 times. I don't recall why they explained to me, but, IIRC they used it so little they decided to go to a pod type machine because they were down to a half cup each and they thought it a waste to use a large machine to make a singe or 1.5 cups of coffee. I know they come with a sample box of filters and they did use those. IIRC it was a package of 10 sample filters and there was only like 4 or 5 missing out of the box, there were no deposits of any kind in the machine (either water stains, hard water stains etc) and or coffee stains in the carafe. It was even in the original packaging and nearly pristine. So, I felt safe buying from them, no reason to doubt what they told me re their reasoning for not using it or selling it.
One thing I do notice is there are 2 or 3 different "styles" of this particular 10 cup MM. 2 styles with the thermal carafe and with the glass carafe and that the brew arm on some of them is visibly further over the center of the brew basket. I notice on mine with the automatic drip stop, no the case. Seems the arm is definitely "oriented" toward the side of the basket nearest the water tank. And that even if the water discharges evenly across the arm, it still "dumps" to the side of the basket, carving that divot on the left side and leaving the right side basically dry. And I did try everything from about as fine a grind as I dared to almost so coarse no extraction took place. Same result every time. Left side divot, right side dry. Water temp is spot on spec, different water types tried (everything from bottled, RO, to just plain from the wells through carbon block). If the spray arm was just 5mm longer....................it would discharge in the center and all would have been right with the world :D

OK, so this AM used Breville as described earlier. 40oz water, 68 grams coffee (same grind as yesterday), 50 sec bloom, slow flow rate and 195 brew temp. The Breville was still slightly faster than the OXO, by maybe a minute to 90 seconds. Funny thing on the Breville it makes killer aromas when brewing.
Anyway the brew was very nice. Yes could tell difference between it and OXO. Have to describe as maybe a little more chocolate notes coming forward though VERY hard to describe. If I was blind tasting them side by side I know I could definitely tell them apart. But, could not be able to say one tasted "better" than the other. Just SLIGHTLY different but both VERY VERY good. So, I cannot say I would choose one over the other.
I just like using the Breville better than the OXO simply because given our kitchen setup it's easier to use.
But that difference in height from brew basket to carafe and the shorter/fatter carafe with the wide mouth definitely does not keep the heat like the tall skinny carafes of the OXO and the Moccamaster.
But, I WILL say that for straight up making coffee I will take one of them over the MM every day of the week. The fact that I use "My Brew" on the Breville does not take away from it's ease of use. Because, once "My Brew" is set, it remembers what you like. So if you buy a 3lb bag of beans, setup My Brew for those beans you have a good long time to enjoy without setting differently. It even remembers how you brewed the last pot. So it's not like you have to do much more than slip the basket and the carafe in, fill with water and push "start".
So re the carafe. A long time ago I had another coffee maker with a carafe like that. It was a Bunn speed brew thermal. Like the Breville, your first cup was nice and hot. Subsequent always required the services of "Chef Mike", to "nuke" it a little bit. It too had a large mouth squat carafe.
Easy to clean. VERY easy but that large neck/mouth is not conducive to keeping stuff hot.
Not sure which tradeoff I like better LOL.

Anyway, here is the scoop. I ended up so totally enjoying how well and how easily the Breville brews compared to the Moccamaster, I gave up on it and listed it on FleaBay. Sold it and shipped it out yesterday to Washington State somewhere. Also rediscovered just how good the OXO Brew 9 Cup brews. Not as flexible as the Breville, or given how my kitchen is set up not as easy to use (because of the flip up lid over the brew basket compared to Breville's slide out brew basket). On the OXO I have to constantly be moving it to either be filling it or pulling out the brew basket. The Breville only one move out from under cabinet to fill it with water. Otherwise it can stay put.
But, I gotta say the OXO actually makes a slightly better pot of Joe.
I may look into this one from them. As it would not need to be slid in and out. Simply fill it and turn it on

So, sort of funny issue here. Sold my Moccamaster to a woman out near Redmond WA. Shipped it FedEx and was supposed to arrive to her 2nd day, or Jan 12th. Well, it was just delivered this afternoon! After numerous calls and emails with FedEx. Amazing how bad the weather messed this sale up. Thankfully she got it safe and sound and she's pleased

A box that size isn't cheap to ship 2nd day. Did FedEx refund the difference between 2 day and ground shipping?

A box that size isn't cheap to ship 2nd day. Did FedEx refund the difference between 2 day and ground shipping?
No. It was weather related. IIRC shipping ran me about $22 Really not bad. I was just relieved after the mess USPS made of that first Breville grinder I received crushed with huge hole in the side of the box with a boot print no less. Talk about blatantly ruining something likely on purpose.

So, I've really had my eye on this coffee maker. It does the grind and brew for each individual cup. It's 33% off but that price still hurts. Anyone have any experience with this brand/model?

Miele NEW CM 5310 Silence Automatic Coffee Maker & Espresso Machine Combo, 1.3L, Tayberry Red - Grinder, Milk Frother https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BG5GHS5?tag=tvwb-20

I'm not real sure I love coffee enough to pull the trigger on this one, even at the discount price.

So, I've really had my eye on this coffee maker. It does the grind and brew for each individual cup. It's 33% off but that price still hurts. Anyone have any experience with this brand/model?

Miele NEW CM 5310 Silence Automatic Coffee Maker & Espresso Machine Combo, 1.3L, Tayberry Red - Grinder, Milk Frother https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BG5GHS5?tag=tvwb-20

I'm not real sure I love coffee enough to pull the trigger on this one, even at the discount price.
Honestly I would never buy an all in one no matter the price. I like having the control to do what want how I want it.

That's a superautomatic. They make espresso and espresso based drinks only. There are dozens, if not hundreds out there. It's simply not drip, pour over or French press coffee. I'm sure it's OK if espresso is your thing but watering down an espresso or 2 and calling it an Americano doesn't work. People who like a good cup of batch brewed coffee will think an Americano tastes like warm ditchwater...because it does.

Last edited:

Back