TC issues with new HM 4.3

Grant C

Hey guys, hoping someone can help with my issues. Just purchased an assembled 4.3 w/TC and have it hooked up with a RPi 3B+ that I had laying around from a previous project. After getting it to connect to WIFI, here are the issues I have had/am having:

This is all solely doing bench testing.
  1. Upon initial boot, the display immediately said no pit probe.
    1. upon investigation the TC was already chosen and it seemed as if the HM was already configured. Maybe Bryan did this before shipping?
  2. I am getting spikes in the pit probe of ~15-50 deg while bench testing.
    1. I checked with 3 different TC's and they are all very similar. From a cheap Amz to a high end Omega
    2. the food probes do not do this
    3. I have looked at the diagnostic for the TC and there appears to be a lot of noise (~03-10Nz)
  3. at times it appears to be just fine but then appears to have a lot of noise
  4. I am using the 2.4 GHz band of my router. I can change that if necessary.
thanks for any help!

Check out this thread:

Check out this thread:
Thanks for sending this. I looked through the whole thread and did everything it said and I still get a lot of noise. It isn't sine wave like, so I don't think it is AC related.

Grant,
As you can see this topic was popular and is still unsolved. My next move was to purchase this
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1952 and another cable with 10 f/m pins sets. Between the 2, I could make a jumper to separate and test. I was going to separate the Pi and the HM apart as far as possible to see if noise was reduced or eliminated by using the cable connected to the headers join Pi and HM. Also if needed I could shield and ground the shield I wrapped around the HM to see what that would do. Not sure if Brian or anyone else has gone this direction, but I think this would be a good experiment.

Grant,
As you can see this topic was popular and is still unsolved. My next move was to purchase this
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1952 and another cable with 10 f/m pins sets. Between the 2, I could make a jumper to separate and test. I was going to separate the Pi and the HM apart as far as possible to see if noise was reduced or eliminated by using the cable connected to the headers join Pi and HM. Also if needed I could shield and ground the shield I wrapped around the HM to see what that would do. Not sure if Brian or anyone else has gone this direction, but I think this would be a good experiment.
Hey Gary,
I believe I figured out my problem. It kinda was AC noise but mainly because of power strip that didn't behave well. The noise didn't resemble a sine wave but more like random noise. So, this past weekend I was able to use it on my first cook with pretty good results. Plan to start another thread highlighting the issues I had and how to correct them. Thanks, grant

Back