Tavern style thin crust pizza

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
@Rich G don't be mad at me because my son already is, but for the first time since I started making pizza I am using a different dough. I have always used Rich's "Nearly-politan" Pizza Dough. My family love it and and my son loves loves loves it. However, my wife has been into thin crust pizza lately (it reminds her of her and dads favorite pizza on the New Jersey Shore Boardwalk) and asked me to make her some. It was her 40th BDAY last Sunday and yesterday was her last day of the school year so I had to make this for her and now. My son is not happy, he doesn't understand why we are messing with prefectiction (his words not mine) and if he has to clean the pizza dough containers it should be for his regular dough.
So I started to research thin crust pizza, and I decided J. Kenji López-Alt's Chicago Thin-Crust (Tavern-Style) Pizza Dough from the New York Times was the best first attempt. In case you don't have the Times here are some screenshots.
Screenshot_20240607-082542.png
Screenshot_20240607-082553.png
Screenshot_20240607-082600.png
Screenshot_20240607-082833.png

So I wiped up a triple batch (for 6 pies) on Tuesday night and they went right into the fridge.
My goal was to take them out last night, roll them out, and let them sit on the counter for 20 ish hours, but i got thrown into one of those crazy work days that took me working until midnight. So this morning at 5 I got them out of the fridge and at 7 I rolled them out and stacked them on the counter top with butcher paper between each one. I struggled to get them completely round, it got better as I went along. The pictures are NOT of my first attempt.
IMG_20240607_080748.jpg
IMG_20240607_083206.jpg

Today is my telework day, I am pretty booked now until 5, but when I go up from the basement office between meetings I am going to keep rotating which pizza skin is on top.
I will check back in with you guys tonight letting you know how it goes with this new recipe.

Last edited:
Looks good. I used to make good pizza dough, now I couldn't if my life depended on it

I can't tell you the number of times I have annoyed my family by changing a recipe they like, Michael!!! ....and, for the record, I've tweaked my pizza dough lots of times, not always with good results (always edible, though.)

One of the reasons I like pizza is because there are so many different styles to make, and toppings to put on them. To some people there is only "one" style that is "real" pizza. I find that so limiting! I'm glad you are experimenting, and, even better, doing it to make your wife happy! :)

You never know, your son may be blown away by this style!

R

@Rich G don't be mad at me because my son already is, but for the first time since I started making pizza I am using a different dough. I have always used Rich's "Nearly-politan" Pizza Dough. My family love it and and my son loves loves loves it. However, my wife has been into thin crust pizza lately (it reminds her of her and dads favorite pizza on the New Jersey Shore Boardwalk) and asked me to make her some. It was her 40th BDAY last Sunday and yesterday was her last day of the school year so I had to make this for her and now. My son is not happy, he doesn't understand why we are messing with prefectiction (his words not mine) and if he has to clean the pizza dough containers it should be for his regular dough.
So I started to research thin crust pizza, and I decided J. Kenji López-Alt's Chicago Thin-Crust (Tavern-Style) Pizza Dough from the New York Times was the best first attempt. In case you don't have the Times here are some screenshots.
View attachment 92735
View attachment 92746
View attachment 92738
View attachment 92739

So I wiped up a triple batch (for 6 pies) on Tuesday night and they went right into the fridge.
My goal was to take them out last night, roll them out, and let them sit on the counter for 20 ish hours, but i got thrown into one of those crazy work days that took me working until midnight. So this morning at 5 I got them out of the fridge and at 7 I rolled them out and stacked them on the counter top with butcher paper between each one. I struggled to get them completely round, it got better as I went along. The pictures are NOT of my first attempt.
View attachment 92740
View attachment 92741

Today is my telework day, I am pretty booked now until 5, but when I go up from the basement office between meetings I am going to keep rotating which pizza skin is on top.
I will check back in with you guys tonight letting you know how it goes with this new recipe.
Do you use a dough docker on your thin crust ?

When you say roll, I hope your not using some device such as a rolling pin.
@EricV. , while I generally eschew a rolling pin for my Neo or NY style doughs, I think it's appropriate to use one for a "tavern-style" thin crust pizza. Then again, I'm open to your thoughts on why no rolling pin here since I've never attempted this style. Any specific reason you are opposed to a rolling pin for this one? I am genuinely curious! :)

R

@EricV. , while I generally eschew a rolling pin for my Neo or NY style doughs, I think it's appropriate to use one for a "tavern-style" thin crust pizza. Then again, I'm open to your thoughts on why no rolling pin here since I've never attempted this style. Any specific reason you are opposed to a rolling pin for this one? I am genuinely curious! :)

R
Well, what you are doing when using a rolling device is that you are popping all those precious bubbles inside your pizza dough & the bubbles are what gives you a nice chewy crust. However, in tavern style pizza it probably does not apply. I am not familiar with rolling skins out several days advance, usually I just leave the dough alone until ready to make the pizza.

isn't the thin pie known as a Chicago cracker pizza? as in the skin is so thin it's like a cracker and it's cut into small squares.

idk much about it, having only eaten it once. it was too thin for my liking.

but then i prefer a NY thin style versus classic Neo, which i find quite doughy and chewy.

Roman pizza is up high on the list of excellent pizza. I thought it was one of the better pizzas we've had and enjoyed.

Well, what you are doing when using a rolling device is that you are popping all those precious bubbles inside your pizza dough & the bubbles are what gives you a nice chewy crust. However, in tavern style pizza it probably does not apply. I am not familiar with rolling skins out several days advance, usually I just leave the dough alone until ready to make the pizza.
Totally agree with what the pin does to the dough, and why you wouldn't want that for something like NY or Neapolitan. Now I'm somewhat curious to see Michael's results (well, I was anyway), but I would think that this is one style of dough where a rolling pin (or a sheeter in a commercial operation) would make sense (along with docking the dough as well.) Ok, Michael, we're counting on you! :)

R

Most Chi town joints use a rolling machine similar to a pasta roller but bigger. Just keep feeding it till they get the desired thickness.
Edit: Rich mentioned a sheeter. that's what they use.
Just in time for my birthday/fathers day :LOL:

Last edited:
isn't the thin pie known as a Chicago cracker pizza? as in the skin is so thin it's like a cracker and it's cut into small squares.

idk much about it, having only eaten it once. it was too thin for my liking.
Most people think deep dish pizza is Chicago style, but nah, that's for the tourists.
Thin and crispy with a cracker crust is true Chicago. The tavern slice was for serving in a tavern, more slices to go around.

At first check this morning, the pizza skins were not going to dry out stacked on top each other so I pulled them apart and laid them across the table.
IMG_20240607_095423.jpg

Next check, tops starting to get leathery but the bottoms not at all so I flipped each one. Then I flipped them again and again through the day. You can see how much moisture was on the butcher paper.
IMG_20240607_173849.jpg

Here is how the skins were looking before cooking.
IMG_20240607_173251.jpg
IMG_20240607_173242.jpg

Got the kettle right at 500 and went to thrown the first pie. It was a complete failure... With it be dried I didn't think I needed to flour the bottom or the pizza peel and it would not come off. I fought and fought with that thing. I got it on, turned around, and there is my youngest daughter just watching me, "how'd that go dad?" I said nothing. Second through sixth pies come much better with the addition of a little flour.
IMG_20240607_182319.jpg
IMG_20240607_182541.jpg

IMG_20240607_180437.jpg
IMG_20240607_185030.jpg

My wife and oldest daughter loved this cook. My wife said it was way better than she expected from me on a first attempt. It could absolutely be a touch crunchier. I will roll them out the night before next time and see the impact of that. I also struggled to keep the kettle up at 500, will get it a little hotter next to help keep it were we want it to be. Pinched sausage will also be added next attempt.

My son, youngest, and I like our other pizza better, but it was great adding another recipe and it made my wife really happy that I made it for her.

My son, youngest, and I like our other pizza better, but it was great adding another recipe and it made my wife really happy that I made it for her.
....and that's it, right there! Wife is happy that you gave it a go, and you have some ideas for next time. Nice work, Michael! The pies look great, bet you can get them dialed in just right! Love the cupped up pepperoni slices, too....perfect for catching some of that rendering fat! :)

R

Back