Tatonka Dust

RJ Banks

TVWBB All-Star
After seeing posts taking about this I decided to bite the bullet and order some. I am just praying that the good reviews I have been reading live up to the price. Excited to try it out when it gets in though.

Last edited:
I bought a sample to try it out, it is very good. I purchased a larger bag to add to my supply.

My order came in the other day. I couldn't believe how great it smelled when I opened the pouch. I mean it smelled INCREDIBLE. After the smell, my expectations were high. I had a chuck roast I had bought just for this occasion. I rubbed it down and on the smoker it went. After it was done and rested, I pulled it and vacuum packed it for later use. Of course I had to try it. And it was really good. Not sure if it was as good as the price but I was pretty impressed. I am going to give it a few more cooks with different things before I make my final decision if I would order it again.

Bag says it will work on pretty much any meat. I've only had it this way so far. Let me know how it works for you on those.

Ordered it here, http://www.owensbbq.com/tatonka-dust--sausage-seasonings.html

Jak, last night was the night I decided to use the roast I had made and shredded with the Tatonka Dust. I must say after it being vacuum sealed for a week or so the flavor was way better than the night I had made it. I used it for sandwiches and wound up eating three of them. I put some bbq sauce on one and it actually tasted much better without it. You will love it!

Any chance you would share that recipe?;). I am going to try this on brisket but would like to find another that I really like.

Don't know that anyone would want to do at home what we do for comps. I don't when I'm cooking for myself or friends.

Wet age for 50 days then freeze. Marinate, inject, rub, marinate more, foil with mop sauce, and sauce before turn in. Have to pump it up for that 30 second taste test.

It is. KCBS judges have their own idea on what each meat should taste like and you run a big risk if you do anything a little bit differently. I know, we have tried and it didn't go over big with the judges even though everyone else that tasted said it was great.

Example, we used a North Carolina style sauce on the pulled pork in our pork box at one contest. Great stuff. It is Kitty's North Carolina BBQ and Dipping Sauce. Try it if you can find it and I think you will be impressed. The judges, not so much. Finished middle of the pack and this was just after we finished 22nd in pork at the American Royal out of 565 teams so it isn't like we don't know how to do a butt. In the midwest and KC area, they want sweet. Get away from that and you will get a lower score. Too bad as it doesn't allow for any innovation.

Last edited:
Used the Tatonka Dust last night on some sirloin steaks! Now I found it turned the steaks black & not very good looking and very salty! Is it ment to be rubbed in or not? Or have I used to much? Cheers

Back