Tank scales - new LP tanks don't fit

Jeff Padell

TVWBB Pro
I have a Silver B and Gold B, 1999 and 2004 respectively. When I got two new 20 pound tanks the handgrip areas are formed for comfort not to be held by a Weber propane scale and holder.

do they make different attachments? or should I try to bubba something up?

Do all the openings on the tank have these handgrips? In the past it was only one of the three openings with the handgrip.

The hole in the back is a circle the two rectangular holes have the grips. Not a big deal as I just sit it on the bricks but if I move it I have to disconnect it.

I also found this out after buying a tank for my Platinum II.

Lowe's and Home Depot both sell the Bernzomatic brand 20lb tanks. It has one circle in the middle and two lifting handles to each side of the circle.

http://www.lowes.com/pd/BernzOmatic-20-lb-Propane-Tank/4076498

If I had to do it all over again I would get the Manchester brand tanks that Tractor Supply and True Value sell. Those tanks have one large lifting handle in the middle and two large oval holes to the sides, perfect for hanging on a Weber Scale.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...e-cylinder-equipped-with-qcc1-opd-valve-20-lb

Jeff

Last edited:
I usually use Blue Rhino from Kroger as they are $16. They are usually compatible. I haven't replaced one in a while but I am definitely going to check it out before I exchange it.

I just noticed this when i went in for a tank exchange. Just ask for ones with the circle hole in front if you do a tank exchange next time. I did find that the lipped handle will stay on, but not super securely. If yours has the circle hole, just use that.

The circle hole is at the back and the ovals at the sides and the circle is too small to fit on the scale and the full rounded side ovals are way bigger than the scale. Not a chance to get it to hold

It fits fine on mine, but maybe not the oldies. Regardless, either bring them back for refund or exchange them for different ones at Blue Rhino, etc..

Back