Tank holder wing nut size?

Greg M

TVWBB All-Star
I was changing out the tank on my genesis 1000 today and the wing but on the arm bracket (with the scale) popped off and went between my deck boards. Gone. Anyone know exactly what size that wing but is? I'll have to order from Amazon. If rather not go to a hardware store right now...

I was changing out the tank on my genesis 1000 today and the wing but on the arm bracket (with the scale) popped off and went between my deck boards. Gone. Anyone know exactly what size that wing but is? I'll have to order from Amazon. If rather not go to a hardware store right now...

Wow, I haven't gotten that serious yet, but I don't blame you. Our Ace is still open, and I was in there just a couple days ago. And, no, I don't think I am at all invincible, unlike the streams for spring breakers who did a great job of spreading this virus all over our state:mad:.

Maybe I'm being over cautious Jon. I'm obviously going to work since I'm in healthcare. But other than that we are avoiding stores when possible. Yeah the spring break kids were pretty ridiculous.

The ridiculous ones are the parents who pay the tuition for these kids and the people that want to make tuition free.

But, I think you will find out that much of the stuff on amazon wont ship for another 3-4 weeks.

Are you asking about the wing nut that you loosen to change tanks?

If so, I doubt your tank is going to fly away if you don't replace it. On mine, that bracket has been turned 90 degrees (the position to remove the tank) for 20 years.
Tank was always there when I needed it!

Cheers,
Gerry

Same here. I can't even tell you if mine is still in place. Unless you plan to take your grill 4 wheeling, the clamp thingy is kind of useless.

Are you asking about the wing nut that you loosen to change tanks?

If so, I doubt your tank is going to fly away if you don't replace it. On mine, that bracket has been turned 90 degrees (the position to remove the tank) for 20 years.
Tank was always there when I needed it!

Cheers,
Gerry

Yeah that's the one. I know it's not essential. But it'll bug me until I replace it.

Greg, if you can't find one and really want one, PM me your address and I will fire one off in the mail.

The ridiculous ones are the parents who pay the tuition for these kids and the people that want to make tuition free.

But, I think you will find out that much of the stuff on amazon wont ship for another 3-4 weeks.

Yeah some stuff from Amazon is delayed. But a lot of stuff is still shipping in 3 days.

We are one of those parents who paid for their kids college education. He graduates this semester. We don't regret it at all. We could afford it and he's a great kid. He'll get to start out without that debt hanging over him. Our other son went to college a year at our community college and decided it wasn't for him. We paid for that too but considered it a learning experience for him. But I do get your point. Lots of spoiled kids out there that don't appreciate what they are given but they aren't all like that.

Last edited:
Well, then replace at your convenience. No need to rush. Get it from the local hardware store. Probably costs a quarter?

Probably a bit more than that for stainless. I thought it might just be a buck or 2 on amazon which would be fine. But it's more like 6 bucks. So yeah I'll probably just wait.

Yeah some stuff from Amazon is delayed. But a lot of stuff is still shipping in 3 days.

We are one of those parents who paid for their kids college education. He graduates this semester. We don't regret it at all. We could afford it and he's a great kid. He'll get to start out without that debt hanging over him. Our other son went to college a year at our community college and decided it wasn't for him. We paid for that too but considered it a learning experience for him. But I do get your point. Lots of spoiled kids out there that don't appreciate what they are given but they aren't all like that.
I was one of those spoiled kids. Parents paid for me to go to IIT. I wasted the opportunity and dropped out after a year and a half. Took a few years to get my stuff together and got into the local electricians (IBEW) apprenticeship. 30 years later, I'm in great shape! Don't give up on the spoiled idiots!

And it's great that you were able to give your kids a "leg up"! That's not easy for a lot of parents. Good work!
I believe the current shortage of skilled trade workers is an opportunity for those who persue it.

Gerry

Last edited:
Gerry I was kind of a spoiled kid too. My father paid for my college and I knocked around it for a number of years without any real goal. I did always work but I'm sure my father wondered what I was doing there for a while. But he never lost patience. I got serious when I got married and finished and have had a good career.

I agree with you that a skilled trade is just as good as college.

I have an MBA and am a CPA, CMA, and whatever...If I had it to do all over, I think I would have picked a trade and tried to really excel in it. I would love to have been a Norm Abram(y). I am sick of staring at computer screens and am most happy working with my hands. That's how I have gotten into grill restorations.

+1 on trade schools. Most of the programs are high demand and they cost so much less than a formal college degree. Not all careers are good for a trade school setting, but many are.

Jon you are of course a different generation but you remind me of my father. Who was also a CPA. He loved being a CPA but he also loved working with his hands. He always said he thought He would have been just as happy being a craftsman of some sort. He really taught me a lot.

Last edited:
I have an MBA and am a CPA, CMA, and whatever...If I had it to do all over, I think I would have picked a trade and tried to really excel in it. I would love to have been a Norm Abram(y). I am sick of staring at computer screens and am most happy working with my hands. That's how I have gotten into grill restorations.
Understood. I've watched Norm for years. He makes it look easy because he has the knowledge and skill to to do it right.

A guy like that is valuable. Unfortunately, in these days most people don't care about quality, only price. Fortunately, those that provide quality craftsmanship are in high demand and can name their price.

I restored a couple of old first generation Weber grills because they lasted 30 years without any real problems. They were expensive then, but they were made well.
I personally wouldn't have a new one if it was given to me. I'd sell it.
Oh, and getting back to your question.
I believe it's 1/4-20 as you found from the manual.

Cheers
Gerry

Last edited:

Back