Taming the Vinegar?

Steve St

TVWBB Member
Made some sauce last night and the vinegar is a bit much. Main ingredients are ketchup, vinegar, mustard with onion, garlic, Worcestershire, garlic, pepper, etc..
Is there anything I can do to tame the vinegar a bit?
Thanks
Steve

Water, apple sauce or juice, meat drippings when serving, tomato paste, and I'm sure there are a lot of other ways.

I find that vinegar-stout sauces taste better than expected when allowed a day or two to marinate, and especially when tasted on the meat. I think though that apple cider vinegar is generally over-rated and adds a tartness that you don't get with regular vinegar.

I agree with both Dave & Bob.

Allow the vinegar sauce to mix with the other ingredients for a day or two will help the vinegar to be toned down. Also adding sugar, especially brown sugar, will help minimize the vinegar taste/smell.

Also remember that ketchup, mustard and Worcestershire sauce all have vinegar in them, so you may want to consider reducing the amount of vinegar you add to your sauce recipe. One more suggestion - white vinegar, Balsamic vinegar and rice vinegar are all less "vinegary" than apple cider vinegar, so you may want to mix in one of those if your main vinegar is apple cider vinegar.

was it too much on the meat or just by itself? what were you eating it with or planning to eat it with. i use basically straight vinegar with some pepper for pulled pork which is way too strong by itself but the fat in the pork really cuts the vinegar's intensity down and they complement each other very well IMO.

Water or something water-based (as long as it is not acidic) will tone down the vinegar. Sugar only masks it - and it takes a lot to do so.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Will give them a try.
Will admit that the sauce had not had much time and was tasting it by itself. We use this sauce on both beef and pork. I'll give it a couple days in the frig then give it another try. Probably try water first since it is on the thick side and go from there.
Thanks again,
Steve

I like a little of the following in sauces
(try them all or any combo that you like):

-Molasses
-Bourbon
-Dark Brown Sugar
-A little "hit" of your favorite hot sauce
-A bit of fruit (fresh ground, jam, jelly)

It's been mentioned to give it a day or two, but I wanted to also point out that tasting it hot on the stove will also have a pronounced effect as well.

I treat my rib sauce like chicken wing sauce. I make it way to tart, way too sweet, and a little bit too spicy. I Heat it up, and right before I brush it on the ribs... remove from heat and throw in unsalted butter, stirring it into the sauce till melted. It mellows out the sugars, heat, and acid.... gives the ribs a great shine... Tastes amazing.

Try a tablespoon in about a cup of sauce to see if you like it... Adjust to your taste.

Back