Talk to me about Ruth Chris steaks

For the cost of a sit down at Ruth's chris, i"ll feed my family better then they will for a week at home!

I think part of the reason Ruth Chris' steaks are good is the fact that someone eelse is fixing it for me. I feel like I am being "treated".
Ray

IMO, Ruth's Chris is not the place to get spendy on steaks. It's another chain pumping out birthdays and business dinners. Find your local and support them instead.

If you can get prime, dry aged beef you can make a steak as good as they can.

One thing in the video, notice how they squirt butter around the steak onto the hot plate...which gives the appearance that the steak is sizzling when it arrives. It's not and it's been rested.

Hello fellow Andy,

I've been reading about dry aging and I'm going to do a 2-day dry aging to start with. Once I pull it out of the fridge, Will I be dealing with any mold? or is 2 days too short for mold to appear? Will I need to trim the meat? What should I expect?

Hey Andy,

The only dry aging I've done is using the special bags and I've only aged full sub primal cuts (14lb sides) and after aging slicing them into individual steaks. I've never tried the Atlon Brown method. I'd be curious on your results.

After aging for seveal weeks I have to carve away the dry, dark, leathery exterior. There is no mold.

Just a note to those who aren't aware, Ruth's Chris started here in New Orleans.
It also holds the distinction of being the most expensive place I have ever eaten, but of course I was not the one paying on either occasion. If one of you would like to pick up the tab, I would be happy to accompany you there.

IMO, Ruth's Chris is not the place to get spendy on steaks. It's another chain pumping out birthdays and business dinners. Find your local and support them instead.

^^^^THIS !!^^^^

If you are going to spend the money on a great steak dinner, look for a local flavor. I guarantee if you have a Ruth Chris in your area, there are probably 10 local places that do as good a job if not better than a chain. Plus having a brother in the industry for many years, I've learned that local places have a tendency to make most if not all their stuff from scratch where chains are buying from distributers and then either just reheating or minor doctoring of their dishes.
Also its a bonus if you can find a local place that uses all local or regional suppliers of meat, vegetables, etc.

Last edited:
I was in advertising for years in N.O. and Ruth's Chris was one of my clients for about 1-1/2 to 2 years. N.O. was Ruth's first two RCSH properties and we were where home office was located until Katrina. Ruth must've rolled over in her grave when they moved HQ to Florida after the storm -- she'd already sold it a couple of years before she passed away. We represented Ruth's owner-owned stores and a couple of the then-franchises. Now there are more than 50 worldwide, I believe. There were about 20 total when they were my client. Let me be clear about one thing: Each outlet cuts it own meat and it was dry-aged when they got it and dry-aged a bit more in-house. Though they had recipes to follow, all their food was prepared from scratch and not bought pre-made from distributors. Each franchise was also allowed to make a couple of things unique to their area, say a certain kind of appetizer or dessert.

They do put a pat of butter on the steaks prior to serving to make the stake sizzle (that's how we advertised it -- sizzling -- and that's how Ruth wanted it served) but they have never put a stick of butter on each steak. You can request no butter if that bothers you. Ruth was really adamant about serving steaks the way they looked in an ad. She wouldn't even let us put parsley on the plate with the steak since they didn't do that in the restaurant.

She was a lovely lady and wonderful to deal with. Once my husband and I went without reservations and there were no tables available -- Ruth took us in the office and we ate there. She was a very smart, hardworking, level-headed woman who did a lot of kind things for people that no one knew about. I know, as I witnessed a lot of her kindnesses. She also hired only middle-age to older women as waitresses, and this was at a time when no upscale restaurant in N.O. was using women as servers. Her staff was loyal beyond belief. And deservedly so.

And get jealous, 'cause when I represented RCSH, Ruth would sell me steaks so we could cook them on the grill! Yippee!

Meh. When I ate there, I had a fillet cooked medium. The edges were basically pot roast. The middle was good. I've done better at home.

Thanks for the insight Michelle. Sounds like a good business-woman and person. I've had some pretty good meals at various RCSH over the years.

You'd laugh, Jim, as a local place selling meat -- Gourmet Butcher Block -- spoiled us. We get our ribeyes cut 1-3/4 inches (I like them medium rare with a nice sear on the outside whereas Brian likes his medium but will eat medium rare or rare when they're cooked and cold) with their seasoning put on. They will pack them 2 to a pack for the freezer (sealed), too. I don't know what's in their seasoning but the steaks are to-die for and I'd kill to have that seasoning mix (nope, they don't sell it to you but will just apply it for you generously). Occasionally I see the owner, Glen (he got an All Madden Award years ago for his turducken and has the framed leather All Madden Team jacket hanging on the wall in a shadowbox), and he always laughs when I tell him he "ruined" Ruth's Chris for us. He always smiles at me when he sees me in the store as he once told me he cuts the ribeyes he cooks the same thickness we do.

What's amazing about the seasoning is that it makes the steak taste delicious immediately. We have NEVER served these steaks at home where someone didn't say it was the best steak he ever made. They're not cheap by any means but it's still a lot cheaper than going to RCSH!

Unless I'm in a hardcore steakhouse, I never order a steak. If I go to a good restaurant, I order things that I don't normally make at home. Steak at my house is as good as you can get at a seriously reduced cost. Cow is good food.

Back