Tale of Two Grills

That is like looking at 2 pretty girls one a blond the other a brunette and trying to decide which is prettier. I can't I'm a sucker for anything pretty girls, grills, what have you. Neither is "prettier" each has their own virtue

My two cents would be that I am not as fond of all stainless, but I do actually like my stainless Genesis Platinum. The light gray control panel, firebox and endcaps give a mild set-off but are enough to keep it from looking like a "soup can." I also like grills that use the bold contrast of stainless and black - Genesis/Summit Gold come to mind. That would also apply to the Rec Tec Bull I have posted about. I wouldn't like it nearly as well if the lid was also stainless color. The black lid and black frame, I think, look really sharp in contrast with a fair amount of stainless.

I think it would be interesting if one of the "high-end" grill makers would try adding some contrasting porcelain coated stainless (is that possible?) trim. You could have black, red, blue - who knows. I think the Lynx could look much more warm and inviting with just a modest amount of contrasting color.

Jon, the Skyline still looks as good as the first time you posted it.
What are you doing with it when not in use? Do you cover it?
Store indoors?

Dave,

That’s really kind, but a closer look would show it has seen quite a bit of use. After tax season I hope to finally get my Genesis Platinum finished and make it my everyday grill. Then the Skyline will get a thorough cleaning and be more of an occasional grill/deck queen;).

I do have to keep my Skyline outside, but it is under a Weber cover.

Last edited:
My first car was a 63 Impala convertible. Definitely better than that import. Only problem I had was when it rained, it dripped water from the latches. Unfortunately, it got totaled by an Opel who hit my Impala in the a-frame for the left front wheel. I then ended up with a Dodge Dart which was a big letdown. Definitely, the Skyline is the better look on your deck!

Hey Dan, that's OK. When my older sister was in high school ~1958/1959 my Dad traded in his '57 Chevy with the higher performance engine on a Rambler! He said it was practical, but I don't think she ever forgave him:rolleyes:!

Dave, I do have to keep my Skyline outside, but it is under a Weber cover.

Good to know. I am going to be ripping down my tiny little 8x8 deck starting soon,
and will be building a much more useable 12x30. I have always kept all my grills in the
garage and rolled out front onto the driveway to use them. I plan to actually keep a
grill (or two or three) out on the deck. I will be using a cover for sure to keep them
looking as good as yours.

Yah, I have finally decided to go with a cover as well and free up some space in the garage. I just bought a King Kong and it arrived this morning.

I was kind of disappointed as it is a rubbery vinyl material. I am afraid it will trap moisture inside the grill. But it does seem very waterproof.

I was kind of disappointed as it is a rubbery vinyl material. I am afraid it will trap moisture inside the grill. But it does seem very waterproof.

The King Kong one I got for a Performer (that I later sold) seemed that way to me, too, but it was strong. I know some have commented that they don’t like the new Weber covers, but I like that they can breathe. So far, they also seem much more resilient to our Florida sun.

If you are wanting to prevent any water from passing through to the grill go with something like King Kong, but if you want your grill to dry out after getting wet underneath, the new Weber covers seem good to me. The old Weber ones had vents which is nice, but in our conditions they also seemed to quickly get hard and brittle.

Last edited:
The Classic Accessories Ravenna covers have served me well. They've held up well, but when I did have an issue, the company replaced for free under warranty. I keep my Summit under one, and have their covers for all my roof deck furniture. So they're getting direct sunlight all year round.

Jon, you're Skyline is a magnificent accessory to your deck! Very classic machine in excellent condition! I just love the "old" US Webers.

Jon, you're Skyline is a magnificent accessory to your deck! Very classic machine in excellent condition! I just love the "old" US Webers.

Thanks, Kyle! The fun thing about that particular grill is that it is very much a "Frankenstein" with parts from several grills. It has wood slats and a 1000 series 13 bar firebox but I also used end cap trim pieces and knobs from the very last Genesis Silver. Plus my White Sox decoration, of course :D!

Back