Take a Wok on the Tilapia Side

Sean, I can't tell you how awesome it was cooking on this thing for the first time. The sound of the chicken as it popped was amazing. I would definitely be ready with everything you need; because when it gets going, its a little like a runaway train. I would definitely have a quart of water ready if things get hot and scalds your oil. It is great to be able to put things up the sides to stay warm... Truly awesome.

Thanks Jim Lampe for the post. I am doing a review-type post in Weber Accessories including future cooks.

Yay Ernie! Glad to hear you enjoyed your first cook. I did another stir fry last night, but did Mongolian BBQ style, with a ton of ingredients and everyone made their own, which was very fun, and I did all the actual cooking. Great time, really tasty stir fries, and the discada performed perfectly. It can definitely get a little hot, but i've not had real problem with the heat, just have to keep your good moving around pretty fast. Lots of sizzling though, so it sounds like the cook really knows what's going on!

Hi Guys
It is so good to read the enthusiasim in all your posts about using a wok on a kettle/performer. As you are all starting to find out that your choices of what to cook are limitless. I have been using a wok for several years on my performer/kettles. The one thing, actually 2 things, that I discovered was that I needed to practice controlling the heat for different types of dishes. The other thing that I do is; I use 2 different woks - one for more delicate flavours like most seafood (without heavy gutsy sauces and the other for general cooking. They are great for cooking curries, tandoori, soups, stewsetc. Chicken is especially good as you can use a chicken fillet for anything. Flash fry a couple of rashers of bacon and some sliced mushrooms. Butterfly a chicken thigh fillet and place the bacon and mushrooms in it along with a couple slices of cheese. A little oil in the wok and put the chicken in and cook for a couple of minutes on each side you will need to turn it regularly so as not to burn them and there you have it - stuffed chicken. You can do this with any type of filling. I got thjis recipe from a motorhome magazine only they did it on a bbq griddle plate so I gave it a go on the wok. I also used some of my special rub on the chicken.

Good to see you all having fun.

Cheers

Mike, the Mongolian BBQ thing sounds like fun. I want to do that too. About how long did it take to cook each bowl of food? Did you have many meat options? Pics?

Captain Cook, That chicken thing is a great idea. Have you made Naan on one? I was wanting to do some home made tortillas, but Indian food would be really good too.

I hope to fire up the discada tomorrow.

@Ernie: I had been landscaping all day, and was pretty dog tired, so my meat options were only chicken and shrimp. The womenfolk in attendance had cut all the veg, which was more than I could have wanted (broc, cauli, onion, mush, baby corn, cabbage, bamboo shoots, water chestnut) so we had a ton of veg. Everyone but me did shrimp, which go really fast, so for the shrimpy folks, the total cook time was probably 7-8 mins, with about 3 of that having shrimp tossed in. My chicken mish mash took a little longer. I did the chicken first for about 2-3 mins, took it out, did the veg (pretty much all of them) until they were close, then put my bird back in. Maybe 10 mins on mine, since I got a little gluttonous on my quantity. One thing I learned from this cook. AVOID high sugar sauces, they burn very very quickly. Since I was super smart by the time mine went into the wok, I used sesame oil, rice vinegar, soy, and sriracha. Came out very delicious, with no sticky mess to clean up. The first bowl was a mess, hoisin stuck like a bugger, so I started over from scratch after that one, washed out the wok, re-oiled. But, much fun was had by all. I can imagine having 3 or 4 woks in front of me and bouncing back and forth between them, that would be super fun. As for pics, didn't take any, but I thought it about it when I sat down to eat!

i didn't get a chance to use it
icon_frown.gif

if i use it with the bottom of my wsm, what do you reckon, max a full chimney of charcoal? from what y'all are saying it's pretty darn efficient with the heat...and it's not like i'll need a couple of hours worth of fire!

So far, I've erred on the side of more than enough heat. I've u sed a full chimney of K, and that is more than enough heat to go around. I do have a big air gap though, so the coals really get going hot and fast. Your disc will be the same distance away from the coals as mine, and I think I would be fine as frog hair with 3/4 of a chimney. On Saturday night, I was wok-side for about 45 mins to an hour, and I could have gone for another 45 mins easy with the full K chimney. I haven't cooked anything yet with it though that I didn't want real hot hot coals, but I think if I were to do like an egg foo yong or something, I would use less coals so it didn't instantly burn the eggs. Keep an eye on your oil, and that'll tell you the story of your fire. Careful not to scald it, but with canola, you can get that stuff pretty darn hot.

Thanks to Jim Lampe for the heads up on this beautiful Southwest Disc wok. I just ordered the Bosque del Apache (Oak Wood) Design wok and the large Discada Plow Disc Trivet from Southwest Disc. Dave gave me a 10% off code to help defray the shipping costs. I can't wait to try this on the Weber. Pictures to follow as soon as I can get them.

Todd, you will love it! So far, at least 6 people I know have bought these. We got my brother the Rio Grande for his birthday. He went nuts. I made fajitas a couple days ago. It works great, and is a LOT of fun to cook with.

Forgot about this thread, glad to see it back! Congrats on the purchase Todd, you'll absolutely your Discada. I've not used mine over the winter, may just be time to dust it off this weekend, looks like the weather may line up just right for it.

Tilapia! If you read a bit about how they are farmed in sewage in 3rd world countries you might change your mind and get some nice Walleye for the grill next time.

Walleye is fine fish , but i highly doubt the Tilapia I grilled last April, Bob, was farmed in the sewers or sewage of a 3rd world country.

I appreciate your concern.

Back