Take a Wok on the Tilapia Side

Jim, I had no idea disk woks covered the entire surface of the grill. What a great product. I would love to make a big old stir fry outdoors.

you betcha! these are 22" huge, and will last a lifetime.
OhYeah, one more thing Mike, get a giant burlap bag to store your new disk in while not in use.
Burlap will keep it free from rust. Nothing else works better.
Extra large burlap bags can be hard to find, i got a couple on eBay for five bucks each, never used after the coffee beans were removed.
And a metal bucket or something like it to rest the hot wok on AFTER it is removed from the grill.
ChopSticks not included
bounce.gif

Thanks a million for the responses Jim! As for my first wok-ing, highly probably that a pound of bacon will meet its maker, since that'll be kind of a good tool to teach me with for temp regulation and exactly how hot I want it, then it'll be time for seafood I suspect, shrimp and scallops. Then, well, who knows! Where's a guy like me get some of those chopsticks? With those, you've got a backyard Benihana! I'll hunt around for some burlap bags too, don't see burlap anywhere really anymore. I could always get some burlap in a roll and sew a bag too, well, have someones else sew me a bag.

bacon is a good thing... helps season the wok with the fat. good choice.
Mike, i have an extra burlap bag if you like...

Got my disc today, and was thinking about just doing a pound of bacon in it to kind of get a feel for it. Well, I thought to myself, why not just go in with both feet and cook something I could be proud of. Whipped up a quick stir fry, chicken, onion, gr. pepper, baby corn, mushies, bamboo shoots, and water chestnuts. Oh my good gravy was that fun, and delicious. It is scary to think that with use, this thing is only to get better. Never have I cooked on something with such even heating. Can't thank Jim enough for the original tilapia post and bringing this marvel of modern culinary technology. If you like cooking, not just BBQ, you need to invest in a discada, your grandkids grandkids will thank you when they are using it.

Awesome, Mike! I get mine this Thursday, and I can't wait. You did it right... Dive right in. Did you do some bacon before the stir fry?

Do you, or any other owners have any tips for a proud new owner. I'm gonna score some burlap. What about utensils? Any good ideas?

i think i get mine on thursday too!

do you think i can set it on top of the bottom section of my 18" wsm? that seems my most likely scenario.

I was planning on bacon, but it came so well lubed that I didn't even bother with it. I'm using again tomorrow for a work function, so I really wanted to test it out the right way to get a feel for it.It took me a bit to get the fire to where I wanted it, I started with too few coals, but my chimney was full, it was just a couple really big chunks of lump that took up all the space as it turned out. So, I double-quicked another 1/2 chimney of Kingsford and I was all set. I let it get good and hot, first just naked (the wok, not me) to burn off any garbage left from packing and stuff, then I put my oil in and it got nice and ripply right away, so I threw my chicken and it was the greatest sizzle i've ever had! The disc resonated the noise down into the kettle and back out, it was awesome! Stir fried my chicken, took it out, did my veg, chick back in, and then we ate. Easily top 3 fun cooks i've ever done.

I rigged up a little system for elavating my wok to give me an air gap to keep the coals going. The wok fits pretty much right tight down on the rim of the kettle, so elevation is needed. I had a fleeting moment of lucidity, and I took the ring from my WSM, and the charcoal grate, put 3 thin bricks down on the grate of the kettle, put the WSM grate on the bricks, then put the WSM ring on the grate, gave me a 1 1/2" air gap, it was perfect, and VERY stable sitting inside the charcoal ring from the WSM. I used a giant stainless spatula that I have, worked very well for it, now I just need one more so I can two-hand the tossing. Little heavy to a skillet style toss!

Thanks, Sean. The coffee bag is a good idea. I don't know about you, but I am ready to get this thing.

The bottom of the WSM should work fine, unless I'm overlooking something. I was thinking about putting it on a little Smokey Joe to have portable tacos in the park.

Mike, I've seen some big flips on Iron Chef. You can do it. Your description of the stir fry chicken was great.

UPS is telling me mine will arrive on Friday
icon_smile.gif

yeah, if the bottom of the WSM works then I'll pick up a smokey joe so i'm not always disassembling my wsm...

Did fajitas for everyone at work today, i'm unstoppable! Came out excelent, grilled the flank on one OTS, then had my disc set up on another one. Used the same setup as the last time, in terms of hardware, just more coals to start with. Got the wok smokin' hot, did the veggies (poblanos and onions) and then I did the shrimp on the disc too, and those buggers came out really nice. Again, a flawless performance from the disc!

Ern, if you are thinking about using it with the SJ as heat source, I would be careful since the disc is so much larger than the SJ, and also very heavy. I got the horseshoe handles on mine, weighs in at nearly 25 lbs. I hadn't thought of using the bottom section of the WSM, but I like that idea, easy to travel with too, just not as high up as the OTS, but I could always rig up a platform for it. And, i'm a big boy (6'10", 350) but there ain't no way I'm trying a skillet flip with this thing, i'd burn my man boobs right off!

Saturday is build-your-own stir-fry night, I think.

Fajitas sound cool. By the sound of it, I'm sticking with my 22 ots for a heat source. The build your own stir fry thing would be fun. I like when they do that in restaurants. Have fun. Tomorrow is the day for me. Stir fry chicken and veggies.

Back