tail gating grill? weber Q or Smokey joe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Goin

TVWBB Super Fan
Well I am in a dilema. i have a season tix for the Jaguars and had a smokey joe( kent it out and guess what its no longer in my garage). I am looking for a grill to tailgate before the games. And as the jaguars previous seasons would have it, they have a majority of 1:00 kick offs. I love charcoal, hate gas, howebver love weber and with having to cook before each game I am looking for a grill that will cool down fast after being done cookig to secure it, before the game. any suggestions?
I have been looking at the "Q". But it is pricey and in case i had to hide it under my Suv i would hate for someone else to find it and mae it theirs. But!! Charcaol grills dont cool very fast with charcoal in them? Any suggestions? Dump the charcoal after cooking? or Buy the "Q" and have a good time?

P.s. cooking for me (all 130lbs of me), My wife and my 4 year old!!!

Not a lot of food, but i alwasy overcook and love sharing with others!!

matt--

I have a 19" Weber kettle. I used to be able to run a chain through the vent holes and lock it to my bumper.

Suppose I could have wrapped the chain around a wheel if I'd needed to. Would that work for you? No reason why you couldn't do the same thing with a WSM.

I just tailgated with two smokey joes---one for brats in a beer/butter/onion bath (medium heat), and the other running hot to steam clams in butter and beer and garlic. You could probably get by with just one, if you gave yourself alot of time.

Got a smokey joe for just such occasions. If I'm cooking, I drive the PU. Then just leave it in the back. I hope my insurance agent isn't reading this.
icon_biggrin.gif

p.s. and Susan... I want to party with you. You've got all the neat toys, and cook great sounding food.
icon_biggrin.gif
When you going to break out that Lodge grill?

I recently got a BabyQ. It's a perfect size for tailgatin'

One thing though. They advertise it as having "Porcelain Enameled Cast Iron" grates. They have some sort of coating on them, but it isn't what you normally call "Porcelain". And the Cast Iron takes a long time to cool down.

It does cook nice, however.

Chris,

I thought about breaking out the Sportsman's thingy today, but I think I'll be so drunk, er, so relaxed by the end of the game that I won't get around to it, as I wasn't able to get an early start on shopping for steaks, etc. So that poor little puppy will have to wait for later this week.

Also, my Pyromid should hopefully arrive this week, so now I've got TWO cool toys to play with! Not counting the groovy Simpson's kettle, but I decided not to set it up until I know for sure Ivan is not headed here at any point. It's safe in its box in the living room right now.

On edit, I'm eating mixed fajitas from Rio Grande, plus their famous chips and salsa and ok maybe just a wee bit of con queso. This carryout order always originates at the bar cuz you can fit in two margaritas while yer waiting, and it's my Redskins game day ritual! (Well, one of them---the other involves Hard Times 5 way Texas chili mac, all the way wet)

Chris,

It's this portable grill I'd never heard of until some fellow named Zydeco Paws posted it in the list of grills he owns (under polls on this site). They don't make 'em anymore (at this time) but the same day Bill Hays posted this link (www.pyromid.net) so I could read about them I found one on ebay and snatched it up.

The whole shebang folds down to an inch thick, then expands so you can cook on it as high as 1100 degrees, which it can achieve with just 9 coals...! depending how you orient them (flat, or on their edges). It also burns any manner of fuel you can find---moose droppings, sticks, etc., so it's very enviro-smart.

It's coming sometime this week, I hope. I got a brand new, never been used one with a camouflage cover, tho it is apparently missing the instruction manual, which is ok cuz I printed off the site.

Zydeco Paws sez he has 3 of 'em---one of each size. Mine appears to be the 12 inch model. If it works ok I'm thinking maybe I'll leave it in my car with just a wee bit of charcoal for those times when I wish I had a grill handy....! Jeez, if it really just takes 9 coals, I'm pretty excited. That means the charcoal in my shed will last until....well, until the end of the Mayan Calendar in 2012!

Went to the Pyromid site (thanks for the link).

I've seen those before. It was years ago though. Used to be a whole lot more "out door-sy" than I am now. Probably was in some camping store.

Matt,
That would have been my choice, too. Not sure about your stadium, but here in Kansas City at Arrowhead, they have bins for dumping spent charcoal. So, after you're done with your cook, smother the coals with sand or water and then take it to the dumpster.

Sure beats coming out after the game and finding that your Smokey Joe burned up your vehicle.
sam

i have a smikey joe. in my opinion i find it too small unless it's just burgers for two. also, if you wanna just run... nothin beats just turnin the gas off.

Les,

Check out the smokey joe platinum!!! It is the 18 1/2 inch Kettle!!!!! Compact and no wheels.. Will fit in the trunk of a Yugo!!(They dont have trunks) and in all SUV"S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back