Tacos: Mex BBQ

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
We had a friend and family catering gig on Saturday for approximately 70 people. The plan was to roll out some appetizers and an entrée of tacos. The taco meats (chicken and pork) were from a couple of recipes that I have been modifying and tweaking over the past year or so and after this run, I am finally feeling really confident about both recipes. I didn’t take too many pics (I was focus on quality here, no time to play), but I’ll try to document the process best I can, and post the recipes in their respective sections, and link to them here.

So this post is for those of you that need bbq recipes for a party where a reheat is involved and you’re looking for something a little different.

Part One: Chipotle Orange Chicken

recipe

I made the brine on Wednesday and injected 6 chickens on Thursday night. I slashed up the skin some, since I wasn’t planning on serving the skin, and I injected a few ounces of brine into the breasts and thighs. Friday morning, I pulled the birds out of the brine, dunked them into a sink full of clean, fresh water, set them into beer can racks, and loaded them upright, in a tub to drain and dry before rubbing. I rubbed each with a tablespoon of rub, making sure to get the meat under the skin.

The six birds went on the wsm Friday morning, breast facing center, and hit with a little cherry wood during cooking. I had trouble getting the wsm much over 300*, not sure if this was a result of the reduced air movement from the mass of poultry or not. After about 2 hours I probed them and found the thighs, that were facing out, were in the 170’s but the breasts were lagging in the 140’s, so I spun them all around. After another hour or so, the breasts finally reached 165*. I figured we were money, since they had been over 140* for more than an hour, and were going to be reheated to 165* before the party.

IMG_2313.jpg

After letting them rest and cool, I broke the birds down into wings, legs, backs, an breasts. The boned breasts were left whole, everything else was pulled from the bone. The reserved meat was held in aluminum roasters and put on ice to rapid chill. The remaining skin and bones were put in a stock pot and cover with water. I simmered the stock for a couple of hours before straining and chilling. I separated the chilled stock, and reserved the fat for a future batch of tamales (smokey, chipotle, chicken tamales that is
icon_wink.gif
).

For the reheat, I sliced the breast and mixed in some of dark meat and added hot stock. I drop a thermometer probe into the roaster, covered it with foil. The roaster went into a hot oven. I stirred once and served when it was heated through to 165*.

The resulting meat was super moist, had a nice smokey, spicey flavor with the barest hint of orange to round things out.

Part Two: Pulled Pork Adobo

recipe

I made a batch of adobo paste and slathered up 3 butts with it.

IMG_2312.jpg

I gave them some hickory while the got up to 160* internal at which point I foiled them. The adobo which consisted of mostly chile (ancho and new mex) seemed to be blackening despite running the wsm in the 260*. I foiled the butts to speed things along, and to make sure I contained some juice for the sauce. When the butts reached tender, I recovered the juice, and let them cool slightly before pulling. The juice went into a sauce that I though really made the recipe. Basically, I made another batch of adobo paste, and tossed it in a blender with a 28 oz can of tomato sauce and the defatted juice from the 3 butts. I poured this sauce (heated) over the cold meat before warming to serve.

like to here more about your catering job

I wouldn't technically call it a job, since we don't do it very often and only ask for compensation for food and fuel. This job cost the host approximately $260. We often have people tell us that my wife and I should do more of it, but its a serious drain on us to do something like this, and I'm not sure people would be willing to pay us adequate compensation for our time and effort. I spent a day out driving around for ingredients, a day smoking the meats, and the two of us spent over a day assembling things.

Were not sure why we do it at all. I figure its a good chance to practice bbq on someone else's dime, and my wife often tries new recipes to keep herself interested. I also kind of look at it as I get to attend a party and not have to worry about being served lame food.

on a side note,the party was held in a fire hall and we had access to restaurant style kitchen with a built in grill station, wolf range with griddle, walk in cooler, ice machine, and the works. I got to get some of the urge to work at a restaurant out of my system. but it sure was sweet. I wish I brought my camera, you guys would have loved it.

Kevin, thoughts on the pork recipe? I figure you can't go wrong with Bayless as far as authenticity goes. However mixing the adobo with pork juice and tomato sauce was a my own twist. The results speak for themselves, I'm just wondering what I made. I sure wasn't a mole.

I get to attend a party and not have to worry about being served lame food.
Tell me about it!

I like the pork recipe. Consider adding a little granulated onion to the paste. Just a thought. Alternatively, when not doing something as you did with the chicken, consider replacing 3/4 of the cider vin with sour orange juice for a different spin on the theme. Adding just a little grated piloncillo will bring out some of the chile flavors nicely by adding a bit of a bottom to them.

Good combo (the pork and the chicken). Sounds like a great time with great food.

consider replacing 3/4 of the cider vin with sour orange juice for a different spin on the theme

wouldn't that make it lean towards a yucatecan recado rojo? Don't those usually involve anatto rather than chiles? sounds like an interesting mex fusion.

See my recado recipe here.

nice, I'll have to cross reference it with what I've tried in the past. I'm at the point where I actually prefer pre-packaged achiote paste. I can't seem to get the flavor and consistency the way I want. I'm thinking it might be the way I handle the anatto.

I'm always chasing this amazing fish dish I had at a couple places in the yucatan. It was called a "mayan plate," but I figure out it was tikin-xic. I'll imagine a lot had to do with the freshness of the fish and the tropical locale, but I'm not going to worry too much about those variables until I get my recado right.

I have never seen recipes calling for soften the seeds first. Don't. They are a pita to grind but that's what I do. I have a really good grinder so it is not as time consuming for me but I still sieve the grind when done. There are always some pieces that escape good grinding.

Adding the other ingredients after this will get you a firm paste that you can wrap and store for whenever you need it. I wrap in small disks.

I have never seen recipes calling for soften the seeds first. Don't. They are a pita to grind but that's what I do. I have a really good grinder so it is not as time consuming for me but I still sieve the grind when done. There are always some pieces that escape good grinding.

Adding the other ingredients after this will get you a firm paste that you can wrap and store for whenever you need it. I wrap in small disks.

I dont recall ever grinding them dried. will try though. thanks.

Looks delicious - last weekend I spatchcocked 8 chickens with a nice Mexican style rub and cooked 4 on the top, and 4 on the bottom. They weren't very large birds, but it came out great.

I need to remember to save the drippings for tamales
icon_smile.gif

Looks delicious - last weekend I spatchcocked 8 chickens with a nice Mexican style rub and cooked 4 on the top, and 4 on the bottom. They weren't very large birds, but it came out great.

I need to remember to save the drippings for tamales Smiler

I would have liked to see a picture of that! I barely got 6 on standing up.

I'm trying to be better in terms of using every scrap and in the best way possible. I felt the approach I took to these six birds worked well. I had plenty of meat so I didn't have to be real frugal with the trimming. The meaty bones gave me great stock, and the skin and fat all rendered off in the stock so it was easily removed after chilling.

the result was:
a ton of meat
about a gallon of stock
about 2 cups of rendered chicken fat
about a cup of liver

I used up most of the meat and stock, but I still have a batch of tamales (or a confit) in my future and a nice liver pate.

after making a batch of tamales with bacon fat I decided I wasn't going to bother ever making them again unless I had a decent fat to make them with (IMO lard is flavorless).

J first off thank you for posting this recipe. I am going to make your chicken taco's tomorrow using my WSM. I see you said that you had issues getting the temps over 300*. I am planning on using the clay pot in the water pan so I think that might help for my situation heat wise. My question is how much K charcoal should I use to do this? Also what method for starting the fire do you suggest? I was going to use the minion method with one 3/4 full chimney lit and one 3/4 full chimney unlit under the lit. Also what target temp should I cook the chicken at? Just trying to get it all straight before I go at it tomorrow. I now have to get the brine going so I have some time. I will be making three whole fryers using cherry per your directions. I am going to use beer can chicken stands. Is a can with any juices required or just the stand? I am really stoked!!! Thank you. Vince

J first off thank you for posting this recipe. I am going to make your chicken taco's tomorrow using my WSM. I see you said that you had issues getting the temps over 300*. I am planning on using the clay pot in the water pan so I think that might help for my situation heat wise. My question is how much K charcoal should I use to do this? Also what method for starting the fire do you suggest? I was going to use the minion method with one 3/4 full chimney lit and one 3/4 full chimney unlit under the lit. Also what target temp should I cook the chicken at? Just trying to get it all straight before I go at it tomorrow. I now have to get the brine going so I have some time. I will be making three whole fryers using cherry per your directions. I am going to use beer can chicken stands. Is a can with any juices required or just the stand? I am really stoked!!! Thank you. Vince

cinco de mayo?
icon_wink.gif

I used a clay pot, for reference. As long as you have the birds probed with a therm, the wsm's temp isn't that important. Cooking time will vary, as will the condition of the skin. The hotter the wsm, the better chance you'll have of getting edible skin. I was on the low side <300*, and the skin dried out and turned to leather before crisping up. I was planning on removing the skin so it was only an issue as far as cooking time goes. Once one bird is reading in the 160's start poking around to see where they are all at, breasts and thighs. plan on rotating them at least once if you have them all on the same rack with their breasts facing in.

When I minion, I put 10-12 lit briquettes on top of a full ring (I don't use K). I like a long slow ramp up, but here I didn't need to shut the wsm down to catch a target temp, so it was more out of habit then anything. If you've tried you method and know it works then it should be fine. I don't like to run out so I usually fill the ring.

I used the can racks because I needed to get six roasters on one wsm. Brining keeps the birds sufficiently juices, I think steaming them with a beer can is redundant.

good luck, be sure to have some chipotle mayo to step up the heat and some avocados to cool thing down. and lots of tequila in case things go bad, then nobody will complain about burnt chicken.
icon_biggrin.gif

I am planning on using the clay pot in the water pan so I think that might help for my situation heat wise.
Or, you can just use an empty, foiled pan. No need for a heat sink if heat is what you're after.

Thanks J and Kevin. On the temperature I was just trying to figure out what the desired temp should be. Basically from what you have said it really does not matter. The internal temp is what is important per your advise. Got it! 160* breast and 170* in the thigh. I have pretty much followed your advise so far to a "T". I finished the brine and put the birds into the frig at about 11:00pm CST last night. I did cut the brine ingredients in half due the amount being cooked. One thing I did when doing the brine was I used a 20qt stock pot to soak the three 4.5 whole fryers. Originally I was going to use zip lock bags. I started by injecting them on the counter and realized I was making a mess. I then figured that all three of my birds would fit in the pot and began to just inject them right in the pot to avoid the mess. I did slash/stab the skin as you had said. I basically used the end of a knife and poked a bunch of holes in them. After I was done I took a plate and placed it over the chickens. Taking another bowel with some water and placing it on top of the plate. I felt this would keep birds well submerged while in the frig. Then it was time to make the dried orange zest that the recipe calls for. I have never done this so we were onto our next search. I found this http://www.grouprecipes.com/20...o-make-your-own.html by the use of
google1.gif
. Worked out pretty good and now this morning it is ready to go. I have one trip to make to the store today and I think I have everything to do this. I figure this will be an early dinner by the time I'm done. I was planning on serving these taco's with lettuce, tomato and cheddar cheese. I have never made chipotle mayo so I guess I have some more searching to do. I will work on some pictures as the day goes on as per your request! Vince

Back