T-Bone Steak

elmo

TVWBB Fan
I would like to BBQ T-Bone steak for the first time and i want to make sure i do my homework first.

I recently tried some type of other steak on the performer and it came out dry and not too good.

They are having a special at a local grocery store on good quality AAA T-Bone steaks and i will buy some from there.

I want to ask about the marinade. Should i just keep it simple with salt & pepper, olive oil and some garlic?

I saw a video on youtube of a lady putting so much salt on the steak saying this is to make the meat more tender but i dont like puting so much salt on the food because this is not healthy.

In terms of the cooking method. I was wondering if i can smoke some T-Bone steaks on the WSM and if so, would 250F be ok to use as the temp.

Or, if i cook on performer, can i cook indirect heart and then do a reverse sear.

My family likes the meat medium to well done. What would be best internal temp for that?

Lastly, i dont know if it is even possible but if i can manage to get the butcher to give me a big pice of uncut T-Bone steak, will that be nice to do indirect heat instead of doing the individual cut steak pieces?

Overall, i would like to go with cooking option that will give the best and most tender T-Bone steak.

elmo

Grill them direct at ~450 flipping once. They don't need any marinade. Season as you like, they are tender steaks. I use just salt, pepper and garlic, but that's the way I like them. If they are about an inch thick IMO it'll take about 3-4 minutes per side. Then judge vs the way you like them.If too rare, put back on grill for a short while. Your previous steaks were probably cooked too long. Let them sit at room temp for about half hour before cooking them and let the grill grate heat up 10-15 minutes. You should hear a sizzle when you put the steaks on the grill. Lid on. IMO, if you like med-well to well done any steak you grill might tend to be dry and not so good.

Thanks guys for the info.

Got me some nice fresh T-Bone steaks today before special is over and will try some next week and will post the results.

They went into freezer for now.

elmo

Back