Switching to Sand

Status
Not open for further replies.
A word of caution about concrete in the pan...

I remember using cutting torch on something that was setting on a concrete floor in my very younger years. Concrete when heated (super heated?) had a tendency to heat and crack (quite explosively) similar to an very cold ice cube that is exposed to warm air. Not sure what temps that was at when it occurred. There aught to be someone on this board that can speak to this phenomenon.

I would approach concrete with care...sand breaths and is where I will stay for the time being.

Well even though I am second guessing the whole concrete idea myself. I was planning on foiling it1
icon_biggrin.gif

Foiling not the issue as I see it, heat expansion/contraction of the single piece of concrete I think will be the problem. JMHO

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Finney:
... but I will miss the smell of the sacrificial beer and "cheap" bourbon cooking away in the water pan with the water. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is known as alcohol abuse, you need to get help straight away!
icon_wink.gif

All of this sand talk has me thinking about trying it. The ease of clean up seems like the main reason for doing it. That's a darn good reason too.

AR

I just re-read all of the posts and the radiant heat issue of the sand in the pan has me puzzled.

Is it same to assume that the water pan can only reach 212 degrees or thereabouts, because at any higher temps the water will boil off as steam - right?

The sand pan however has no such thermo reaction so it can continue to heat up - perhaps even to the temps of the fire/coals below it.

Therefore, wouldn't the lower cooking grate temps be much higher on the sand pan set up than on the water pan set up?

Just seeking the knowledge so that when I try it I can plan the cook accordingly.

AR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back