Switching to Sand

Status
Not open for further replies.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nick P.:
I thought about doing one of those temp. profiles, but that would defeat the purpose of the guru....not haveing to sit and watch the WSM. I usually set it and go to work. Come home and dinner is done, kinda like a crock pot!

Nick P. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, me, I like to know exactly what's going on in there...Meat temp, grate temp, etc temp LOL. Just gives me that much more peace of mind
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bryan S:
I want to use a pizza stone with the guru. I think it would work better than foil. JMO Bryan <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'll be interested in the results Bryan. My thoughts are too much heat radiation from the stone, but HEY!! What do I know
icon_rolleyes.gif

900th post boys and girls
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rita Y:
I filled my WSM water pan 2/3 to 3/4 with sand and topped the sand with an inexpensive aluminium pizza pan (the fairly flat kind with just a 1-2" slightly raised rim) to remain on top of the sand and to provide a drip-proof barrier in case of leaks in the foil. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Rita: Thanks, I'm off to find that P-pan.

**Bill's seeing stars**

The cook is done and I am 100% converted to sand!! Will have to check for "clumps" today when I clean the WSM. No cats around so I know it will be from grease!

Gotta dumb question.............."ready mix concrete" in the water pan?
icon_eek.gif
Why not?
icon_confused.gif
Seems like it would work? That way you NEVER have to worry about clumps or changing the sand? I guess no question is a dumb question, but this is kinda border line. huh?
icon_biggrin.gif

Now I am really thinking here.............I guess it would have to be a "fire proof" mixture.

Larry

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Gotta dumb question.............."ready mix concrete" in the water pan? Why not? Seems like it would work? That way you NEVER have to worry about clumps or changing the sand? I guess no question is a dumb question, but this is kinda border line. huh? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You would still have to foil the top of the cement or you would end up with puddles of grease and all kinds of grease stains on it.

Tony,
Yeah you could still foil it to make clean up easier, but you would never have to worry about changing anything again. Who cares about stains!?
icon_wink.gif

Concrete-filled water pan?? Holy cow, Rita, I think we just found a place to mount your pop-up sprinklers! Now we just have to figure how to mount mine in the lid...

Do all you "sand panners" fire up only using the Menion Method? Or are there still variations?

I may succumb to peer pressure and switch (one day), but I will miss the smell of the sacrificial beer and "cheap" bourbon cooking away in the water pan with the water. Hey, I know it probably didn't do much (if anything) for the meat. I just liked the way it smelled. And besides, who can argue with a liquored up butt.

Chris, I've never tried to put anything other than water in the water pan. So you've done beer and you've done bourbon (or maybe you do those together?). Raichlen sometimes puts apple juice instead of water (yipes, that's alot of juice! maybe he adds it TO the water) and I think I've seen folks toss onion slices in there.

I guess that aroma would have a chance to do at least a little SOMETHING to the meat, wouldn't it?

One day I'll be brave and try something.

Heck, the bbq gods prolly appreciate the offering...!

My findings using sand in the big Brinkman pan-

Gets up to temp very slightly slower. I would guess the pan filled 2" from top to be about 20-25 lbs.

Stays at temp very very stable -- big heat sink! Getting big temp swings just doesn't want to happen, which can be a good thing, or bad.

Almost impossible to get temp down using vents alone if temp gets too high. Start shuttin' down earlier.

If an emergency, add cold water to the pan -- right in the sand -- which is tough to do if you've foiled everything, but it'll bring down the temp pretty quick. Once the temp is down, it'll take time to get it back up too. And then you also get the whole "cat-box" situation with the grease in the sand.

One issue I've not dealt with is bottom grate temp. I don't know (never checked) for any radiant heat problems from such a large mass of sand so close to the bottom grate.

Could scorch your bottom grate goodies? I wouldn't think so, considering everything is theoretically the same temp. But what the hell do I know?

Susan, It's usually a combo of h2o, oj, and beer. I add in the bourbon on occasion. I've got a few bottles that a guy at work gave me. He quit drinking. Not very good stuff, but works for this.

The beer smell reminds me of when I lived near Williamsburg and would drive past the A-B plant. Had season tickets to Bush Gardens, got my ticket cost back in beer samples alone.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> One issue I've not dealt with is bottom grate temp. I don't know (never checked) for any radiant heat problems from such a large mass of sand so close to the bottom grate. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin, interesting that you mention this. I have two therms mounted into my WSM - one just above the bottom grate and one just above the top grate.

I've always been puzzled by the readings. The bottom one is almost always reading hotter than the top. (I have the Brinkman pan loaded with sand.)

Last night doing turkey breasts the temp on the bottom therm was 300-310, the top therm was 250. After I took the turkey off I just let the WSM run, later the bottom therm was 350, the top was 290.

Of course another factor to consider is the stem length is 2 1/2" which puts it in just barely past the hot zone.

Kevin,
You mentioned, <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Gets up to temp very slightly slower. I would guess the pan filled 2" from top to be about 20-25 lbs.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Use the Weber pan, I had no problems getting to temp or maintaining. From what I have heard from others they use the Weber pan too. The Brinkmann pan holds too much sand.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tony Serra:
Larry

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Gotta dumb question.............."ready mix concrete" in the water pan? Why not? Seems like it would work? That way you NEVER have to worry about clumps or changing the sand? I guess no question is a dumb question, but this is kinda border line. huh? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You would still have to foil the top of the cement or you would end up with puddles of grease and all kinds of grease stains on it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Hey Larry, I'm thinking the concrete would probably be porous too and/or develop cracks. When you do get a leak in the foil guck would be trapped in the concrete and the only way to get the new life form out would be to remove the concrete.

After reading 2 pages of this thread it seems that the Brinkmann pan is out and the WSM pan is in. Double layer of foil on top of sand or a cheap pizza pan. Now it seem like a little trial and error to fine tune it.

Okay...here's the inside poop on concrete. It will definitly crack and absorb grease and eventually have stuff growing in it. It wouldn't be imposible to remove and replace the concrete, but I think it's easier to clean up after water use or dump and replace sand as required from leakage. I mix concrete all of the time and wouldn't considerite in my water pan!
icon_wink.gif

Nick P.

I am having second thoughts about the concrete too, why, why I ask myself!!
icon_eek.gif

I just cleaned my WSM after the CR yesterday. Removed the foil, not a drop of grease in my sand!
icon_biggrin.gif
I AM LOVING THE SAND!!
icon_biggrin.gif
No coagulated greasewater to dump!!! Oh yeah!!
icon_cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back