Sweet sauce for spicy ribs

Dave_S

TVWBB Member
I smoked up a bunch of ribs for my family to be finished and eaten at the beach next week. They turned out a bit on the spicy/salty side. I don't think anyone would complain (I love 'em), but I'd like to serve them with a sweet sauce. Perhaps something with orange?

Any recommendations for a recipe or something store bought that you love that leans to the sweet side? I'm not usually into them myself.

TpfNw.jpg

I like Blues Hog which you can get at theBBQguru.com @ Warminster. Last weekend, I tested out Sweet Baby Rays, from BJ's...which is also pretty sweet.

Personally, I would get Blues Hogs and doctor it up with Orange zest. Hmmm..that does sound good, think I'm going to test this out this weekend.
icon_cool.gif

How does reheating ribs taste? I like the concept of cooking them for a nice beach day. Do you sauce them and put them on the BBQ to heat them up?

If you buy your ribs name brand from a supermarket, chances are great that they were 'enhanced', treated with a salt solution.
Apparently the large meatpackers are of the opinion that we are generally too feeble minded to be able to season meat all by ourselves.
If that is the case, and your rub contains salt as well, salty food.
I will routinely combine 3 parts KC Masterpiece with one part honey. My nieces prefer a sweet sauce.

You could doctor up a bottled sauce with some Orange Marmalade and thin it with some Coca Cola, simmer till it becomes more of a glaze. Add a shot of Vodka and you're good to go!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Tim

I hear a lot of people praise Sweet Baby Rays, but I like Stubbs a LOT more.

The only Stubbs I don't care for is the pecan sauce. I can see how people would like it, it's just not for me.

I am too new at this to brew my own!

Thanks for all the replies. I'll take them all into consideration.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Hartwell:
If you buy your ribs name brand from a supermarket, chances are great that they were 'enhanced', treated with a salt solution.
Apparently the large meatpackers are of the opinion that we are generally too feeble minded to be able to season meat all by ourselves.
If that is the case, and your rub contains salt as well, salty food.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I've made those mistakes before. Brined enhanced ribs once and another time doubled dipped on salt with the brine/rub. No enhancement to these slabs (at least so far as I can tell from the packaging) and I chose to brine and use no salt in my rub.

They did brine a bit long due to my work schedule, though (about 3 hours), so I rinsed them very well in fresh water. I've only tasted an outter nibble, and it wasn't like bacon salty or anything. I'm more worried about the heat than the salt factor.

Back