Surprise in the Jealous Devil aisle!

Harry makes a good rub, I don't think you'll be disappointed. You can also make a DIY all-purpose version:

View attachment 38663

Shopping for some JD and what did I see Harry Soo looking back at me.
Any thoughts on this stuff? As a Harry fan I grabbed a couple. I also picked up a few dizzy pig rubs as well.
Love seeing all the places embracing BBQ.
I can’t find many reviews on these, so you will have to be the guinea pig. Keep us posted.

Oh yeah I picked up a 20 lb bag of the XL lump and a 10 pound bag of the xl? Briquettes. Gives me something to experiment with. No Q this weekend, giving the wife a break from my messes. 😟
Got everything I need for some of Brett’s kebabs next Saturday.

Oh yeah I picked up a 20 lb bag of the XL lump and a 10 pound bag of the xl? Briquettes. Gives me something to experiment with. No Q this weekend, giving the wife a break from my messes. 😟
Got everything I need for some of Brett’s kebabs next Saturday.
Did you find success at Sadaf’s website or a local retailer? And don’t use the bottled lemon juice. Gotta be real fresh squeeze for best flavor, IMO.

FCA2C111-B2EA-4B84-A6B3-16E22D1F4F9B.jpegI found some at Safeway. I was there, I looked, I bought. Any chance you could give me some measurements for your marinade?
We have a big old Lemmon tree, I’m always trying to use some.

I love buying different rubs and trying them. Where exactly did you find these? Wally World or local grocery or..? I’d try ‘em

i'm too cheap to buy rubs. i just like to make my own and keep the ones that are worthy for repeat.

Yup....I have a pantry full of base ingredients, and pretty well make everything....so easy and much cheaper - Herbs de Provence, Italian blend, Greek blend, BBQ rub etc...

View attachment 38663

Shopping for some JD and what did I see? Harry Soo looking back at me.
Any thoughts on this stuff? As a Harry fan I grabbed a couple. I also picked up a few dizzy pig rubs as well.
Love seeing all the places embracing BBQ.

Not sure if SOUPBASE dot COM is producing this for Harry. In the past, all of Harry's commercially available rubs and sauces were produced exclusively by SOUPBASE dot COM.

View attachment 38683I found some at Safeway. I was there, I looked, I bought. Any chance you could give me some measurements for your marinade?
We have a big old Lemmon tree, I’m always trying to use some.
I usually cut chicken breasts into around 7 pieces. Larger pieces do well as they retain more moisture in this cook

I think I cooked 6 breasts cut up and had around 42 pieces to skewer.

I’m estimating I had:
1/3 cup EVOO
1 Tbs kosher salt (salt to taste, always)
2 Tsp black pepper - fine grind
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
2 Tbs Aleppo Pepper - season to taste
2 Tsp granulated garlic or you can add 4 fresh crushed garlic cloves (depending on size and how much garlic you like)
2 Tsp turmeric - adds yellow color to the chicken

After the chicken is cooked and removed from the skewer, I usually finish the chicken with a dash of salt and a drizzle of EVOO and lemon juice. Just a little to enhance the flavor when the chicken is still hot. The cooked chicken will absorb these finishing flavors. And they go well with rice, if you’re serving some.

Hopefully this helps. The marinate time was around 30-40 minutes. Since there’s a lot of acid, I wouldn’t go too long on marinate time as the acid does break down the chicken breast quite easily.

The key to juicy breasts here is to skewer and not allow the chicken to sit on the cooking grates. When the chicken is on the cooking grates, the grates pull moisture out of the meat. The metal skewers I use help conduct heat into the center of the chicken for a more even cook. I don’t use bamboo or wooden skewers because they don’t help with an even cook and increase the cooking time so you’d have to cook at a lower temp to avoid drying out the breasts.

This dish also goes well with a roasted cauliflower hummus. Super easy to make and full of flavor too.

Last edited:
I usually cut chicken breasts into around 7 pieces. Larger pieces do well as they retain more moisture in this cook

I think I cooked 6 breasts cut up and had around 42 pieces to skewer.

I’m estimating I had:
1/3 cup EVOO
1 Tbs kosher salt (salt to taste, always)
2 Tsp black pepper - fine grind
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
2 Tbs Aleppo Pepper - season to taste
2 Tsp granulated garlic or you can add 4 fresh crushed garlic cloves (depending on size and how much garlic you like)
2 Tsp turmeric - adds yellow color to the chicken

After the chicken is cooked and removed from the skewer, I usually finish the chicken with a dash of salt and a drizzle of EVOO and lemon juice. Just a little to enhance the flavor when the chicken is still hot. The cooked chicken will absorb these finishing flavors. And they go well with rice, if you’re serving some.

Hopefully this helps. The marinate time was around 30-40 minutes. Since there’s a lot of acid, I wouldn’t go too long on marinate time as the acid does break down the chicken breast quite easily.

The key to juicy breasts here is to skewer and not all the chicken to sit on the cooking grates. When the chicken is on the cooking grates, the grates pull moisture out of the meat. The metal skewers I use help conduct heat into the center of the chicken for a more even cook. I don’t use bamboo or wooden skewers because they don’t help with an even cook and increase the cooking time so you’d have to cook at a lower temp to avoid drying out the breasts.

This dish also goes well with a roasted cauliflower hummus. Super easy to make and full of flavor too.
Sounds awesome looking forward to trying this

Not sure if SOUPBASE dot COM is producing this for Harry. In the past, all of Harry's commercially available rubs and sauces were produced exclusively by SOUPBASE dot COM.
Harry's got two deals, his original deal with Soupbase and a newer deal with Jealous Devil. I've only checked the All-Purpose Rub and ingredients list is the same for both versions. I assume they're identical rubs with different labels and distribution. The JD deal gets him wider retail distribution possibilities along side other JD products at Ace Hardware and other JD retailers.

I wonder if the "manufacture" is the same in both cases.
I thought Soupbase was the manufacturer ( my memory 'kinda of 'remembers Harry saying that during class almost 10 yrs ago ... )

Last edited:
I’ve been watching Harry for years, I bought them just as much for the novelty as the rubs. Happy for him for making a deal, a while back he was contemplating quitting YouTube due to the fact he was making hardly any money. Hope this helps him out.

Back