Sure, NOW it rains...

Ron G.

TVWBB Wizard
Well, I guess that I ASKED for it, but:

Doing some over-night Pulled Pork.
Did this in order to avoid the showers that are supposed to take place TOMORROW.

Put it on around 7 PM
About 40 minutes ago, it starts to POUR Buckets!
I guess the weather schedule got moved-up.
Should've become a Weather Man! Where else can you be soooo wrong soooo often and still keep your job?

I know that my WSM can hum-along smoothly during light rain, but I'm nearly certain that this would have cooled it down / doused the coals.

Fortunately, I've got a big patio umbrella & cast-iron base. Unfortunately, I had to disassemble said umbrella and set everything up while getting completely soaked-through to the skin (OK, actually, it was a warm rain and felt pretty good
icon_wink.gif
) Stabilized it by lashing the pole to my fence that also serves as a wind-break.

Tweaked the vents & stoked the fire a bit and now she's back in the zone.

OK - rant over, I've now got a cold beer in my hand and am drying-out.

Sweet dreams everybody!

no rain here ron, not a ******* drop.
i'd grill/smoke/cook in the ********* rain if it came.

my dirt is still dirt.

I have found that doing a smoke during a rain (wish we could get a good rain here) adds character to the flavor. As you mentioned, a little cover from the heavy down pour is all the WSM needs to chug along.

Mike

Sure, NOW it rains...
I feel for ya
I did my smoking last weekend in prep for a dual graduation party today....yea about 100 people in Jacobus Park....
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_confused.gif

I guess it is supposed to move out later this morning though which is good.

One thing I have done when getting caught with heavy rains is to use a large piece of aluminum foil. Wrap some around the handle and then tent it over the exhaust vent. Then tuck it under the lid so that half of the lid is covered. Angle this section so the rain is not going directly into the exhaust vent and continue with your regular scheduled program! It has worked well for me in the past and it will work for you to!

This happened to me last night. I was fixing to get a pic of the chicken and zukes before they came off the gasser,when the bottom fell out! Luckily,the back door is just a couple steps from the back door,so the food didn't get too wet carrying it in.
Me,on the other hand,got soaked! But like I tell Pammi Sue,I won't melt. I might float away,but I won't melt!
icon_biggrin.gif

Back