Superbowl party - Pulled pork and ribs

Darren

Hey guys, I need some advice ref how many butts and racks of BB ribs you would cook for a party of approximately 30 people this Sunday for the Superbowl.

Right now Im leaning toward cooking three 8-9 Lb (uncooked) butts the night before and then using 2 rib racks, cooking around 8 racks of BB ribs the day of the event, all on my WSM. Meal will be served w/ coleslaw, potato salad and a few other odds and ends but the BBQ will be the bulk of the food. Plan to serve the pork as sandwiches.

Is this about the right amount that you would cook up? I have one WSM and one kettle. If needed I could cook additonal ribs (up to 4 racks) on my kettle if needed. I actually have more slow cooking experience on the kettle so no problem there.

Any thoughts/advise would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure about the ribs, but I remember cooking two butts for about 20 people and it seemed to work out about right. So, three for 30 may seem just right. Especially, if you're giving them ribs too.

I think depending on how big the mouths are, that would be more than enough. BBQ is filling especially if you have sides and are drinking some beers with it.

I would always lean on the side of having extra. Maybe have some burgers and bratts available to throw on the kettle if it looks like people are still hungry.

Sounds like your going to have my kind of party.

Jamie

An Independence Day party here I cooked 8 racks of BBs, 2 dozen brats and nearly 15 burgers with sides of slaw and potato salads and pesto... all for almost 30 folks.
There were no leftovers.
Darren, sounds like your menu is good to go.
Welcome to the forum and enjoy the game
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Hey guys...thanks for the advice. After trolling through the various forums here I feel pretty good about doing the butts as a Fri overnight cook, pulling the pork sat morning/afternoon and setting in the fridge. Can do the ribs Sun estimating up to 6 hours but figuring 4 or so...If I get the racks on by 11AM I figure we should be good to go for kickoff.

This forum rocks....I have been reviewing it for years...caused me to buy my WSM. Had it shipped to Aussie and you should have seen the locals...they LOVED it. I never did Kangaroo on the smoker (way to lean) but often thought of trying it...LOL

Back