Super Market Pork Loin

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
My wife was at the local super market and spotted an "enhanced" pork loin on sale. It was approaching the due date. She bought it and asked me if I wanted to try grilling it. An examination showed that it was injected and pretty much "ready to go". We removed the plastic wrap and I prepared the grill. I decided to use my indirect set up. I put a full chimney of coals behind two fire bricks and an aluminum throw-a-way pan in the indirect area. I seared it on all four sides (about two minutes a side) then moved it to the indirect area and grilled it covered for an additional twenty minutes. I used my instant read thermometer and pulled it when grilled to our taste.

I let it rest, tented, for five or six minutes. My wife had baked corn bread, made a nice salad, and prepared some "fresh from the garden" asparagus that a friend had given me yesterday. I have to tell you, the pork was dern near wonderful and you have to experience my wife's corn bread to KNOW how good it was. The asparagus was the best I have had in many a moon (thanks, Joe). The smashed potatoes were also excellent (new potatoes).

First picture shows the packaged loin. Then the way I have set up my Weber OTG with the two fire bricks. The advantage of using the fire bricks to contain the coals is that they are just under the food grill for a super hot set up for searing.
Finally, the sliced loin and my plate.

Total cook time was about 30 minutes. There is NO prep involved and for those who time is always a problem this is about as easy as it gets. The flavor was outstanding.

GrilledPorkLoinSelects-1560.jpg

GrilledPorkLoinSelects-1564.jpg

GrilledPorkLoinSelects-1566.jpg

GrilledPorkLoinSelects-1569.jpg

GrilledPorkLoinSelects-1573.jpg

Dale53

That all looks very good. I had some pork chops from Hormel earlier this week that were very good too.

I like the ready-to-go pork tenderloins for vacation grilling because of the convenience factor.

Gotta agree with the Bobs...nice crust!

Thanks for the kind words, fellows.

I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the packaged meat. Frankly, I doubt that I could have done better if I had started from scratch. Having the meat already marinated was a GREAT convenience factor. I just opened the package and placed it on the grill and started. After the grill is hot, it is a thirty minute operation for "Good Eats" (Alton Brown).

When I set up my grill, I planned for the coals to be up close to the food grill for a quick sear. It worked perfectly. Two minutes to each of the four sides, then to indirect for 20 minutes. Can hardly get easier than that. Each piece of meat is different so use your instant thermometer to check when it is done to YOUR taste.

I will be doing a lot of these this spring and summer.

Dale53

Dave;
There is the liquid marinade in the package. I presume they have to list this in the weight. I am certainly no expert but it didn't seem to be overly full of injected liquid. I guess I would suggest to someone who was interested. Try one out and see if you come to the same conclusion I did. It's very good. If it's not your thing, then just don't buy any more. For the price, I figure I got MORE than I expected.

FWIW
Dale53

The Corele (sp?) plate is the best part. It always cracks me up to see so many meals on this forum plated on them. I made off with my parents original set from when they were married in the late 60s and my dad complains about it constantly. I did hear though that they started making them again, so maybe yours aren't original?

Nice smoke.

My wife was at the local super market and spotted an "enhanced" pork loin on sale. It was approaching the due date. She bought it and asked me if I wanted to try grilling it. An examination showed that it was injected and pretty much "ready to go". We removed the plastic wrap and I prepared the grill. I decided to use my indirect set up. I put a full chimney of coals behind two fire bricks and an aluminum throw-a-way pan in the indirect area. I seared it on all four sides (about two minutes a side) then moved it to the indirect area and grilled it covered for an additional twenty minutes. I used my instant read thermometer and pulled it when grilled to our taste.

I let it rest, tented, for five or six minutes. My wife had baked corn bread, made a nice salad, and prepared some "fresh from the garden" asparagus that a friend had given me yesterday. I have to tell you, the pork was dern near wonderful and you have to experience my wife's corn bread to KNOW how good it was. The asparagus was the best I have had in many a moon (thanks, Joe). The smashed potatoes were also excellent (new potatoes).

First picture shows the packaged loin. Then the way I have set up my Weber OTG with the two fire bricks. The advantage of using the fire bricks to contain the coals is that they are just under the food grill for a super hot set up for searing.
Finally, the sliced loin and my plate.

Total cook time was about 30 minutes. There is NO prep involved and for those who time is always a problem this is about as easy as it gets. The flavor was outstanding.

GrilledPorkLoinSelects-1560.jpg

GrilledPorkLoinSelects-1564.jpg

GrilledPorkLoinSelects-1566.jpg

GrilledPorkLoinSelects-1569.jpg

GrilledPorkLoinSelects-1573.jpg

Dale53

Brian;
I confess, the Corele is original. That has been our every day "china" since at least the sixties:cool:...

The dishes are presentable, pretty dern durable, and works well in the microwave. We have broken a few pieces over the years. However, I have a very good friend that haunts the "antique" stores and he has found a number of pieces and brings them when he visits. Everyone needs a good friend or two and I have been blessed...

FWIW
Dale53

The Corele (sp?) plate is the best part. It always cracks me up to see so many meals on this forum plated on them. I made off with my parents original set from when they were married in the late 60s and my dad complains about it constantly. I did hear though that they started making them again, so maybe yours aren't original?

Nice smoke.

Hey Brian, I was raised Chinette.

Robert nice cook, I like to use a salad dressing for marinating pork loin, it works well too.
I'd like to find out more about your wife's cornbread?:)

Last edited:
GaryS.
Regarding the corn bread. My family has roots in Appalachia. I was born and raised in Southwestern, Ohio but both sides of my family came from Kentucky. Corn bread is taken very seriously in the mountains. Corn was and is a staple for both bread and, in the past, firewater. In Appalachia when you say bread you mean CORN BREAD. That other stuff is "light bread";).

A few years ago I was a very serious fly fisherman. There is some excellent trout fishing on the Cherokee Reservation in the Smokey Mountains. The mountain streams are COLD water and the bottom is covered with "greasy bowling balls" - you have to be in good shape (a walking stick helps, a LOT) to wade those steep streams with heavy current. But, they do hold nice trout.

The fly shop in Cherokee (North Carolina) was run by a Native American and we got to be great friends. My fishing buddies and I had such a great experience fishing out of that shop that we sent a bunch of people their way. As a result, the fellows in the fly shop took us to the area that THEY fished at. We were catch and release fly fishers but we had orders that day that each of us must bring two nice trout to lunch. Bob, the owner of the fly shop, made a FINE stream side lunch. The trout were fresh from the stream and we had Ramps (they were in season) from the area and potatoes, etc. cooked on a Coleman stove. Then, the piece-de-resistance - Bob pulled out a large cast iron skillet of CORN BREAD. It tasted and acted EXACTLY like what my mother made! That's when I realized that the Native Americans introduced Corn Bread to the Appalachian Settlers when the country was settled.

If anyone is interested, write me direct at rmcgee733 at gmail dot com and I'll give you the recipe.

One additional fact:
I had proposed to my fiancee' (my wife and I have been married 55 years next month). I told her that there was one condition. She had to learn to cook cornbread like my mother did. I said I would NOT marry a woman who couldn't cook REAL cornbread. She did NOT take offence but got together with my mother and got the recipe. My mother did a "pinch of this and a handfull of that" type of cook. My wife measured all of the "pinches" so that she could make consistently good bread. She fine tuned the recipe and has proven to be a better cook than my wonderful mother (who was no slouch in that department). Mother is smiling down at me as I write this, I am sure.

FWIW
Dale53

Back