Super Bowl Early Finish! Urgent!

Jon W

TVWBB Member
Last year I put my butts on at 10 pm, and they finished around 4, with a huge plateau.

So this time I started at 9 pm,and when I checked them at 9 this morning, they are done.

So now need to hold them until the game. I was thinking foiling them, and putting them into my oven at 170. Would holding like this be too long?

My other plan is to foil them, put them into the pre-heated but off oven for an hour or so to rest, then pull. Pack some for long term storage, and the remainder for reheating this afternoon (crock pot or oven).

Which would be best?

you are way too early to hold them i think. i would rest them in foil on the counter under some heavy towels for a few hours and then pull,cool, and refigerate. you can heat it back up in a pan or crockpot with some applejuice a few hours before you need it.

foil them and keep them in a cooler for a couple of hours. be sure they're wrapped good because you dont want to lose the juice. pull it when they're cool enough to handle, pour the juice into a big enough container and tuck some place cold.

I'd throw the pp into a crock pot or a foil pan which you could cover (with foil) and reheat in the oven.

Scrape/scoop the fat off the congealed juice, and incorporate the de-fatted jello back into the pp for reheating.

good luck.

Use the ice chest. Because of your time needed heat 2 or 3 bricks in a 300 degree oven. Put a towel down on the bottom of the ice chest. then lay out the 3 bricks evenly accross the bottom.Put the meat in a dish that fits and cover with foil.Stick a temp probe in the meat that can be read outside the ice chest(remote cable etc). Throw a towel over the top of wrapped meat. Never let the meat get cooler then 145.(saftey zone).
If this all works out it will be the some of the best pork you have had.When time permits this is how I finish butts and briskets.Have had briskets in for 5 hours before.

That is what I was afraid of.

I haven't had butts finish this fast (but this is only my 3rd butt smoke)

I will let them cool for a while (in 170 oven right now) and then pull.

One butt is for freezing, so it isn't an issue. The other if for the game and neighbor distribution, so that I will pull, put in the 'fridge, and reheat in a crock pot.

Thanks for the responses.

butts are funny sometimes. i put two 7ish pounders on at midnight and they are only in the mid 150's now. smoker pretty steady at 230 all night. i just bumped my pitminder up to 260.

Tony,

Same problem here. Mine are taking much longer than expected so I also cranked up the heat.

Jon, I wouldn't worry too much about this. PP reheats really well as described by the others and your guests will definitely love it.

Bob

Myself, I'd probably hold them tightly wrapped in foil in the oven at 140F for a couple hours, until it was time to cooler for maybe 6 hours. I wouldn't worry about it at all either.

I've held longer than that (unplanned) in the cooler ... they are just butts, butts can take it, I wouldn't suggest that with brisket though.

Back